The Hobbit. I was full of doubts but it is marvellous.

(16 Posts)
nkf Sun 16-Dec-12 17:37:07

Just got back. Loved it. And I fancy Thorin. And those are words I never thought I'd type. If I were 15, I would probably be googling Mrs Oakenshield on the back of my diary.

nkf Sun 16-Dec-12 17:37:21

Doodling not googling.

ninjasquirrel Sun 16-Dec-12 17:40:01

Ooh, good. We've got tickets and reviews haven't been great.

AlmostAChristmasHipster Sun 16-Dec-12 17:42:14

It is fabulous! I wasn't expecting to like it much but I loved every minute! Well scary, though!

nkf Sun 16-Dec-12 19:43:41

I wish it hadn't ended when it did. I was good for hours. And the eagles are my favourite part.

Shallishanti Sun 16-Dec-12 19:47:02

sorry to disagree, I found it relentless
seen one orc battle, you've seen them all!
It wasn't faithful to my memory of the book, which was more gentle and pastoral than the film- and I'm sure there was stuff there that wasn't in the book. Martin Freeman was good though, and the Gollum scene was good.

nkf Sun 16-Dec-12 19:50:37

Not like the book which was a shame. I'd love to see the book done faithfully. But still loved it was. I saw it in the West End. Massive cinema and 3D. It was thrilling and I'm not usually a battle CGI fan. But I was so into it.

iismum Sun 16-Dec-12 19:59:29

I loved it too! It would have made no sense to be true to the book - i.e., deliver it as a simple children's story and leave all the momentous events going on (e.g. The rise of Sauron) off stage as the book does. We're way too invested in that world now. Galadriel, Gandalf et al are doing really important things, deeply resonant with the LoTR story, during the timescale of The Hobbit - why would you want to ignore all of that? Though I do agree ork battles can get a bit samey, and the escape from the goblins was very like the escape from Moria, but not as good.

Plus, I don't think Thorin should be hot! It's just wrong! I appreciate that when the story centres around 13 dwarves, a hobbit and an old man you've got a bit of a prettiness problem, but I think they should have stuck a bulbous nose on him or something. He was really great in the part but just so pretty I couldn't really believe he was an elderly dwarf!

nkf Sun 16-Dec-12 20:00:57

He's a warrior with a very nice coat. And great hair.

nkf Sun 16-Dec-12 20:02:01

I'm not invested in LoTR. Never read the book or seen the films. I just think The Hobbit is a perfect, fast paced quest story and this film made it into an epic. But it was fine. Enjoyable. And I might even give LoTR another go.

MariahScarey Mon 17-Dec-12 09:27:18

I loved it, son had read book i hadn't and i dont do eagles and goblinney shit as a rule.

SOn now wants hobbit feet so he doesnt have to do laces,

MariahScarey Mon 17-Dec-12 09:27:41

i thought the elf kingdom was dull - wtf was the woman about?

MariahScarey Mon 17-Dec-12 09:28:17

PLUS did anyone notice the similarity between bag end ( which i would never have left) and the hill in the Olympic opening ceremony?

Themumsnotroastingonanopenfire Mon 17-Dec-12 09:30:47

I was really worrying it would flag, having read the reviews but it was enthrallig. Thorin so much sexier than Tolkien probably intended, but that can't be bad.

rathlin Mon 17-Dec-12 22:43:12

Just back from seeing it and glad I didn't pay for it. My work paid for us to go and see as Christmas treat. It wasn't awful or bad in anyway (bit boring at times) just exactly the same as LOTR. A lot of the same characters and battles etc. Not unexpected I suppose but I'd save your money and wait for the DVD.

JeanBodel Tue 18-Dec-12 06:24:50

I too loved it and fancied Thorin (and I did come home and start googling!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now