My cat has a padded gilet. Help, need advice.

(101 Posts)

DTD1 and DH went out shopping for candied yams yesterday. They came back with the yams and a padded, pink gilet for DeathCat3.

I have a few problems regarding this.

Firstly the gilet is designed for a small dog, and DeathCat3, despite smelling of stale knickers and licking my hand every time I stroke him, is definitely a cat.

Secondly the gilet will cover his upper torso. The only thing he will be able to wash by licking is his butt, and I'm not sure that is even legal in Alabama. Will he suffer some kind of cat trauma by not being able to groom himself properly?

Thirdly the gilet is fuschia pink with a reflective silver belt. Nuff said. At least it isn't 'duck hunter camo' I suppose.

Finally it does up by velcro tabs across the belly. I know who is going to have to put the thing on DeathCat3 and it isn't going to be DTD1 or DH. Have you tried messing with a cat's belly area? I like my hands to have skin thank you very much.

This being Mumsnet, I know somebody out there also has a cat with a gilet. Can you advice me as to whether this is a good thing for DeathCat3. I am sure your cat's gilet is in a tasteful Barbour green though, not bright pink.

FanjoForTheMincePies Thu 25-Nov-10 14:12:13

IF you manage to get it on him, you must post a pic of him looking pissed off in it as only cats can!

i've never had a cat with a pink gilet

if i had though i am fairly certain that it would have met with an unfortunate demise.

the gilet, that is

theevildead2 Thu 25-Nov-10 14:13:16

My cat had a kimon once.

not much help sorry

faverolles Thu 25-Nov-10 14:13:37

I think my cat would rip my arms, legs and face off if I tried to put a gilet on.

Have you tried it on yours yet?
Can I suggest that you have someone on hand with a camera, to capture those precious moments?

theevildead2 Thu 25-Nov-10 14:13:43

*kimono

It is a Christmas present Fanjo. That'll be something for everyone on Mumsnet to look forward to on Christmas Day won't it? DeathCat3 in a gilet and MadamDeathstare going to Urgent Care.

FanjoForTheMincePies Thu 25-Nov-10 14:14:53

my mum uaed to put a xmas hat on our cat and take pics.

AntPants1 Thu 25-Nov-10 14:15:17

Snort

There is no way- unless the cat was ill and it was recomended by a vet- that a cat should be wearing anything. You know that right!??

Still good luck in getting that thing on your cat. My sister and I (ok me) used to dress up our family cat when we were little. I can still see his little face, a mask of pained resignation.....

x

A kimono makes sense somehow theevildead2, it would be loose enough for the cat to get at its legs and belly. This thing is going to make DeathCat3 look like a padded pink balloon.

madmouse Thu 25-Nov-10 14:16:37

If you really want to traumatise a cat prevent him from grooming - please don't

aquavit Thu 25-Nov-10 14:18:55

I think you need to find your cat some ickle pink ugg boots to go with the gilet

who wears just a gilet?

<mind boggles>

FanjoForTheMincePies Thu 25-Nov-10 14:20:27

i wonder what you would give the cat if you DIDN'T love him? grin

DooinMeCleanin Thu 25-Nov-10 14:21:29

these are for dogs but so is your cats gillet so I'm sure they'll look okay together.

I'd put the booties on first later, to save on pain when putting the gillet on wink

CandlestickMaker Thu 25-Nov-10 14:23:50

I bought our cat a santa outfit...yet to try it. blush

He lives outdoors madmouse, on our back porch with access to the backyard. He has a padded cat igloo with heated floor and fluffy duvet and a heated water bowl. I think DTD1 is worried that he will get cold in the Winter.

Could he wear it only at night?

ClaireDeLoon Thu 25-Nov-10 14:24:52

I tried to put a santa claus jacket on two of my cats, they both walked backwards with it on. Honestly just try the pink gilet and film it.

ClaireDeLoon Thu 25-Nov-10 14:26:55

'A kimono makes sense somehow theevildead2'

Think about that. You're suggesting cat kimono's are sensible.

I am going to try it on DeathCat1 if she isn't careful. She has any number of cat cushions, beds, and sofas to sleep on. Instead she has knocked over the pile of newly washed towels, formed them into a chaise longue and is sleeping soundly on them.

Well it makes more sense than a gilet ClaireDeLoon.

theevildead2 Thu 25-Nov-10 14:28:07

Please don't actually let him outside alone in it.

1. because he might actually die of embarrasment.

2 because it could get dangerous if it gets caught on anything.

Maybe make him a waterbottle every night for his igloo?

Never mind about cat gilets - what's that about a special trip to the shops for candied yams? Are they for the cat too? Doesn't your DH have any hobbies?

theevildead2 Thu 25-Nov-10 14:29:24

Also is it waterproof? if he gets caught in the rain even if it is waterproof it will catch water under his coat making it more cold. and he won't dry properly

theevildead2 Thu 25-Nov-10 14:29:52

candied yams are clearly a must have today!

He has a heated pad in his igloo right now theevildead2. He is locked up in the back porch at night in case raccoons or coyotes spot him in the yard and jump over the fence for dinner. There is nothing in the porch for the gilet to catch up on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now