When organising a Mumsnet meet up you should take the same basic precautions you would when meeting anyone from the internet - make sure you meet in a public place and that others know where you are going. You can also meet up with other mums on your Mumsnet Local page. Find your Local page here.

Durham / Teeside / Tyne & Wear Meet up and random chat thread.

(895 Posts)
KaraStarbuckThrace Wed 29-Aug-12 21:44:36

Next meet up, Tuesday 4th September.
During the day, either Botanic Gardens in Durham or the Slug and Fiddle near the Gala Theatre in Durham City centre.

Now for some random chat.
DS sang a song about bolognaise today. And DD walked some more. But still prefers crawling and using my nipples as handholds on Mount Starbuck.

OoohTrifle Mon 28-Jan-13 23:23:37

Ah balls, I can't make weds (sorrowful face) as at dentist. Eek! I am so very lax at check ups that I fear I will be given dentures as a telling off.

Poor wee babyViking. Hope she wakes up bouncing tomorrow with full fang or maybe you'll be reaching for the calpol to self-medicate?!

Kara - will try and remember to have J carry it down to the car tonight!

Enjoy your cake tomorrowenvy .
I had a plan to take the day off and join you but no-one else in and the phones not working properly so I can't skive off.sad

Dh is so much better at the sahp thing than me. I came home today to children that had been washed and fed, beds changed, washing done, dried and put away, dinner cooked and a bath, wine and hot water bottle ready for me (bastard coil #2 fitted today). When it's my day at home he comes home to a bombsite, no dinner and me clutching the gin.grin

Indith Tue 29-Jan-13 21:24:32

can I borrow him? my house needs him.

Sorry, no can do. If I hire him out I might have to do some housework grin

Seriously where did this stereotype of men being bad at housework come from? All the men I've known have been much more house proud than me not hard My old flatmate used to do my ironing- he said he watching me do it was too painful. grin or am I just so bad at running a house/being tidy that I defeat the most reluctant cleaner? --Viking probably best you don't answer that one--grin

Indith Tue 29-Jan-13 21:54:07

Dh is shit at housework. I'm not sure he knows that things like bathrooms and kitchen sinks have to be cleaned once in a while and he doesn't know how to use the washing machine.

Send him here. I'll break himgrin

Or maybe dh can set up a school for husbands in the manly art of house work.

OoohTrifle Tue 29-Jan-13 22:24:26

My DH usually has to wash up before he eats his dinner. WTF? Mind you I say this but without him, I would have to eat off paper plates.

CremeEggThief Wed 30-Jan-13 08:18:27

Have a lovely time today, everyone. I'm afraid I have the 'flu, so I'll be staying in bed sad. Hope to make the next meet-up.

KaraStarbuckThrace Wed 30-Jan-13 08:30:48

sad Feel better soon!!

Me and my DH are both shit at housework. But I do it. DH does excel at passive aggressive vacuuming hmm

VikingLady Wed 30-Jan-13 08:35:07

Spiffy We were flatmates for 3 years and you tidied your room twice in that time - and we were burgled immediately afterwards BOTH TIMES. Lie/God/whatever is telling you something.

Seriously folks - twice. And two burglaries.

Trifle I am self medicating with red wine after V is in bed. V is fuelled by Calpol (both types), anbesol and vast vast quantities of feeding from me.

I'm working til 12, sticking V in her cot for a nap/play/whatever she feels like while I shower (DH is away so no-one to watch her) then out to the most cliquey group ever where I will be ignored for two hours. Enjoy your cake envy

Plus last time I tried to tidy up I fell off a ladder and broke my ankle...I think I will leave it all to dh. To be fair I do all the driving and finances- he doesn't have a clue how much money we have or how to get at it good

Sympathies to all the poorly people. Hope you all feeling better soon.

Indith Wed 30-Jan-13 09:05:33

Spiggy there is definitely something about you and housework. Theft, falls of ladders....don't do it folks.

Viking sad are there no other groups you can go to? Sounds horrid. You know when we first moved from Gilesgate where we went to lots of lovely groups where everyone just chatted to anyone and moved here I started going to a group in the net village. It was bloody terrible, nobody spoke to me. I only went because if I stayed at home I'd murder the children. It took about 18 month/2 years for people to talk to me hmm. 2 years, starting my own toddler group in my village and generally sticking around and having dcs in local school etc. I don't know if it as because I wasn't local and related to anyone else or if they thought I was posh or what hmm. But magically on the first day of starting my own group in came a bunch of women who had ignored me for years and started chatting like we were mates. Strange creatures. I'm not going to say we are beset of friends now but at least I don't stand out like a sore thumb any more! And I've made some local friends at groups too who are not quite to odd grin.

Ds1 used to get dumped in his cot while I showered, I swear that is part of the reason he slept so well because he was used to being put in it awake and being happy in it so he cheerfully went to sleep when he woke up.

Ds2 is made of snot. Again. And that bloody tooth is playing hide and seek. You know when one day you can feel the sharpness about to break through then it vanishes? And he is going mental with the standing up thing. Hard work these children!

By the way ds2's birthday is a Tuesday. 5th March. Clearly this is going to have to involve cake.

5th march is now in the diarysmile.

What about a date for curry? <greedy>

CremeEggThief Wed 30-Jan-13 15:49:17

Hope you all had a lovely time smile.

Indith Wed 30-Jan-13 16:01:41

Not sure when would be good for curry for me. Dh is going down to tideway the weekend 23rd/24th March for 2 nights <<insert small rant about it being all very well for some getting to go off on fun weekends on a semi regular basis>> so I shall be on my lonesome with the small ones (I wish the Capital delivered!) plus we are rather hoping that at some point we might feel able to let my mum baby sit ds2 along with the others so we can have our annual meal out.

Indith Wed 30-Jan-13 16:06:17

How the the flu creamegg?

CremeEggThief Wed 30-Jan-13 16:08:02

Still awful, Indith, but thanks for asking. I live in a townhouse, so even going down to the kitchen seems a bit daunting today!

VikingLady Wed 30-Jan-13 17:01:39

Indith I do go to two very good friendly groups - the Friday group has cake! But I am on the rota for bf peer support for the dreadful one. I would take myself off it and leave them to their own arsey company but I worry about new mums just sitting in a corner, being ignored sad. There was one today.

Indith Wed 30-Jan-13 17:15:30

Sounds horrible. I bet you are a lifeline for the poor ignored new mums.

VikingLady Wed 30-Jan-13 20:09:47

There are two of us that take it in turns. We steer them towards the cake group..... grin

Even the hv that (nominally) runs it doesn't talk to outsiders! I'm always tempted to take a hip flask.

Eating cupcakes now V is in bed, and having leftover Bucks Fizz from Christmas, so am happy again grin

So, when is the next meetup? I'll try and make this one! And stop whinging!

KaraStarbuckThrace Wed 30-Jan-13 22:27:42

You are lovely Viking! The group does sound horrid.

BTW for those who don't know, my BFN course has been cancelled until 21st March (it was supposed to start tomorrow!).

HR decided we have to have our CRB checks done now and waited until Friday to tell our IFC hmm

greenflowers Thu 31-Jan-13 13:38:28

Hi again ladies. Unfortunately I couldn't make it yesterday - I hope the cake was good! I will keep an eye on the thread to see when the next meet up is and hopefully make it to that one.

kara in the meantime it sounds like you might be quite knowledgeable about slings! I know little to nothing about them and was wondering if you had any ideas for me. We have used the baby bjorn since DD was tiny and I really liked it but now she's coming up to a year, she is far too heavy for it. Do you know whether there are any options for me still to wear her on my front or are those rucksack ones for my back the best option now she's bigger? I don't mind using the pushchair but there are a couple of muddy walks we like that the pushchair can't cope with and it was a nightmare trying to leave the house in the snow last week! I hope you don't mind me jumping in and asking! smile

CremeEggThief Thu 31-Jan-13 13:44:36

Just to add I think it's a lovely thing to do as well, Viking thanks.

Feeling MUCH better in comparison to yesterday, as in at least I managed a shower and to take DS to school today, but still coughing and sneezing away at home. Yuk!

Indith Thu 31-Jan-13 13:55:23

Glad you are improving creamegg.

greenflowers try the north east sling library here. You can have a play, try different slings and see what suits you before you part with any cash.

There are lots of things you can try but if you after something for muddy walks then your best bet is probably a full buckle soft structured carrier so there are no long straps or wrap ends to drag through the mud when putting it on! All of them can be used front or back. Names of brands are Ergo (but ask advice before buying as there are a lot of fakes around with Ergos that may be unsafe to use. Real ones are great though.), Boba, Beco, Manduca or Connecta which is a little less structured than the others plus various other brands, those are probably the best known and more mainstream ones though. I'd really suggest going to the library though and trying on what she has for size to see what is going to last you the longest as with your baby coming up to a year the last thing you want is to invest in a sling that will only take you to 18 months or so. That said a reputable sling that is well cared for will sell second hand for not much less than retail and then you can pick up a bigger one second hand instead.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now