Sudden reaction to eggs - have I given myself an allergy?

(11 Posts)
Gonzalez2 Mon 08-Jul-13 13:47:42

Hi, I've been trying to follow a LC diet and as a result have taken to eating eggs most mornings for breakfast. In the last week I've been sick twice immediately after eating them (not consecutive days and not pg!) - has anyone else had this after going low carb? Will it go away? Or, if I carry on eating eggs will I develop a bigger problem?
Thanks!

IvanaCake Mon 08-Jul-13 17:33:11

No idea but have you tried eating an egg at a different time of day to breakfast to see if the same thing happens? I find myself feeling sick in the morning if I haven't had much tea the night before, or if I ate tea particularly early.

Gonzalez2 Mon 08-Jul-13 17:59:35

So it could just be a low carb/empty stomach thing? Hope so! I'm a bit reluctant to experiment...
Thanks!

RobotBananas Mon 08-Jul-13 18:01:44

I had a bad reaction to eggs, but more D than V.
Was very unpleasant and I couldn't eat eggs for a while.I did find it was less of a problem if i ate them with something else, and try different types of eggs too.

Crikeyblimey Mon 08-Jul-13 18:03:24

I had this once. Would vomit shortly (minutes) after eating eggs. It went away eventually, I just avoided for a while and the. Made sure if I ate something like scrambled egg, I didn't get up and move about much for a little while.

I am fine now.

blue2 Mon 08-Jul-13 18:05:42

I cannot eat much in the way of eggs, and subsequently tend to shy away from the LC way of eating.

My problem is of D and not V - it can only take 10 minutes if I'm really unlucky sad

RobotBananas Mon 08-Jul-13 18:07:10

Are they happy eggs by any chance?

Gonzalez2 Mon 08-Jul-13 18:37:11

Crikey- that's exactly it! Glad to hear it went for you. I haven't had a problem with baked things though so really it can't be an allergy.
They're Ocado eggs. Happyish? Do people add things to eggs?

RobotBananas Mon 08-Jul-13 18:55:28

Certain eggs definitely made it worse. Happy Eggs werethe worst for me (still are). Burford eggs are fine though

Gonzalez2 Mon 08-Jul-13 21:51:37

I will investigate! Thanks for your comments

snoworneahva Tue 09-Jul-13 07:03:03

My sils are allergic to eggs - one cannot eat anything with eggs, the other can eat eggs in baked goods like cake but would feel ill eating meringes or scrambled eggs.
Dh has a nut allergy - he can't eat raw almonds but when they are baked in something it's fine, I think the action of heat destroys some of the allergen - so I don't think you can discount the allergy theory.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now