Summer Low Carb Bootcamp - The Questions Thread

(507 Posts)
BIWI Mon 29-Apr-13 16:18:52

If you have any questions, just ask them here. From experience, the chat thread moves so quickly, posters' questions often get missed.

Picking up on some that have already been asked today:

Can we eat dairy in Bootcamp?

Yes you can, but be aware that for some people dairy can impede weight loss. Butter is fine - you don't have to worry about that, and yoghurt is apparently better tolerated than milk, cream or cheese.

Cheese is a great low carb food and it's lovely to not have to worry about being able to eat it on the basis of it being a fat.

Milk can become quite carby quite quickly, so if you're having several cups of tea/coffee a day, you need to keep an eye on this. If you can, it's best to have your tea/coffee black - or to substitute cream (double) for the milk.

Cream can be used in cooking (always double, as it has a higher fat content), but again be aware that it might be an issue for you.

The best way to find out if it's a problem for you is to keep a food diary, and then you will be able to see the impact of dairy on your weight loss.

FarleyD Mon 13-May-13 19:24:43

Thank you Willie, will have a look through.

Badvoc - thank you for admiration but it felt so easy at the time! It's the only woe that's ever worked for me and I think I've probably tried them all! Don't be me and put it all back on, chuck that sugary crap out NOW!

Badvoc Mon 13-May-13 20:58:17

I may have put a pound or two back on.
I will weigh myself tomorrow!
It's is sugary crap isn't it?
I don't even want it, that's the silly thing. I sit there munching on a hib job it really enjoying it at all...
Sigh.

Badvoc Mon 13-May-13 20:58:34

Hib job?
Hob nob!

LackaDAISYcal Mon 13-May-13 21:06:26

12 stone 10 bang on this morning, so a little bit back on,but hey ho.

Off work today as still feeling crappy; lupus has flared and with it either costocondritis or plueritis; they both feel much the same sad. Haven't eaten much at all today, and DH did tea which invariably hmm involved carbs. I did only eat a little though.

I may be awol for a few days, but am doing my best under pretty miserable circumstances. Hopefully I'll be back on form, refreshed and raring to go by the end of the week.

As an aside though, DS's school are providing a breakfast club for them as it's SATS week. The "healthy" choices were either coco pops or toast with jam or nutella. DS said it was wholemeal bread though and several children refused to eat it!

LackaDAISYcal Mon 13-May-13 21:07:03

ooops, wrong thread sorry blush

Ruprekt Mon 13-May-13 21:24:37

Any good ricotta recipes out there?

Bought 2 pots @ 22p each from Waitrose. smilesmile

I use it for the topping for moussaka (mixed with 2 eggs and Parmesan)

Spinach and ricotta frittata?

BIWI Mon 13-May-13 21:44:53

Ruprekt - bit busy at the moment (still working!) but there's a recipe for Ricotta Rissoles in Rose Elliot's book The Vegetarian Low-Carb Diet Cookbook

CrabbyBigbottom Mon 13-May-13 22:56:34

Ruby you're welcome - how was it?

StuntNun Tue 14-May-13 19:36:13

Hello low-carb peeps! I have just read Briffa's Escape the Diet Trap book after reading his webchat on MN and I would love it if you could answer a few questions for me. I have a couple of issues: I have been eating increasing amounts of chocolate and cakes which at first I think was due to hunger caused by breastfeeding but has become a self-perpetuating cycle; also I get in a very bad mood when I haven't eaten for a while which I assume is hypoglycaemia since it resolves immediately upon eating. So it looks like a low-carb diet would be good for me, and may help me lose some of that baby weight that I've had for the past 10 years since the first one! My questions are:

1. How do you manage cooking for the DH and kids? I'm hoping my DH will join me on the low-carb diet once he sees how effective it is but my kids are skinny twigs and are probably best to stick with a conventional diet. Do you just cook separate potatoes / pasta / rice for them and try to resist temptation? Or include a single potato / tiny amount of wholemeal pasta / brown rice in your meals and make the rest up with loads of veggies and salad?

2. I'm currently in the middle of revising for exams in June so I can't switch to a different diet that may cause headaches etc. at this point plus I don't really have time to completely rejig my shopping / cooking routines at the moment. I would, however, like to start transitioning to a low-carb diet if possible so I was wondering what changes I could make without going the whole hog. I was thinking about keeping my usual dinners but avoiding carbs at breakfast and lunch. The major change would be to change my snacks from the current chocolate / cake / crisps to olives / nuts / meat. Then after my exams it would be a simpler switch to change my dinners over to low carb, up my fat consumption and reduce the quantity of snacks. Does this make sense or would I be better to make all the changes in one go?

Any advice you could give to me would be much appreciated. I've never been on a diet before so it's all new territor for me but those two stone ain't gonna lose themselves!

BIWI Tue 14-May-13 20:29:37

Welcome, StuntNun!

I try and cook the same for all of us as much as possible. This has meant that my family tend to get less carbs than they were having before, but not always.

Tonight, for example, I did a really easy dinner which was a tray bake of sausages (Taste the Difference ones from Sainsbury's that are low in carbs), cauliflower, fennel, leek, red pepper and onion, drizzled with lots of olive oil, salt/pepper and chilli flakes.

Sometimes I will do them a carb component to their meal - for example, I may cook some kind of potato dish, or do a spag bol/chilli + rice, as these are both dishes that they like occasionally.

I don't eat the carb element if I do this, and it simply becomes a habit. Once you understand what carbs do to you (which you will having read Briffa!), then there really isn't any point.

Re when to start - it depends when your exams are. If you were to start now, say, then you would through the worst of your carb withdrawal by the weekend. It really shouldn't take that long. And you may not suffer - I never did! (Although when I once gave up caffeine that was shocking!)

There is a benefit to starting now, in that low carb eating should give you a lot more energy and mental focus/clarity, which will help with the revision.

Personally I would go for it all in one go rather than try to cut it down gradually. But the first thing you absolutely have to do is to cut out the sugary crap grin

Good luck.

StuntNun Tue 14-May-13 20:38:47

Thank you for your considered reply BIWI, do you really see an improvement that quickly? That's amazing. I hadn't really considered the health aspect of low carbing, I think I just knew that something was wrong with the way I eat and a lot of Briffa's ideas really resonates with me, such as margarine, artificial sweeteners and processed food being bad for you. And to be told that I have to eat Greek yoghurt, the skin on chicken and full fat mince is my kind of healthy eating!

2712 Tue 14-May-13 21:38:25

Can I ask if anyone has tried the ATKINS Bread?
Is is any good?

I'm afraid I have to disagree about this WOE not being sustainable, and I am also confused about what good groups are included in eating low GI, but not this WOE?

As I see it, Bootcamp as devised by BIWI is designed to lose weight and reset our relationship with food. It has been devised to cut out processed foods and sugar in particular. Once someone gets to maintenance, then of course they will start to add back in perhaps slightly more carbs into their diet, but these should be from unprocessed sources and I would expect to add things in gradually to find a personal tolerance for that person. I'd also expect them to add things back in using the carb ladder:
1. more salad and other vegetables on the acceptable foods list
2. fresh cheeses (as well as more aged cheese)
3. seeds and nuts
4. berries
5. wine and other spirits low in carbs
6. legumes
7. fruits other than berries and melons
8. starchy vegetables
9. whole grains

I think it is Briffa that says it is what you do 80% of the time that will be what counts - I think when maintaining that is also important. I know that most of the things higher up on that list above will be lower GI/GL than those lower down, but as a diabetic I do have concerns about how those GI/GL figures have been arrived at and know from experience that for me, low GI foods still send my blood sugars soaring, just at a slightly slower rate than high GI foods.

Since low carbing my blood tests (which I have every 6 months) have massively improved and currently my Hab1C which is basically an indicator of your diabetic control is the best it has ever been.

Just my opinion though!

StuntNun - I find that low carbing makes me feel much better, less lethargic and have much more energy all around. I have never had 'carb flu' so would say go for it! If however, you really don't want to, then I would cut the carbs from lunch and dinner rather than the other way around. I successfully lost my initial bit of weight by having porridge every morning, then basically salad/soup for lunch and meat/veg for dinner - that was before I discovered bootcamp you understand!

BIWI Tue 14-May-13 21:55:56

2712 - I haven't tried it. Personally, I try and avoid substitutes for the 'real' thing. The whole point for me is to switch my mind away from carbs altogether. The danger is that you feel deprived if you can't have the 'real' thing in the first place!

StuntNun - yes, if you get carb flu it really shouldn't take more than a few days to get through. It takes a bit longer for some people, from what I've read, but on the basis of what people have reported on Bootcamp, I'd say you should be through the worst within a week. When are your exams?

StuntNun Tue 14-May-13 23:16:59

Exams are not until mid-June BUT my mum is over for 14 days before then and she is going to be constantly buying and cooking food for me while she's here so she will inadvertently sabotage my diet in that time. She's my mum, she can't help it. She means well but I know she's going to turn up with a load of chocolate, cook pasta and rice and potatoes and probably leave muffins lying around the house to boot.

The good news is DH is going to do the boot camp with me but he still says he won't eat cauliflower even if I do fry it in butter!

twinklestar2 Tue 14-May-13 23:35:19

Stuntnun, you can start now by cutting out bread, pasta, rice and potatoes.

BIWI Wed 15-May-13 08:26:43

I think, on balance, I'd probably leave it until after your exams, StuntNun. Another month isn't going to make that much difference.

But what I would advise is that you read up about low carbing so that you are properly armed to do it - and that your DH is also aware/involved and is going to fully commit to it - cauliflower aside!

CrabbyBigbottom Wed 15-May-13 09:36:34

Thanks for those links BIWI, will have a look.

rubybricks Wed 15-May-13 10:11:22

sorry only getting round to posting now - crabby my celeriac smash was a triumph!

i was already surprised at how little there was from a great big vegetable - by the time i'd picked at it all straight from the roasting tin there was even less! (although by the time i'd finished most of it i was almost sickened blush)

thanks again for the culinary assistance, am going to sit with a pen and paper and go through the recipe thread now and jot down things i like the sound of - off now to make breakfast!

Hello! I have questions.

So, do you aim for a daily carb allowance, or do you look at the individual carb % for each item and assume that natural portion control will limit your carb intake?

What do you consider a low carb %? I've read 5% and under, or 9% or under. Being vegetarian I have tried to find some low carb protein but quorn and veggie sausages are all around 7-8%.

I've in putted today's food into mfp and I have had 27g of carbs today. Is that a lot? It is also around 1000 calories so that's not too bad.

teaandthorazine Wed 15-May-13 13:36:26

Hi Ehric. There's no hard and fast rule here. The general aim in low-carb is that levels below 20g of carb per day will put you into ketosis, or optimum fat-burning mode. The truth is that everyone's different. I don't count carbs, but if I'm eating 'proper' low-carb I figure I'm anywhere between 10-50g per day, and will be in ketosis and be losing weight. But others can lose on anything less than 100g, even 150g (especially if very active) though that would be classed as moderate, not low carb.

I will eat freely anything under 5% carbs. For anything else, I consider the portion size and how much I really want it grin

I don't count or weigh anything. It's my personal view that calories are fairly irrelevant, though I know others would disagree. Low-carb is very self-limiting because of the high satiety of fat and protein, so you eat less.

Thanks. Well I have taken a look at what I have eaten today and I think it would be hard to get my carbs much lower without cutting out all vegetables which I just can't do. I'm going to give it a couple of weeks and see what my weight does. I weighed today after 4 days and the scales haven't moved but that's to be expected!

BIWI Wed 15-May-13 13:47:01

Ehric - the whole point of Bootcamp is that you don't have to weigh or count anything. Just follow the rules!

You should be getting the vast majority of your carbs from veg/salad, so if you only eat from the allowed list (which is on one of the tabs on the bottom of spreadsheet), and then focus on eating veg/salad that is 3g carbs per 100g you will be fine.

If you've eaten 27g carbs today then I would say that would be perfect!

Don't worry about calories. No need to on this WOE.

Re vegetarian protein - don't forget eggs!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now