You know you've had too many children when...

(328 Posts)
LynetteScavo Fri 26-Aug-11 18:15:26

You nearly have a heart attack paying for their new school uniform, then struggle to carry it all home.

ragged Sat 27-Aug-11 09:03:59

I have done that driving thing, Electra blush. Loads

You've forgotten what it ever meant to have parenting ideals.
The kids call you by the wrong name, too.
You no longer have any faith in your parenting ability, because 2 of them turned out lovely, one is iffy and one is a little horror -- and you have no idea what you did different with any of them.

Oh, ragged, here too, and mine are still wee...

You have every intention of giving your kid's clothes to a friend in need, then realise that by the time DS4 has grown out of things (being the 4th to have worn them) they really don't look box fresh anymore blush.

queenmaeve Sat 27-Aug-11 09:53:40

When your dh rings on the way home from work and you dont even bother with conversation and just say 'bread and milk'

LOL@ queenmaeve... that is so true!

queenmaeve Sat 27-Aug-11 19:09:09

pacific after clothes have been passed down through 4 boys there is very little that could get a 5th outing!

queenmaeve Sat 27-Aug-11 19:10:06

I mean that from my own experience too by the way! grin

thefirstMrsDeVere Sat 27-Aug-11 19:17:25

...even though you are on permabrood you march your OH off to get the snip.

Because you know you would go for a few more given the tiniest excuse.

5inthebed Sat 27-Aug-11 19:20:02

The nursery teacher at the DC primary school say "oh another 5inthebed starting school"!

queenmaeve Sat 27-Aug-11 19:46:10

mrsdevere my dh had his snip appointment booked before I'd left hosital with dc 5, as he knew I'd quickly forget all the 'never again' talk! grin

queenmaeve grin. Even though I tried to resist (because I knew anyone organised enough to keep a blog will make me feel bad...), I looked at your blog: your DCs are gorgeous and all your projects... envy - just lovely.

You know you've had too many children when you have no more time/brain space/patience for any projects sad - I used to love making stuff.

5inthebed, my lot are keeping the local nursery and primary school going for years grin.

No snip here, but also no nookie which I hear is quite a good method of contraception - too many kids, you know wink (I only have 4 btw, but my, have I ever reached capacity <<drinks cooking sherry>>)

cheesesarnie Sat 27-Aug-11 21:07:55

queenmaeve - i think you are my new hero!wow-your blog,your dc,your crafty bits-i want to be your stalker,you dont mind do you?

when trying to remember what everyone likes/dislikes/is intolerant/allergic too means you just live off pasta

when you buy just black(or one colour)socks to make 'the sock game' easier

thefirstMrsDeVere Sat 27-Aug-11 21:16:11

Yeah but what if all the socks are different sizes but to the male brain look exactly the same?

You end up with OH with size 13 feet moaning that an infant size 6 doesnt fit hmm

Socks are a major feature of any large family arnt they?

4madboys Sat 27-Aug-11 21:18:42

yes to all of these, i have five, the fourmadboys and one 8mth old dd, even dd gets called the wrong name blush

socks live in a two old pampers boxes and every now and then i pay the boys 2p a pair for every pair they match up, odd ones go in the bin periodically and i just buy new ones.

i only had 3 earlier this summer and life was a BREEZE, the house was soo tidy and quiet, i didnt know what to do with myself!

goes off to look at queenmaeves blog...

AlwaysbeOpralFruitstome Sat 27-Aug-11 21:30:36

You have to spend a thirty seconds 'working it out', when someone ask you the birthdate of one of your DC's (often with much finger counting and gurning involved).

queenmaeve - your children are gorgeous and your craft work is lovely. I am slightly agog that you find the time, with 5 kids. Kudos.

AlwaysbeOpralFruitstome Sat 27-Aug-11 21:33:34

Where did that sneaky 'a' come from?

4madboys Sat 27-Aug-11 21:37:08

FANTASTIC blog! have added it to faves and may pinch a few ideas, if i ever get the time! love the table with the map!

and alwaysbeopralfruitsome, i can remember the day and the month of each childs birthday but always work the year out on my fingers blush a receptionist at the gp surgery was aghast at this recently and i said, 'give me a break i have 5!'

oh you know you have too many kids when you register at a sure start centre and the form only has space for 4, so you have to ask for an extra sheet for the 5th!

Annunziata Sat 27-Aug-11 21:43:26

You have to count them all when you go anywhere.

Other people's houses seem so quiet and well organized!

So glad I'm not the only one who can't remember their names. Worse, the boys all are identical to DH and his father, so it's like having various stages of the same man scattered around the living room!

Four4me Sat 27-Aug-11 22:06:27

When you get invited for Sunday lunch (tomorrow) and they say that because they can't get you all around the table that you will all have to sit in the garden to eat!

She is even putting up a gazebo as the forecast is awful!

tallulah Sat 27-Aug-11 22:09:36

You go to collect DC5 from nursery and announce yourself as <DC1's name>'s father when DC1 is 25 and hasn't been to nursery for many many years.

(Oddly enough they let him in!)

MrsvWoolf Sat 27-Aug-11 22:15:04

I often get their names mixed up too, getting through two or more if I'm particularly flustered.

Supermarket delivery drivers occasionally comment on delivery "Stocking up?" Me: "No this is the week's delivery."

misdee Sat 27-Aug-11 22:16:04

lol @ all of these

we count heads when we go out,

the socks are never in drawers.

the clothes ened sorting out every few weeks due to various children having growth spurts at different times

i have run out of space bags to store outgrown clothes

When people comment 'they cant be all yours, surely'

my blog the power of five

misdee Sat 27-Aug-11 22:19:15

the last four times we have had the grocery shopping delivery, the driver has commented that ours is his biggest drop. blush

Four4me Sat 27-Aug-11 22:23:30

Loving the blogs and weirdly this thread is making me broody arrrrrrrrrrrr!

midlandsmumof4 Sat 27-Aug-11 22:33:01

They've all have left home,you have spare rooms and it's just me, OH and the dogs and the house sudenly seems very empty.........sad.

CardyMow Sat 27-Aug-11 23:05:26

ROAR at the grocery delivery - the Tescos bloke asked me last night if I was catering for a party - when I looked confused he said, well, there's a lot of shopping there. I twigged and admitted I'd got a whole weeks worth delivered instead of half a week. blush.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now