The new Paleo/Primal thread - please reintroduce yourself, newcomers welcome!

(906 Posts)
misscph1973 Mon 24-Jun-13 13:53:00

Wow, we got to 1000 messages!

Welcome back from the previous thread and welcome to all new!

I have been Paleo since September last year, I started as an ex-vegetarian/vegan, I wanted to give up gluten and I had been doing 5:2/IF, which lead me to Paleo/primal. I am 40, I have 2 kids age 8 and 6. I have no major health issues, but I would like it to stay that way. I have bad skin, which has improved since starting Paleo and my dandruff has disappeared. I have gained some weight since starting Paleo, but I was not overweight before, although I would like to get back on my pre Paleo weight - I just love Paleo mayonnaise too much ;) I still practice IF and I lift weights 2-3 times per week. My family is also Paleo.

I have just come back from a camping weekend where I was not strict Paleo as I was camping with other families and I just didn't want to spend my entire weekend telling my kids "no, you cant have it". I do think that Paleo camping is entirely possible, think tinned fish, nuts, sausages, eggs etc.

BadSeedsAddict Sun 08-Sep-13 22:43:55

Ah! Think I have it right now. Thank you smile Will get on properly tomorrow. Thanks about dd, she is excited!

snowlie Sun 08-Sep-13 23:49:02

It's hard to go against conventional knowledge but I find if I say wheat makes me feel bad then people just accept it....when I mention I feel it's healthier being wheat free people can get a bit defensive, so I don't because I feel you won't encourage people to eat Paleo by getting them riled. Lead by example....lose weight if you need to, exercise and look fantastic....they may just be curious enough to try your secret themselves.

BadSeedsAddict Mon 09-Sep-13 09:50:50

Snowlie that's a good point, I should just do that. Have had several weeks of eating rubbish and feeling same. Have had it in my head that I need a master plan of complicated recipes to get the whole family eating Paleo. Need to just do what works for me, which is just to keep moving ahead with it and not get overwhelmed with all the info. I know it gives me tons of energy grin

FavadiCacao Mon 09-Sep-13 09:53:34

So many new faces! Welcome smile

wiifitmama wow! that is an impressive loss! grin

giraffeseatpineapples Mon 09-Sep-13 11:27:32

wiifitmama sounds like your pretty inspirational - well done for losing and keeping the weight off for three years - what do you do around christmas/ holidays etc if you go off plan do you have a strategy?

We started a recipe thread but it got a bit lost. Hope this isn't too nobby but is anyone up for a challenge to try a new recipe this week/weekend and review it on the thread for inspiration? I am a very unadventiourous (sp?) cook but will try!

seed I think concentrating on yourself and keeping it simple for now is a really good plan.

RawCoconutMacaroon Mon 09-Sep-13 13:45:59

Queen - cornflower? Something else that makes me feel quite ill is paprika and other pepper/chilli powders that are dried and very fine ground- even though I can eat modest amounts of fresh chilli and peppers with no problems.

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone can recommend a paleo recipe book? I've had a look on Amazon but there are so many I'd rather get one that people have tried.

Thanks smile

RawCoconutMacaroon Mon 09-Sep-13 17:21:12

Paleo slow cooking by Chrissy Gower is very good (I highly recommend getting a slow cooker or two!). tbh for most things I just look at the recipe ideas on Paleo/primal blogs such as Marks Daily Apple, Robb Wolf, PaleoHacks, Grassfedgirl etc- all free! Easy to print off or write out any that you really like and make your own book.

BadSeedsAddict Mon 09-Sep-13 18:32:07

Thanks giraffes smile have had broccoli with cheese, leeks and pork chops and beef strips with cabbage and sunflower seeds today. I do want to cut out cheese as when I did before I felt great. But the shopping doesn't come til tomorrow!

giraffeseatpineapples Mon 09-Sep-13 18:38:36

Sounds yum seed - i love leeks roasted smile have put my dinner on recipe thread but to be honest I have overdone cheese, macademia nuts and dark chocolate today - still at least i threw away dds leftover jam on seedy toast that was calling my name when I was stressed out!

giraffeseatpineapples Mon 09-Sep-13 18:39:57

tilly I tend to adapt recipes but would love to get a proper recipe book at some point.

Wiifitmama Mon 09-Sep-13 21:12:09

Thanks for the welcome!

So I want to ask a question... I know everyone ends up feeling better on Paleo and it cures many ills. I have something I have noticed about my own body and wonder if anyone else gets this. When I go off plan for more than a day or two, I get pain all over my body. Not muscle pain but like a bruising under the skin kind of pain. More noticeable in the trunk area. Ice e I start eating well again, it takes a couple of days to disappear. I am not sure if it is the wheat or sugar but I suspect the sugar after reading Fat Chance, the Bitter Truth about Sugar and learning about the whole hormonal interaction with insulin - as I suspect some sort of inflammation response.

Anyway, I just wounded what others thought about this. And if anyone else has experienced it. I am back on track today eating clean so hopefully will feel better tomorrow!

RawCoconutMacaroon Mon 09-Sep-13 22:18:56

Probably not the sugar - I don't think that it causes inflammation in that way, more likely to be proteins (gluten, lectins and so on in wheat and other grain, milk proteins, maize and grain derivatives), and the chemical additives in "normal" food.
IME anyway.

Wiifitmama Tue 10-Sep-13 21:33:22

If it's the wheat proteins, does that mean I am coeliac?

To share some food ideas....lit has suddenly got cold and I no longer fancy salad. I make big batches of veg soup that I have for lunch, but I needed a cook ahead batch dinner that I can warm up for me when I come in from work or gym I hitch is after everyone else in the family has eaten (a carb based ) dinner. So taking inspiration from Jamie Oliver's programme last night, I made a batch of cauliflower "rice" and slow cooked a pork ratatouille style stew today. Came in from work in the rain and cold and had it for dinner.....sooooo yummy and really hit the spot!

BadSeedsAddict Tue 10-Sep-13 21:57:33

Wiifimama - I watched that while doing the Internet shop and ordered a pork shoulder joint! Not seen the ratatouille recipe but roasted the shoulder today and it's gorgeous. Have never roasted pork before, no idea why but will be doing again!

Have had a look through this thread and am thinking homemade bacon and pâté sound great too. OH is becoming interested in Paleo which will make things a lot easier, get temptation out of my cupboards! Now I need to find some things the kids will eat...

BadSeedsAddict Tue 10-Sep-13 22:52:29

Also just got the nom nom Paleo app, love it!

RawCoconutMacaroon Tue 10-Sep-13 23:50:37

Wiifit, no, coeliac is a specific reaction to the gluten protein. You can react to many other proteins in wheat (and other grains), without reacting to the gluten and actually people who get sudden pain after eating gluten containing grains (me!), may be showing signs of wheat allergy, rather than a gluten allergy). Only about a third of diagnosed coeliac sufferers actually get stomach pain immediately after eating gluten... And this third of people are probably reacting to multiple components in the wheat (and may also react to maize, oats and barley etc).

Of course theres always the chance you might have coeliac (or non coeliac gluten sensitivity) about 40% of the population are at risk genetically of developing it (% risk depends on your racial heritage), on a modern high grain diet, likely indicators would be vitamin and mineral deficiencies like low iron levels, b12, vit D- which may mean gut damage. It's a condition that may develop over many many years.

RawCoconutMacaroon Tue 10-Sep-13 23:54:05

That wasn't very reassuring, what I really should have said is cut out ALL grain foods totally for a month, reintroduce one at a time (for a few days), and you may be able to identify which, if any, grains are making you feel sore.

giraffeseatpineapples Wed 11-Sep-13 20:57:06

Hope you figure out whats causing the pain queen and wiifit

Bought some bits at holland and barrett yest (maple syrup and almond butter but they have all sorts suitable for paleo) as buy one get one half price on everything. I think H&B charge a bit more but even so some things work out well.

Also, Ideal world have an omniblend for £250. Its very similar to vitamix just a fraction less smooth results from what i can tell on you tube demos grin Not sure if it can do nuts but can make ice cream, soup, smoothies with hard veg etc.

badseed I have never tried roasting pork maybe that should be added to my shopping order for the weekend don't generally like pork (other than bacon and sausages) but does sound quite delish.

goodasitgets Thu 12-Sep-13 17:03:46

Raw - remember my weight post? I may have overestimated slightly. The scales tipped just below 15 stone this am grinshockgrin

giraffeseatpineapples Thu 12-Sep-13 17:14:33

wow well done!

goodasitgets Thu 12-Sep-13 17:15:45

I'm so pleased grin there's been cheats and problems along the way but I will just keep going
Pole class tonight, boot camp Monday and spin Wednesday (I need a lie down)

buildingmycorestrength Thu 12-Sep-13 18:21:39

Just had a Tesco gluten-free pizza base with the kids, so I could just eat the same as them for a change. It has made my heart race and everything feel closed in just like the Napolina bases used to before I realised and stopped eating them. Must be an additive. sad.

We are trying gf with my daughter to see if it helps her ongoing constipation problems. She's only 6 but is happy to try it and seems fine so far, although no major difference in health so far.

giraffeseatpineapples Thu 12-Sep-13 18:51:47

Sorry you had such a bad reaction building. Some of the gluten free ranges like sainsburys free from bread are not suitable for celiacs hmm so possibly there were some traces of gluten? Paleo mom has a lot of info about gluten cross reactivity where your body reacts to certain foods as if they contained gluten because of similar protein structure.

Magnesium is good for constipation and most of us are deficient. I was taking a pill from Holland and barret and it helped my mood but also got thing moving when low carb grin think you can get a spray version but not sure if its suitable for children. If Amazon is to be believed people have amazing results taking magnesium.

Feel exhausted just reading about your excersise schedule goodas grin

giraffeseatpineapples Thu 12-Sep-13 18:58:48

Wonder how misscph1973 is doing?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now