I think my baby must have a wonky widget

(206 Posts)
McPhee Sun 16-Sep-12 17:26:46

because it never ruddy sleeps!! I've had possession of this tiny human for 11 weeks now. I thought maybe it was jetlagged, or had settling in issues. You know, like when you get a new freezer?

But...mine keeps running on maximum speed, but the battery doesn't seem to discharge at a 'normal' rate? Some bugger installed a dynamo in mine hmm

Seriously. Is mine faulty?? Can I disconnect the Dynamo?

Does yours sleep, and if so how many hours during the day

McPhee Sun 16-Sep-12 20:19:03

I often think we should all be sent home with gas and air, so when it gets too painful we can walk around in that lovely haze <sigh>

I have had mine for nearly 3 year and it turns off now and again when I wish. Rest of the time it stays up running in circles. Think a switch maybe broke.

It seems to have frozen and broken down tonight as its repeating "mum, mum, mum, mum' over and over.

I was thinking of trading it in but I don't think they will accept it due to the listening malfunction. It only reacts to certain words such as chocolate, toys and firetruck.

I am thinking of doing an update but not sure how that will help. Its a 2.10 model and wondered if they work better at 3.00

ZiaMaria Sun 16-Sep-12 20:25:44

Take it to the baby change facility? grin

McPhee Sun 16-Sep-12 20:43:44

I'm fairly sure I overheard someone once saying that the 3.00 model whined slightly louder for a while. But the 4.00 model finally gets dispatched to another location temporarily during the day?

Can I upgrade straight to the 4.00?

The 2.10 version has a little whine at the moment but I thought that was issue with the programming.

It tends to also make strange noises and expect me to understand. Is that just the current model or do they all do that?

If I had know it would be like this I wouldn't have purchased it.

Think I need to change it but not sire trade ins are acceptable at this stage. Think warranty may have run out by now.

It has another owner that takes it twice a week maybe but it seems to come back worse.

StabbyMacStabby Sun 16-Sep-12 20:56:52

Yes OP, you're right about the external facility at 4.00. But the downside is when it returns for recharge after its shift, it tends to be what is technically called "tired and ratty". Breakdowns can occur with distressing frequency.

And personally, you spend a lot of its away time wondering whether its circuits are coping with the extra stimuli and what kind of examples of dodgy wiring it will exhibit when it returns to the ol' docking station. So a bit of "swings and roundabouts", really. <bites nails>

ISeeThreadPeople Sun 16-Sep-12 20:57:51

Now she was probably lying to get me through, but my hv said that non-sleeping babies are destined to be classically intelligent children. DD never, ever slept. It took hours to get her off and she'd sleep for a few minutes maximum. She finally slept well at night at nearly 3 but only between 11pm and 7am. From less than a year old she didn't nap for even a minute and was never asleep before 11pm. But she didn't need sleep, not in any real way. She was always happy and functioning and alert. And the hv was right. DD is extremely bright. And while she still doesn't sleep, she is happy to read for hours on end and doesn't need my constant attention when awake.

It took me until dd was 4 to have another. And ds sleeps like a dream. He slept through from near the beginning. I expect he's probably classically thick then. grin

McPhee Sun 16-Sep-12 20:58:02

Hmm I sometimes find any co-owners read a different user manual hmm

Did you not pay extra for extended warranty????

There is extended warranty isn't there???

<panics>

Can I upgrade to any model or do I have to allow it to upgrade its self?

Mine currently is refusing to shut down. It looks like it is going on stand by but then its whiney noise starts.

McPhee Sun 16-Sep-12 21:00:12

It took me until dd was 4 to have another. And ds sleeps like a dream. He slept through from near the beginning. I expect he's probably classically thick then. grin

PMSL!!!

I don't remember paying for a extended warranty as I was pretty out of it when I first purchased it.

I hope there is! The co owner does seem to follow a different manual to me though so maybe it is getting its wires crossed.

I may have to speak to the co owner and check.

I will not be purchasing another either.

It works nothing like I expected. It looks good but it was purchased earlier then intended so maybe there are some loose wires or missing bits.

McPhee Sun 16-Sep-12 21:04:18

The trouble with the manual is it comes in too many languages.

Mothers tongue, and Bolleux

McPhee Sun 16-Sep-12 21:08:25

I know what you mean.

Mine was unwrapped too quickly causing it initial booting issues.

Sometimes I wonder if some physical manipulation would help.

I also won't be buying another unless drunk ever.

I'm going to try a forced shut down seen as it keeps going on send by every few minutes.

No one told be this. Maybe I should have read the small print

StabbyMacStabby Sun 16-Sep-12 21:12:52

The manual should have a doodah to attach to. I lost the manual so quickly I'm not sure I even read the first chapter. Certainly some of the functions came as a BIG surprise...

I seem to have been sent the compact version too, and all the accessories I get for it are intended for earlier versions. Not a big gripe, but I feel the manufacturer should be told. Plus, the add-ons aren't very good. This one won't write, no matter how many chocolate raisins I push into the upper external port. It just makes a noise. angry

I have a compact version too. The accessories for the 2.10 model just don't fit so I have to get the accessories from the 1.5 model for it.

The upper port is the worse. Mine accepts things then rejects them straight away while making noises.

5inthebed Sun 16-Sep-12 21:16:41

I am on to the V3 now, having stressed through the first and second ones. I was less than impressed when the v3 did not seem to get the sleep mode until 15 months. However, I've had the v3 for nearly 4 years now and can say it did grow on me.

I found v1 was the most stressful though, being a new gadget and all that. As with all things new and shiney you soon get the hang of it.

Good luck op.

NoToastWithoutKnickers Sun 16-Sep-12 21:21:42

I've got the 2.5 model. When I got it I was married to the kind of man who thinks user manuals are for wimps so we just pressed every button and made it up as we went along. Big mistake. Couldn't turn it off for months.

It's better at night now. Switches off pretty quickly but I can't adjust the timer in the mornings. It tends to require attention any time from 5:00, when it insists on using its 'tea making' facility until I'm properly awake.

If it's swiched on too quickly after it's day-time recharge I too get that peculiar whining noise. No idea how to switch it off apart from shoving biscuits in that hole bit near the top.

McPhee Sun 16-Sep-12 21:24:19

Mine seems to have switched off whilst I've been prattling on grin

Just had to deal with it as it bottom port had a bad malfunction.

Stand by is no longer a form it wishes to take so I'm trying for a full on shut down but it seems to want to mess with my hair saying 'piders'

Are there any add ons to ease the shut down process?

MNhoneydragonHQ Sun 16-Sep-12 21:32:58

My 2.9 editions trackings gone. When in shut down it keeps drifting into my bed. Attempts to reinstate it into the correct docking station result in s high pitched alarm and excessive functioning.

StabbyMacStabby Sun 16-Sep-12 21:36:01

OP, your edition seems to have had a rough ride to start with. Sorry to hear that.

SPsFanjo, I think your glitch with the upper port must be worse than mine. Mine operates a visual mode sometimes - at random, it feels like - and if the appearance of the foodstuff is assessed as being substandard it is rejected outright. Quite stressful. I was looking for the receipt as well as the manual because, to be frank, it had just been that kind of day - and all I could turn up was a dusty red book.

I remember in the early days of ownership of my CompactV1, I had faithfully taken it with me for all appointments, thinking it made a difference. Well, all this time later, I can categorically state that it need not have seen the light of day, for all the technicians care. I haven't written any notes about its updates or revisions, or any details about its functioning. Am I a bad owner?

McPhee Sun 16-Sep-12 21:36:32

Oh hell. Is this what happens as each model automatically upgrades confused

MNhoneydragonHQ Sun 16-Sep-12 21:43:47

Hah! Don't forget manual upgrades. I am not worrying about fixing dd editions tracking right now as I sm in the middle of a manual upgrade to change waste emissions. So far it is going well, although this is no guarantee of a straight forward upgrade. There is every chance we can crash at any time and have to reboot and start again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now