This topic is specifically designed for media or other requests for information / help from Mumsnet members. We ask those organisations requesting help here to pay a fee of £30 per request as a contribution to the site (when you've typed in your request, you will automatically be taken to a WorldPay page where you can pay by credit card). Many thanks. NOTE: Mumsnet does not check the content of these requests nor verify any links posted here; we'd like to remind you that it's wise always to be cautious about disclosing any personal data.

Inclusive Play between Disabled and Non-disabled Children: Parents and Carers; Please Share Your Experiences and Observations

(3 Posts)
MEDIA: TogetherThroughPlay Thu 08-Aug-13 16:44:33

Are you a parent or carer of a child with a physical impairment, or is your child a friend of a disabled child? If so, the Together through Play project research team based at the Centre for Disability Studies, University of Leeds (http://disability-studies.leeds.ac.uk/), would be keen to hear from you.

Together through Play is a three year research project funded by the Leverhulme Trust, through which designers, engineers and sociologists have been working with children in mainstream Primary Schools to develop understanding of disabled and non-disabled children’s experiences of playing together, and the barriers that prevent inclusive play.

The research team includes:

• Principal Investigator - Dr Raymond Holt, Lecturer at the School of Mechanical Engineering (http://www.engineering.leeds.ac.uk/people/mechanical/staff/r.j.holt?pub=full);
• Co-investigator - Dr Angharad Beckett, Associate Professor of Political Sociology, School of Sociology and Social Policy (http://www.sociology.leeds.ac.uk/people/staff/beckett);
• PhD Researcher - Anne-Marie Moore, School of Mechanical Engineering (http://www.sociology.leeds.ac.uk/people/students/anne-marie-moore)

We are keen to gain an insight to adult perspectives on some of the issues surrounding inclusive play, so that we may produce practical guidelines for designers developing inclusive toys and games for disabled and non-disabled children in the future.

Please post a comment on this thread if you would like to take part in a short interview about your child’s experiences or your observations of play between disabled and non-disabled children. We would welcome your comments and we would be happy to conduct interviews via email; post; Skype or telephone, at a time most convenient for you.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

Anne-Marie Moore
PhD Researcher
School of Mechanical Engineering
University of Leeds

TogetherThroughPlay Mon 02-Sep-13 16:20:32

Hello there,

Thank you for your message. Through this study into inclusive play, we have been working with children with physical impairments and their non-disabled friends in mainstream Primary Schools. For this reason, we are particularly interested in speaking to the parents and carers of children with physical impairments and the parents and carers of non-disabled children about their experience and observations of inclusive play.

If you are interested in taking part in an email interview with me about your child's experience and your observations of inclusive play, please feel free to send your email address to my Mumsnet inbox, so that I can send the relevant information and documents to you. Please do not hesitate to contact me, should you have any further questions about the research. I look forward to hearing from you in due course.

Best wishes

Anne-Marie Moore
PhD Researcher
University of Leeds

SuperiorCat Sun 01-Sep-13 23:31:56

I'm interested to know why the terms physical impairment and disabled child are used inter-changeably. I have a child with a disability, but it is a neurological condition that has acted as a barrier to play and social engagement with his peers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now