What's the loveliest thing that anyone has ever said to you and it really registered?

(290 Posts)
Megglevache Wed 23-Jan-13 10:57:19

Feelgood please....no mervin' or talking about bum and banjos.

<<feels the draft of 1000's running out of this thread's door>>

DD 2.5 has just started saying 'I loves you sooo much' smilesmilesmile and 'mummy you're luffly' gringringrin

My auntie earlier this year told us our 2 DC do us proud. I felt like saying 'wait til the terrible twos really hit' grin

Pagwatch Wed 23-Jan-13 11:38:42

I don't have much confidence about a lot of things. I had a crap education but I feel I have some common sense.
Ds1 had been to his interview at Oxford.
When he came back he was raving about two of the women he met there.
He said 'they were great. Other than you and my English tutor at school they are the smartest women I have ever met. You should have gone to uni mum - you have no idea how brilliant you are'

I still fill up thinking about it and it made me feel much braver about things.

A girl on my course told me that she is always pleased to see me because I am so smiley and it makes her feel happy. I am going through an awful time at the moment and thought I was wondering around with a face like a boot. Her comment made me feel a lot better and I think I make more an effort to be that smiley person now.

Megglevache Wed 23-Jan-13 11:46:10

Pagwatch! <<beams>>

Pagwatch Wed 23-Jan-13 11:48:14

smile

I still get dewy eyed.
Especially as like mst teenage boys he ended to look at me as if I was a slug with legs
grin

A 4 yr old ds once entered the bathroom while I was waxing my very hairy calves and asked me what was I doing. I said "I am waxing my hair, ds" and he said "Oh why? it is beautiful", while stroking my (very hairy) calves...

It still warms my heart, bless him.

DuchessFanny Wed 23-Jan-13 12:01:57

My parents have each seperately told me i'm a ' fantastic Mum' which made me wobble a bit ( always worried i'm getting it horribly wrong )

And just lately was in the presence of two friends when one turned to the other and said " Duchess has delightful children, happy and kind and polite " nearly bawled there and then !

Children stuff, it will stay with me forever ... another one though which made my day, week, month, life ! My best friend and i were talking about our DHs and i admitted i've never felt good enough for him, even though he has never been anything but absolutely lovely to me, when she said " really ? because one night he told me that he couldn't wait to marry you so he could show you off, and couldn't possibly imagine life without you , you're the love of his life " i started crying there and then !!

DeafLeopard Wed 23-Jan-13 12:03:01

Sobbing at some of these

A friend "You are the kindest person I know"
DDad "You're turning into your Mum, you have unbelievable patience and love for your children"

And last week DN was off nursery and given the choice of dsis taking the day off work or spending the day with me, she chose me [preening Auntie]

Pagwatch Wed 23-Jan-13 12:03:10

grin at Franca
<<strokes her hairy calves>>

daimbardiva Wed 23-Jan-13 12:05:22

Yesterday, the chairman of the board of the company I work for told me that, if it wasn't for me, he genuinely believes we would have gone bust 18mo ago.

I am still speechless as this had not even crossed my mind before.I was just getting on with my job. smile

Megglevache Wed 23-Jan-13 12:09:15

Blimey !

TheMaskedHorror Wed 23-Jan-13 12:11:35

'I can't believe you're a real person!' Dh in a tipsy stupor when we first started going out grin

ApplePippa Wed 23-Jan-13 12:15:37

We had a long hard struggle to conceive DS, and due to fertility issues he will be our only child. He is autistic with severe speech delay.

Last spring when DS turned 3 I was really struggling with the fact that I'd never heard my own child call me "Mummy" - something that everyone else just seems to takes for granted. I was talking to a very wise and lovely lady ay my church, and expressing frustration that I felt I had been waiting forever to be called Mummy. It was a small thing, but just mattered to me - a lot.

She patted me on the shoulder and said, "Apple, he calls you Mummy all the time. You just don't hear him yet". Needless to say, I burst into floods of tears.

But I held onto her words through some difficult times! I still well up when I think about it.

<Happy ending>
DS finally said "Mummy" three days before Christmas.

Megglevache Wed 23-Jan-13 12:23:15

Apple <<snot tears!>>

SirBoobAlot Wed 23-Jan-13 12:26:33

Oh Apple I'm crying now!!

ShowOfHands Wed 23-Jan-13 12:28:59

Oh lordy <sobs>

ApplePippa and Paggy have ruined me.

Meggle, this thread is terrible. You must have it deleted. How's 2013 treating you?

CharlieSilver Wed 23-Jan-13 12:30:07

DP and I were in town and we were mucking about a bit and giggling when an old lady came up to us and said "What an absolutely lovely couple you are"

Was very sweet.

DuchessFanny Wed 23-Jan-13 12:31:30

Apple !! crying now !

Pagwatch Wed 23-Jan-13 12:32:33

Oh Apple!

<<wipes nose>>

When I went to see my nephew play a gig he introduced me to his band. The drummer shook my hand and said "So you're the awesome auntie."

Was very chuffed smile

TrainersNotHeels Wed 23-Jan-13 12:38:42

After a long labour ending up in an emergency c-section, my lovely MIL when she arrived at hospital tore her eyes away from dd just long enough to look at me and say 'I am so proud of you'.

She is fab in so many ways but I'll never forget that smile

Apple that has made me well up - so so so lovely.

Wow, Apple, you made me break out the tissues, <sob>

Megglevache Wed 23-Jan-13 12:41:08

Hey SOH ...good...although laid up on the sofa as I'm feeling a bit fluey...how is the rugger monkey?
Feel the love eh? <<grabs another kleenex and reads Apple's post again>>

Bearfrills Wed 23-Jan-13 12:45:00

Such a small thing but at the weekend we had a good 5-6 inches of snow and I needed the shop. Its a quarter of a mile away and normally takes me nothing to pop there and back on foot. I had 17mo DD in the buggy and 3yo DS in the sledge, walking pushing the buggy in front of me and pulling the sledge behind by tying the rope around my waist. It took me an hour to walk there as the snow was just churning up under the buggy and I kept getting stuck.

A woman passing smiled at me, smiled at the DCs and told me "you've got a heart as big as a lion's".

It made my day grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now