Baby won't eat or take breast. At wits end and worried!

(39 Posts)
MultipleMama Sun 19-May-13 15:39:30

Dts1 is teething. He refused to settle at all last night and woke up hourly. He refused breast and learner bottle and screamed if put in cot or held by someone else. Finally dosed off at 5am with a cold teething dummy.

He's still refusing breast and bottle and has only eaten a few mouthfuls of pureed peach with porridge all day.

He's sleeping between 1 - 1 1/2 hours then cries. He spits out the teething dummy and keeps rubbing his cheek, only thing that comes close to soothing him is a cold comprise on his cheek.

Won't let anyone but me hold him and hates laying on his back. I'm on bed rest so not much I can physically do!

I'm really worried about him not eating or drinking, going to call his ped tomorrow if no improvement.

Any parents had similar experiences or any advice because I admit I'm struggling and at my wits end of the constant crying and holding.

MultipleMama Tue 21-May-13 20:51:22

Thank you. I try my best for them smile

WouldBeHarrietVane Tue 21-May-13 19:42:11

Sounds great Mama - they are very lucky dc to have you still feeding them and putting the effort in to resolve DS's strike thanks

MultipleMama Tue 21-May-13 19:37:26

I express anyway as I have his twin to bf and pump for. And they don't drink anything but bm at the minute.

Asked Ped about him missing feeds, says it's more likely a nursing strike and as long as he's eating and getting some fluids then not to worry and only start be concerned if it lasts longer than 4 days.

WouldBeHarrietVane Tue 21-May-13 17:45:21

Don't forget to express for any missed feeds to keep supply up. You will need to give him ebm to take the place of missed feeds.

MultipleMama Tue 21-May-13 17:38:45

He fed this morning for his normal time of 25-30 mins but refused during afternoon/supper will try him after bath with a dream feed.

WouldBeHarrietVane Tue 21-May-13 13:44:46

Great news!

Is bf going ok again now?

x

MultipleMama Tue 21-May-13 13:41:02

Ped said that he's just having a hard time teething as it seems 1 top and both lower teeth are starting to come through. His temperature is good and should settle down in a couple days. Said to give him nurofen and calpol at bedtime as he stresses more then which should make him more awake and settled during the day and to keep applying gel until it's no longer needed. So good news just teerhing! smile

WouldBeHarrietVane Mon 20-May-13 16:09:32

Glad he's a bit better and feeding somewhat. Let us know what the dr said if you have time.

x

MultipleMama Mon 20-May-13 14:36:07

Update: Managed to dream feed him a few times last night. He's still unsettled alternating between screaming, sleeping and going quiet. He is however he is eating more but still won't take anything other than his Razberry or gummy dummy.

Called his Ped and he said to just apply the gel then give him both calpol and nurofen and max weight dose to try and help him sleep better so that he's not so exhausted and cranky during day. We have to pop in tomorrow after my dating scan to be on safe side.

WouldBeHarrietVane Sun 19-May-13 23:05:12

Good plan Mama. Hope you get some sleep.

MultipleMama Sun 19-May-13 22:44:51

He was last fed at 8.30pm when I dream fed him. On a "normal" night he'd wake every 2-4 hours, so far he's still sleeping but next time he wakes I'm gunna try to dream feed him as he's dozing off as it seems he gives up resisting then.

We tried syringe but he cried until he was red in the face and shook his head furiously. I don't want to upset any further.

Plenty of wet diapers, so not overly concerned about his hydration. He's had another dose of nurofen, so hoping tomorrow is better but we'll be calling his Ped to be on the safe side.

WouldBeHarrietVane Sun 19-May-13 21:55:14

When did he last have any fluids, mama? Is he having plenty of wet nappies?

WouldBeHarrietVane Sun 19-May-13 21:45:02

Syringe in a bit of ebm?

MultipleMama Sun 19-May-13 21:43:40

They take both breast and bottle. Both through the day and breast at night. I would feed him expressed but he still screams bloody murder when anything goes near his mouth. Only thing he's taking is his Razberry.

WouldBeHarrietVane Sun 19-May-13 21:10:37

Feed expressed bm if he's not feeding as much as usual - you could use a sippy cup to make sure he doesn't get too used to the bottle.

MultipleMama Sun 19-May-13 21:08:58

I pump daily for both of them anyway so that's not a problem to do.

He latched when I we did kangaroo care after our bath but didn't feed, but I tried again as he was drifting off and he fed for about 10 minutes, he's still waking hourly but hoping this isn't a daily occurrence.

Thanks all, I hope they are too!

PourquoiPas Sun 19-May-13 20:36:10

Brilliant! Glad he is feeling better. You can alternate the doses of calpol/nurofen during the day as long as you are careful to keep to the max. daily doses. I tend to give one or the other every three hours to keep DD happy when the teething is bad. I also give as much teething gel as I can, and especially half an hour of so before a meal/feed.

Re bf if he hasn't had a good feed I might pump to keep supply up, and keep offering, perhaps with you both in the bath after skin to skin.

Fingers crossed those teeth are through soon!

MultipleMama Sun 19-May-13 18:16:41

Thanks, harriet, I will.

WouldBeHarrietVane Sun 19-May-13 17:49:46

Keep offering to bf too - gently and without forcing it.

WouldBeHarrietVane Sun 19-May-13 17:49:04

Great! Just keep applying dentinox and if you do it regularly (as many times as allowed on the box) that will keep the pain under control.

Call ooh if this doesn't work and you are worried - you know him best.

MultipleMama Sun 19-May-13 17:48:51

Thank you so much for the advice pour.

We put the gel on his gums and then the calpol around 45 minutes ago, he's awake, quiet and tired but looks quite content chewing on his Razberry Teether. He's took a bit more of pureed peach and mango straight from fridge.

I think the doses we had been giving him weren't strong enough but glad we found a solution!

MultipleMama Sun 19-May-13 16:22:14

Managed to apply Dentinox while he was sleeping - fussed a little but didn't wake up (thank god!) will try the Calpol when he wakes up. Thank you all for suggestions. Will update you later!

MultipleMama Sun 19-May-13 16:11:39

Thanks pour will try that!

MultipleMama Sun 19-May-13 16:10:33

DH managed to use the syringe for Nurofen.

He has no teeth to bite - these will be his first, and one is starting to pop through.

I haven't tried that yet was scared of hurting him but I'll firm up and give it a go!

PourquoiPas Sun 19-May-13 16:09:34

Give the maximum (for his age obs) dose of calpol and nurofen as well as teething gel all at the same time(well, not the nurofen as you just gave him some but the other two). If he then calms down after 30 minish then you will know its "just" teething and he will be fine in a few days, if not then i would take him to out of hours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now