This topic is specifically designed for media or other requests for information / help from Mumsnet members. We ask those organisations requesting help here to pay a fee of £30 per request as a contribution to the site (when you've typed in your request, you will automatically be taken to a WorldPay page where you can pay by credit card). Many thanks. NOTE: Mumsnet does not check the content of these requests nor verify any links posted here; we'd like to remind you that it's wise always to be cautious about disclosing any personal data.

What is the Effect of Herbal Food Supplements on Bowel Function in People with Piles?

(4 Posts)
MEDIA: cyberboots Tue 10-Sep-13 11:31:10

If you have piles, but are otherwise healthy and aged 20 - 65, then you might like to take part in my research study. I'm looking at the effects of two herbal food supplements, sunflower and dittany leaf, on symptoms of piles.

There is no medical examination – just a short questionnaire on your symptoms.

Evidence suggests that some plants, normally used as foods, may help the symptoms of piles when taken in capsule form.

You would take sunflower and dittany supplement capsules, and dummy capsules, for three 15-day periods spread over 10 weeks. You would rate your symptoms in a short questionnaire before and after each supplement - that's six times in all. You can do the questionnaire on-line, by phone or by post.

You would be paid £40 on completion of the study, to compensate for your time and costs.

If you'd like to take part, you can check your eligibility by completing the screening form at
www.surveymonkey.com/s/WKJX62G
or email niche@ulster.ac.uk

cyberboots Fri 13-Sep-13 16:38:02

Oh... I think the capsule itself might be gelatin. I will find out! Would you like to do it if they are not gelatin?

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Wed 11-Sep-13 17:38:49

Are the capsules vegan?

cyberboots Wed 11-Sep-13 17:17:28

I should add that you wouldn't have to stop using your usual piles remedy during the study. You would take 3 different food supplements for 15 days, and fill in a SHORT questionnaire online, 6 times in total. You would be paid £40 at the end.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now