Partial molar and molar pregnancy support thread - all welcome!

(497 Posts)
MrsJohnDeere Wed 28-Nov-12 11:06:13

I thought I would start this thread as a place where anyone who is going this or has gone through this in the past could share experiences, vent about life, etc.

After a MMC at 12 weeks and an ERPC a few weeks ago I've just found out the cause was a partial mole. I've been referred to Charing Cross and am waiting to hear back from them to start the monitoring etc.

I know the chances of cancer developing are about 1/100 but I'm still struggling with the 'OMG I'm going to die' feeling at the moment, plus the grief and stress of the miscarriage itself.

I haven't told anyone in RL, other than dh, even friends who know about the miscarriage. I'm worried abut how they'll react and that I'll end up blubbing.

hazeyjane Mon 04-Mar-13 08:55:28

Mrs JD, I was told that if i was soaking a sanitary pad in a certain amount of time (this was 10 years ago so i may have not remembered right but i think it was 20 mins) also if i was passing anything clotty, to go to the hospital to get checked out. As I say I was in for 3 weeks, and in that time, I was barely allowed to walk around the ward, because of the bleeding. I ended up bleeding for nearly 9 months, but that was mostly a normal sort of period bleed. I think in the early days, it is probably a really good idea to take it as easy as possible. I would say if you have any concerns at all, then to call the Chx team and ask, they may just say to get checked out locally. Hope everything is ok. x

hazeyjane Mon 04-Mar-13 08:59:55

Sorry I meant to add, I know these things affect everyone differently, but i was whacked out by chemo, especially in the beginning. I didn't go back to work, and was on chemo for 10 months (this length of time is apparently pretty rare!), I found I had to have a lot of naps, and just take things very, very gently.

mistlethrush Mon 04-Mar-13 09:33:05

Yup, chemo floored me too - Every other weekend I could about make it round the park slowly with DH - then treatment would start again on the Tuesday and it all went down hill again. I was off work for over 6 months and in fact went back too early as my boss was threatening to employ someone else so there would be no job for me to do when I got back hmm

Ashoething Mon 04-Mar-13 18:06:46

mrsd-yeah chemo really knocked me for six but I kind of assumed I was unlucky as my friends seemed to sail through it. Sorry to hear you feeling shit. Re the bleeding-I never had anything heavy like you have decribed but did have brownish staining-like you get towards end of a period-for about 3 months although I seem to remember it got better a few weeks into chemo.

I would definately give cx a phone if you concerned-to be honest I found it a bit of a faff to try and explain anything to local hospital.

All the best.

MrsJohnDeere Mon 04-Mar-13 19:14:04

Thanks all.

It was heavy overnight but isn't so bad today. It seems to come after I left things or do anything even slightly physical, so I guess I should just rest more.

I will phone if it gets worse or carries on.

How is everyone else doing. Nattnothing, Nerual?

NRTP - how did your ERPC go? Hope you're taking it easy.

nearlyreadytopop Mon 04-Mar-13 22:14:45

Hi Mrs jd, glad bleeding has settled down. I'm still in hospital as I lost too much blood to be discharged today. Feeling slightly hopeful as both doctors who carried out procedure say they think its unlikely to be molar. Obviously only way to confirm is wait on tests coming back but am keeping everything crossed.

MrsJohnDeere Tue 05-Mar-13 09:28:56

Sorry you had to stay in. How long will they keep you in for? Good that it might not be molar? Do the results take ages to come back?

Bleeding got heavy again. I'm on bed rest but at home. I'm finding it tricky because I actually feel fine today and want to do things.

nerual Tue 05-Mar-13 20:39:16

Hey, I am doing well actually. Had scan today, measuring 10w5d and no sign of anything dodgy on the placenta (which I think is where the cysts would start showing up if it was another partial mole). Beginning to think that this pg might just be ok...

nerual Tue 05-Mar-13 20:39:52

PS very glad to hear that your bleeding is getting less as well smile

MrsJohnDeere Sun 10-Mar-13 14:02:36

Just checking in to bump the thread.

Still feeling ridiculously tired and a bit 'out of body' but very little bleeding at the moment. Round 2 of chemo starts tomorrow. Wonder if it will be harder this time because I'll be at home doing normal things rather than just resting in hospital?

Did anyone else see the discussion about choriocarcinoma on BBC Breakfast News this morning?

nerual Mon 11-Mar-13 09:55:02

hi MrsJD. I missed the choriocarcinoma discussion, might see if I can find it on some kind of ondemand service to rewatch (not sure if they provide that for new programmes though). Good luck for the chemo, let us know how it goes. It sounds promising that your bleeding is much lighter, but obviously not nice to be feeling out of it...

MrsJohnDeere Fri 15-Mar-13 15:52:08

hCG is down to 11. Looks like chemo is working! gringringrin

Hope everyone else is ok?

nerual Fri 15-Mar-13 19:25:33

Yay!! really good to hear that, how have you been feeling having the chemo away from hospital, has it been hard?
I'm ok, just waiting for my 12week scan next thursday. Still half expect them to tell me it's another partial mole (pm fetus can survive first trimester apparently)...I did ask them to check the placenta a couple of weeks ago for cysts and they said that they couldn't see anything, but still half expecting the worst (some days are better than others)...dread to think what my level of anxiety is doing to the poor thing. Anyway, not long to go now....

nearlyreadytopop Fri 15-Mar-13 19:47:57

Hurrah for the chemo and dropping hcg, glad its all going well Mrs JD.
Sorry for not replying sooner, I have been burying my head in the sand for the past few weeks.
Still no test results for me, though I am now getting negative preg tests. Its been ten days now since ERPC and yesterday after a week of very little bleeding I started to cramp and bleed a lot more. I dont know if its normal?
Nerual, Congratulations on your pregnancy. Will be keeping everything crossed for you for Thurs smile

nerual Sat 16-Mar-13 20:30:03

Thanks nearly. My pg tests also went negative after 10 days, also very little pain and bleeding after erpc (which is how i managed to conceive without af and only found out after BFP that my mc was a partial mole!). However I didn't have subsequent pain and bleeding after that, but if your pg tests are negative, it could be af? I think af can come at any time after an erpc, not always a full cycle passes...
Also lot of people with pmp seem to have bleeding for a long time after erpc, but usually then they seem to have high hcg (which yours clearly aren't because you have a negative pg test...)
I think there are guidelines about when you should be worrying about bleeding, not completely sure but something like changing soaking through a pad every hour or something like that?

MrsJohnDeere Sat 16-Mar-13 20:44:40

Nearly - did the bleeding get worse after doing exercise, or lifting, or more physical stuff? I found that to be the case.

I've been feeling a but sorry for myself today. blush I'd felt great all week, pretty 'normal' for the first time in ages, but since yesterday evening I've felt bleurgh. Nauseous, out of body, and I have a bit of a temperature. Perhaps this is just how it is at the end of each cycle?

MrsJohnDeere Tue 19-Mar-13 21:46:17

Got horrible eyes! Those of you who've been through chemo, have you any tips tips? I've been using the eye drops 4 times a day every day (more today and yesterday) but they're not helping.

nerual Thu 21-Mar-13 19:26:07

gosh, eye thing sounds horrible! how are they today?

MrsJohnDeere Thu 21-Mar-13 21:02:44

Sorry, I'm going to moan some more. I'm feeling very sorry for myself and ridiculously hormonal

Eyes less itchy but still running like crazy. I look like I'm crying all the time. Got a temperature but can't get warm and feel yucky - like being hungover except I'm not. I was sick this morning. Don't know if that's a side effect of the chemo or a mole thing. I'm too scared to phone Charing Cross to get my latest results (silly as I know they'd call if there was a problem).

And I burst into tears at ds2's parents-teacher evening so his teacher probably thinks I'm a loon too.blush

Tomorrow can only be a better day grin

Ashoething Fri 22-Mar-13 17:59:41

Mrs john deere-sounds like an infection to me. Are you sure you dont have conjunctivitis? I had that about 3 times during chemo. I would phone cx for advice just to be on the safe side. If you are managing to carry on with normal family life then I think you deserve a bloody medal! All the best.

nearlyreadytopop Sat 23-Mar-13 20:23:00

Mrs JD, how are you feeling now? Hope you got something to make you feel better.
re my little problem, I passed a rather large lump and bleeding stopped. Just like that. Still waiting on test results. GP phoned gynae secretary who said results had just come in but she couldnt give them out over the phone and also needed the consultant to interpret them. Hopefully this coming week I will find out.
Nerual, hope you dont mind me asking but how did your scan go?

MrsJohnDeere Sat 23-Mar-13 20:36:26

I'm feeling a bit better, thank you. The nurse who came yesterday to take my bloods said that I didn't have an infection because my temp was below 38 (it was 37.9 and my normal temp is 36.4). Not feeling so flu-ey now, but am taking vast quantities of paracetamol and Domperidone to keep headaches and nausea under control. Eyes are back to normal.

Still feel ridiculously tired amd hormonal though. Had beans on toast for dinner tonight because the thought of cooking anything more complicated made me want to cry! It makes me laugh that the doctors say methotrexate has no real side effects and you can carry on as normal!

nearly hope they don't keep you waiting long for the results. Do you still feel it could be a molar thing?

nerual Sun 24-Mar-13 16:11:05

Hey, actually scan was fine. All seems ok. Quite hard to believe. Still feel worried that I have partial molar cells rampaging around my body, but even if they are, it doesn't seem to be affecting the baby.
Nearly - glad your bleeding has stopped, hope you get your results soon.
MrsD - very glad to hear you are feeling a bit better. Perhaps increased chocolate intake over easter will help combat hormonal feelings?! ;-)

MrsJohnDeere Tue 26-Mar-13 14:19:23

Finally plucked up the courage to phone CXH. There were 3 results I hadn't had. Levels have gone up a bit and plateaued. Hmm. Don't know what the implications of that are. I assumed I was back to zero now because I hadn't heard anything from them. Have has a resurgence of nausea but assumed/hoped that was a side effect of chemo rather than a mole thing.

Another result is due tomorrow. Perhaps all will have magically resolved itself with that one.

MrsJohnDeere Tue 26-Mar-13 14:20:10

But, feeling much better in myself, so not all bad news smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now