The new Paleo/Primal thread - please reintroduce yourself, newcomers welcome!

(906 Posts)
misscph1973 Mon 24-Jun-13 13:53:00

Wow, we got to 1000 messages!

Welcome back from the previous thread and welcome to all new!

I have been Paleo since September last year, I started as an ex-vegetarian/vegan, I wanted to give up gluten and I had been doing 5:2/IF, which lead me to Paleo/primal. I am 40, I have 2 kids age 8 and 6. I have no major health issues, but I would like it to stay that way. I have bad skin, which has improved since starting Paleo and my dandruff has disappeared. I have gained some weight since starting Paleo, but I was not overweight before, although I would like to get back on my pre Paleo weight - I just love Paleo mayonnaise too much ;) I still practice IF and I lift weights 2-3 times per week. My family is also Paleo.

I have just come back from a camping weekend where I was not strict Paleo as I was camping with other families and I just didn't want to spend my entire weekend telling my kids "no, you cant have it". I do think that Paleo camping is entirely possible, think tinned fish, nuts, sausages, eggs etc.

goodasitgets Thu 03-Oct-13 18:10:32

Fab will have a read. I've just finished 3 x 4pm - 00.30 and then a day off before 4 x 8am - 5pm

giraffeseatpineapples Thu 03-Oct-13 18:22:08

Doesn't give you much time to adjust to early mornings does it. Paleo bloggers keep mentioning adrenal fatigue, not sure what that entails but seems like its your body telling you to slow down confused. Hope it all gets sorted x

goodasitgets Sat 05-Oct-13 21:28:16
78bunion Mon 07-Oct-13 09:26:08

Looks good. Belts always work well.

The Financial Times even had an article last week about the cool healthy trendy young US business leaders in silicone valley eating this way.

goodasitgets Mon 07-Oct-13 09:54:42

Blood results back. Iron levels somewhere in my boots and need to go for treatment within 48hrs
Explains the exhaustion!

giraffeseatpineapples Mon 07-Oct-13 12:48:28

My sister has had the same recently she was glad it could be sorted easily but there have been some niggles getting the correct dose. Hope you're feeling better soon. Love your new dress btw

giraffeseatpineapples Mon 07-Oct-13 12:50:16

78Bunion that's interesting about the article, paleo/primal doesn't seem all that popular in the uk for some reason?

goodasitgets Mon 07-Oct-13 13:29:46

I am shocked as my iron levels are usually very high. Amazed I have bled that much to make myself anaemic. Will find out levels and treatment etc on Wednesday

giraffeseatpineapples Mon 07-Oct-13 14:07:30

What do they think is causing the bleeding - contraception?

78bunion Mon 07-Oct-13 14:46:49

I think those of us who eat this way are just ahead of the others and in line with the brightest of American inventors/entrepreneurs. Others will follow where we lead.

goodasitgets Mon 07-Oct-13 15:10:45

No idea. They can explain the fact that my periods are 8/9 days and heavy with the coil but why it's happening twice a month is a mystery. Lose about 60-80mls a day
Got mef acide and trans acid to help the bleeding. I take a multi vit with iron and liquid iron so must be bad

giraffeseatpineapples Thu 10-Oct-13 09:08:43

How are things now goodas

goodasitgets Thu 10-Oct-13 12:14:12

Bloods back. Iron level 12 (normal), iron stores 50 (low end of normal) and iron saturation is 15% (should be 25% to 50%)
She said it didn't explain the exhaustion as my numbers weren't that low hmm but I'm on iron tablets twice a day now to see how it goes
Usually my levels are really good though so I'd imagine I'd feel a change if they went from v good to a bit bad, like someone would if they went from normal to very bad

78bunion Thu 10-Oct-13 19:24:02

Eat lots of steak.

giraffeseatpineapples Thu 10-Oct-13 23:18:50

And have orange juice to help with absorption? Makes sense that two cycles a month is going to have an impact on your body.

goodasitgets Thu 10-Oct-13 23:41:49

I can't make myself drink orange juice but I'm taking my multi vit (with huge amount of vit c) at the same time as my iron tablets so that should work

giraffeseatpineapples Fri 11-Oct-13 16:59:25

saw a recipe for celeriac, thyme and nutmeg gratin in waitrose magazine. Might be one to try! Hope you are starting to feel better asgoodas

havingamadmoment Sat 12-Oct-13 09:07:05

Hi giraffes. I have periods every couple of weeks on the mirena - although not as heavy as yours sounds. I have found that I get a period then a break for say 10 days then start bleeding lightly at first then nore heaviy until the end of that "cycle" so until day 28. To me its as though my body gets to the point where I would have been ovulating then almost cant seem to stop bleeding after that point until the whole thing is over and begins again. No idea if that is actually what happens but the timing is pretty specific.

I have been eating like this about one week now and have lost 3.5 pounds smile.

giraffeseatpineapples Sat 12-Oct-13 14:03:20

havingamadmoment well done on weight loss!

Think its *goodasitgets with the double cycle. Mine is quite long and every 25 days naturally though which is a bummer so I only have about 15 clear days. I dont take the pill etc.

I bought some ghee that was on offer in sainsburys today. Says 100% pure butter but couldnt say for sure its grass fed. Should really make my own but I have a mental block around making ghee even though I know its supposed to be easy confused

Picked up te paltrow book from the library so interested to see if it will be adaptable/ sound in any way delicious!

Hope all enjoying their weekends

goodasitgets Sat 12-Oct-13 15:18:16

Yes it's me. The doctor said bleeding makes you anaemic and anaemic makes you bleed so its a vicious circle. Hopefully the tablets to lighten the bleeding will help the anaemia and the iron tablets, then I should stop having a double cycle
Either that or my coil hates me grin

nappyaddict Wed 23-Oct-13 12:58:06

Someone mentioned medjool dates dipped in melted chocolate earlier in the year. Might have been snoworneahva or RawCoconutMacaroon. Do you use dried or fresh ones?

RawCoconutMacaroon Wed 23-Oct-13 13:11:42

Hi Nappy, I think all the ones in the shops are semi-dried- maybe I remember seeing branches of dates in the supermarket (maybe when in season?) but I live in the back of beyond so fresh dates are pretty exotic!

The medjul ones are not cheap, but lovely and soft and sweet. Remember they are very high carb, so 1 or 2 dipped in choc is a fantastic treat, but 5or 6 would be a mistake!
Lots of vitamins and minerals tho, so not just empty carbs.

Pecans work really well in chocolate too, I usually do some of each.

HTH smile

nappyaddict Wed 23-Oct-13 13:22:43

I have come across these Forest Field ones. I think as they are in a packet they come from the baking aisle.

OR Tesco Organic ones. From the look of the 2nd picture they come from the fruit aisle. I assumed this meant they weren't dried but perhaps they are? Are they any different to the ones in the packet?

RawCoconutMacaroon Wed 23-Oct-13 13:23:04

78 Bunion, grin just read your post of 7/10 at 14.46

Others shall follow where we lead, haha, YES!

I'm not sure why paleo/primal/lchf isn't so big in the uk as elsewhere (well America and the Nordic countries). Maybe because low carb Atkins (just cutting the carbs but still eating a lot of processed stuff), was really popular?

I started on Atkins about 7or 8 years ago and while I lost weight, I didn't gain health until I "graduated" to paleo.

Anyway in the news today, dr aseem malhotra (he puts the HOT into malhotra!), about the evils of carb and the demonisation of natural fats. He mentioned Swedish lchf studies of heart disease (he's a cardiologist).

Revolution is coming!

RawCoconutMacaroon Wed 23-Oct-13 13:26:57

Nappy - they are usually in the fruit section (along with the nuts) at my supermarket. I think that the ones in the cooking/baking section are very dried, and are cheaper types of date too. The premium ones, I'm not sure, I think they may be partly dried?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now