(747 Posts)
BIWI Wed 11-Apr-12 11:31:11

Asparagus Frittata (serves 2)

250g/9oz asparagus, trimmed and cut into 5cm/2in pieces
4 eggs
4 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan or Pecorino cheese
225g/8oz spring onions, finely chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil

- Cook asparagus in boiling water until tender (7-10 minutes)
- Whisk the eggs and add the cheese and the spring onions
- Pre-heat the grill
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan that can go under the grill
- Put in the asparagus; stir-fry for a minute, then pour in the eaten eggs, moving the asparagus around gently to make sure the egg mixture gets right through, and that the grated cheese is well distributed
- Let the frittata cook over a moderate heat for a few minutes until the underside is cooked and lightly browned, then put the pan under a hot grill for a minute or two until the top is set and golden brown

5.5g carbs per serving

Recipe from Rose Elliot's "The Vegetarian Low-Carb Diet Book"

I think it would work with very little sweetener, I didn't really have much left so there was only a tiny bit and I only used that as I had run out of peanut butter! (was meant to be peanut butter, cream cheese and cream and I wouldn't have used any sweetener in that), will posts some amounts later as I am struggling to load this thread properly on my phone for long. smile

BIWI Fri 08-Aug-14 08:38:30

They sound nice! Do you think they would work without the stevia? Or, could you use some vanilla bean paste instead? It is sweetened, but you only need a very small amount to get a sweet taste.

Can you post some quantities as well?

A rare treat...

Chocolate cheesecake, I froze these and the centre turned out like chocolate ice cream.

Melted butter and ground almonds together and made a base in silicone cupcake cups, lined cases with melted very dark choc.

Mixed together, cream cheese, 1 tbsp cocoa powder, some double cream and a little stevia and a couple of blobs on pb, filled cupcake cases and covered with melted dark choc.

In the morning they were the consistancy of ice cream but able to bite through, in the fridge they will just be all lovely and runny cheesecakey.

BIWI Tue 29-Jul-14 22:07:03

Low carbing is so not about deprivation Earlybird!!!

Earlybird Tue 29-Jul-14 20:34:35

Goodness - there are some yummy sounding things here! Almost makes me think they're too good to be true ?!

<am accustomed to associating deprivation with watching what I eat>

miffy49 Tue 29-Jul-14 15:45:42

I haven't tried frozen cauli as rice but I know it roasts well. If you have your oven fairly hot any water evaporates fast and leaves it nice and crispy but the stalks are soft. I like it better than fresh for roast cauli.

seagull70 Mon 28-Jul-14 23:01:05

Thank you biwi xx

BIWI Mon 28-Jul-14 22:47:48

Yes, tinned tomatoes are fine, as long as you're not having that much. A normal tin of tomatoes is 400g, so on that basis the Tesco ones are 16g carbs. If the tin is split between 4 of you, then obviously that's not too many. But if you end up eating a sauce or curry made with half the tin, it starts to get a bit carby, especially when you add it to whatever else you've used to make the sauce/dish!

No idea about frozen cauliflower rice - worth giving it a try though! Frozen cauliflower is surprisingly good, so it may work well.

seagull70 Sat 19-Jul-14 20:21:11

Couple of quick questions ...

Are tinned tomatoes OK? I have found a recipe for madras curry sauce which the whole family will eat. Tesco tinned toms are 4g per 100g so is this ok?

Also, has anyone frozen batches of cauliflower rice? Would it be best to do it pre-cooked or would you cook it first?

I'm trying to plan ahead a bit smile

BIWI Thu 17-Jul-14 13:40:56

That sounds lovely, Dalmation!

DalmationStripe Thu 17-Jul-14 13:37:49

I'm new to this so hopefully this recipe is okay.

Leek carbonara

Fry leek, bacon and mushrooms in butter/olive oil.

Mix eggs, double cream, Parmesan and black pepper together and add to the leeks bacon and mushrooms, mix everything together until the sauce is cooked.

I had this last night. It was beautiful. smile

NAR4 Sun 13-Jul-14 14:22:15

Not sure if this is the right place to put this but I found that Onken Natural Set Bio Yogurt is lower in carbs than Total, which a few people have said they think is the lowest carbs, also sliced sandwhich smoked salmon from Sainsburys is only 0.1g carbs per 100g, which is a whole pack.

BuzzardBird Thu 19-Jun-14 12:50:35

Ah, thanks Miffy thanks

miffy49 Thu 19-Jun-14 12:13:18

Back again! Found pictures on Kindle. The diet book is pink. the recipe book is cream.

miffy49 Thu 19-Jun-14 12:10:11

I got mine on Kindle so I'm not sure. Theres the IPD diet book and theres a follow on recipe book. The diet book has quite a lot of useful 'head stuff' as well as the diet back ground and a few recipes and meal ideas. The recipe book has the food lists for the stages and, obviously, more recipes. Hope this helps.

BuzzardBird Thu 19-Jun-14 10:53:53

Have been googling the IPD book and have discovered that there are two versions...one with a cream cover and one with a pink cover. Which one should I buy for the best low-carb recipes please?

miffy49 Mon 16-Jun-14 19:58:04

Its the cookbook that accompanies the Neris and India's Idiot Proof Diet book. Very similar to Bootcamp on phase one of IPD.

wizzywig Mon 16-Jun-14 19:12:51

Hi. Just joined, whats the IPD cookbook?

lowcarbforthewin Sat 07-Jun-14 08:42:24

Dairy free courgette fritters here

SarahBeenysBumblingApprentice Sat 07-Jun-14 07:14:59

Fat bombs:

4oz unsalted butter, 4oz coconut oil, 3oz 90% chocolate melted together and poured into mini muffin cases in the fridge. Mine separated but they taste ok. I haven't tried being a bit more cautious with the heat yet to see if that stops separation.

Almond bombs of diet destruction:
(adapted from the Grass Fed Girl blog)

I think these are a treat item rather than a fat bomb!

250g almond butter, 100ml coconut milk, 150g unsalted butter, vanilla (ground or essence), 1/2 tsp cinnamon. Desiccated coconut for rolling.

You could add sweetener if you want but they probably don't need it.

Put a bowl over a waterbath in a saucepan and gently melt the ingredients in it. Put the mixture in the fridge until firmed and roll into 1 inch balls. Roll in the desiccated coconut.

Parsnipcake Fri 06-Jun-14 20:06:53

My fat bomb recipe:

1 tablespoon almond butter
1 bar aldi moser Roth dark chocolate - any flavour. There is 12.5 carbs in most of the mini bars. I like the orange one.
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 tbsp butter
Sweetener to taste - I don't use it but you might.

Melt the almond butter in a pan and when it's melted take the pan off the heat and add all other ingredients. Add sweetener to taste ( liquid stevia?). You may need to heat the pan a little more, but I usually find it's hot enough to melt everything. Pour yummy liquid into mini muffin cases ( in shaped cake tin) and freeze.

Fat bomb 2

1 pack of sugar free jelly made with 1/2 water and 1/2 cream, I like raspberry and add a few raspberries. Freeze in mini muffins as above. Gelatine is suppose to help with skin tightness.

lowcarbforthewin Fri 30-May-14 12:09:08

Easy Thai prawn curry soup (minus the noodles of course, but zoodles would be good here) here

daisychicken Mon 05-May-14 11:36:51

Courgette Gratin (from Telegraph website & I posted on the Bootcamp thread)

4 courgettes
1 onion (use a shallot for lower carbs)
1 clove of garlic
175ml dbl cream
Grated lemon zest
60g grated Parmesan
10 leaves of basil
Handful of ground almonds (recipe uses breadcrumbs)
Handful of pumpkin seeds (optional but adds a little crunch if you use)

Preheat oven 200degC / GM6

Slice courgette diagonally into 1cm thick slices, toss in olive oil, salt & pepper. Put in oven dish at top of oven for 10 min till just soft.

While they’re cooking finely slice the onion and garlic and gently fry in oil until soft. When the courgettes are cooked drop them into a bowl with the onion, garlic, roughly chopped basil, ¾ of the parmesan and a little grated lemon zest. Mix together well and the spread out in an ovenproof baking dish.

Evenly pour over the double cream and scatter over the ground almonds, remaining parmesan and pumpkin seeds over the top.

Bake on the top shelf of the oven for fifteen minutes until bubbling and golden on top. Finish off under the grill to get a really golden topping if needed.

Variations
Layer some sliced tomatoes amongst the courgettes before pouring over the double cream.

Was gorgeous! I had it with sausages but any meat I think would go well, leftovers heated well but the courgette does get a little soggy so be aware that it doesn't really keep and it wouldn't freeze.

MintyCoolMojito Mon 05-May-14 07:41:04

Place marking for future reference - am making shopping list now!

DulcetMoans Fri 02-May-14 21:01:20

I'm gonna need this!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now