How to stop twins biting each other?

(7 Posts)
PrincessScrumpy Sun 04-Aug-13 21:29:44

I thought we'd come out the other side but the biting is back but it's the other twin now. It was arms but dtd1 is currently wearing a bite mark on her forehead! On the plus side, the hair pulling is seemingly over (fire the moment). They love each other really!

toomuchpink Sun 14-Jul-13 21:48:05

Read with interest. Mine are a similar age and one bites. I have tried similar strategies but not excluding with a barrier. Might give that a go.

maximama Wed 10-Jul-13 19:48:00

Thanks all - seems that I am doing the right thing for biting and need to stick with it.
THe vinegar thing was an idea from t'internet - that giving a tiny amount of a harmless but unpleasant tasting substance following serious behaviour would teach them not to do it - but it doesnt work for us cos they seem to love it and want more.
smile

PollyPlummer Wed 10-Jul-13 12:56:12

Sorry I don't get the vinegar thing either.
Both my 2 were biters, it took a while for them to learn not to do it and they still sometimes bite each other now.
I did what pp have suggested, remind them that biting hurts and put them somewhere for a couple of minutes so you can make a fuss of the other one.
I hated seeing them covered in bite marks, they used to look like they had been attacked by zombies.
It will get better but it will take time.
Good luck

Madlizzy Wed 10-Jul-13 11:38:38

I had a travel cot in the room and would pop a triplet in there for a couple of minutes after a very firm "no biting!" whilst lavishing attention on the injured party. Do the same with the kitchen table - a very firm no and lift them down. They will learn eventually, I promise!

silverangel Wed 10-Jul-13 11:35:45

Sorry - why would you give one vinegar?!

One of mine (23 months) is a biter - she gets removed from the room for a couple of minutes while I give a load of attention to the one who has been bitten. Seems to be working as we are down to about once a week from a couple of lunges a day.

As for the climbing, I've given up trying to stop it and taught her to get down properly. She will climb anyting she can and I just have to watch them all the time.

maximama Tue 09-Jul-13 20:22:29

Does anyone have any strategies to stop 21 month twins biting each other? They are both covered in horrible marks, sometimes they draw blood. Everyone says 'bite them back' but that obviously wont work because they are both doing it to each other. I always take the bitten one for a cuddle and temporarily exclude the biter, having said 'no biting' severely. Tried giving tiny drop of vinegar to the biter but they both love vinegar and ask for more...

On another note how to stop one of them constantly climbing onto the kitchen table - no knives on there ever but still not safe.

Argh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now