(739 Posts)
BIWI Wed 11-Apr-12 11:31:11

Asparagus Frittata (serves 2)

250g/9oz asparagus, trimmed and cut into 5cm/2in pieces
4 eggs
4 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan or Pecorino cheese
225g/8oz spring onions, finely chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil

- Cook asparagus in boiling water until tender (7-10 minutes)
- Whisk the eggs and add the cheese and the spring onions
- Pre-heat the grill
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan that can go under the grill
- Put in the asparagus; stir-fry for a minute, then pour in the eaten eggs, moving the asparagus around gently to make sure the egg mixture gets right through, and that the grated cheese is well distributed
- Let the frittata cook over a moderate heat for a few minutes until the underside is cooked and lightly browned, then put the pan under a hot grill for a minute or two until the top is set and golden brown

5.5g carbs per serving

Recipe from Rose Elliot's "The Vegetarian Low-Carb Diet Book"

Kiriwawa Sun 20-Jan-13 19:54:11

Assuming we have a snow day here tomorrow (very likely as we've had a good six inches over the course of last night/today), I'm going to have these for breakfast (sans muffins obviously): Eggs benedict with smoked salmon and spinach And then you can use the leftover egg whites to make almond crackers! smile

Ruprekt Sun 20-Jan-13 20:07:15

Shredded red cabbage with salt and oil and roasted in the oven was a winner tonight!

Thanks to whoever gave me that idea.

Yum.

nappyaddict Sun 20-Jan-13 22:30:16

Anyone got a good chicken tikka masala or coconut chicken curry recipe?

We had gammon in the slow cooker today. Rubbed it in black pepper and cinnamon. Put it on high for about 3 hours. Poured in 50ml port, 50ml sugar free cranberry juice (3.3g carbs per 100ml) and sprinkled the top with some cranberries (According to Asda 3.4g carbs per 100g) BIWI Is that OK carb wise? I thickened the sauce up for everyone else with cornflour but left mine as it was. Is there a way to thicken sauces up in a low carb way?

Served with broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, leeks and swede mash.

BlackAffronted Mon 21-Jan-13 07:22:33
BlackAffronted Mon 21-Jan-13 07:26:22

Loaded Chicken

Serves 4

4 chicken breasts, butterflied (cut through to almost through, then opened out)

Tomato basil sauce -

2 tablespoons tomato puree
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon water
Pinch of dried basil
1 crushed garlic clove
Pinch onion powder
Salt & pepper

Mix all together in a small bowl and then smear over the open chicken breast.

Top with mushrooms, crispy bacon, shallot (any topping you like really) and grated cheese.

Whack in the oven for 30 mins.

Snowkey Mon 21-Jan-13 07:43:23

Not doing bootcamp this year but just wanted to report back on some of the recipes below - did Ginger Pork at the weekend, added some chilli. It was lovely, served it in a big bowl with some January cabbage - which is lovely and sweet atm. Pork was a big hit with the dcs and just the thing after a day of sledging

Cabbage carbonara - also a big hit for cabbage hating dcs we served this with roast chicken.

Beef Bourguignon yesterday with broccoli, serves more than the four suggested. I did mine in the slow cooker.

BlackAffronted Mon 21-Jan-13 10:20:06

Cant wait to try that recipe Snowkey!

Ruprekt Mon 21-Jan-13 16:53:32

I found a lovely recipe card in Sainsburys today.

Poached egg on a rosti of root vegetables.

Thought I might adjust it and do a rosti of swede and celeriac (like a hash brown almost) poached egg, sausage and bacon. Nice weekend breakfast.

Ilisten2theradio Mon 21-Jan-13 16:55:34

Just saw this pancake recipe and wondered if anyone had tried it or anything similar?

Ruprekt Mon 21-Jan-13 17:04:28

I made similar this afternoon.

2oz cream cheese
2 eggs
salt

Whisk together. Pour pancake amount into hot pan with melted butter. cook and serve with butter or ham or be a pig and add double cream!!!

They are quite omelettey but delish. will add more cream cheese next time to make a thicker batter.

REally good pancakes.

BIWI Mon 21-Jan-13 17:42:06

Rosti sounds lovely, Ruprekt.

Snowkey Mon 21-Jan-13 20:50:48

The Rosti idea sent me off searching - found this on the Harcombe website.

Celeriac rosti  
Q
Had the most fantastic celeriac rosti at work today and got the Chef to let me have the recipe so thought I'd share as I've picked up lots of great recipes on here. He generally makes it with one quarter potato as well but he said there is no problem making it without although it probably won't hold its shape as well.

Feeds 4-6
1kg of grated celeriac
2 eggs 
200 ml cream
Season well 
chopped roasted garlic
chopped thyme
Mix grated celeriac, roasted garlic, chopped thyme and seasoning together. Put in 20cm Square diameter , 2inch deep tray (or similar). Mix egg and cream and pour over celeriac - just enough to cover, cook for 45-50 minutes gas mark 7, check with a small knife to see if soft and cooked, then press cooked celeriac cake with a little weight for 1hour, chill over night, then cut to preferred shape (if you want individual rostis) and re-bake.

Sounds like something that would go nicely with a steak or a roast.

Kiriwawa Mon 21-Jan-13 21:05:06

Ooh that sounds wonderful snow! If nothing else (if I never get back into my size 12s), I will always love this WOE for introducing me to celeriac - the world's least inspiring looking vegetable which I now adore grin

prettybird Mon 21-Jan-13 22:50:57

BTW - the venison was lovely. Panfried it in lots of (burnt) butter. Took them out to rest them and add the left over cranberry gravy to the pan, to which I'd added the juices/blood from defrosting and some sour cream and double cream and a few more fresh cranberries. Yummy. ultimately ate 4 cranberries

Served it with shredded savoy cabbage which I had microwaved with a slab of butter for two minutes, stirred, added another slab of butter and microwaved for another 2 minutes, before grating in some nutmeg and adding some sea salt and pepper smile

Would have been lovely with the wine dh and his study buddy were having hmm - they're currently studying for their Master of Wine qualification, so had been comparing and contrasting two lovely red wines.

But I resisted. grin

BIWI Tue 22-Jan-13 20:17:04

Cheesey flaxseed crisps

For all those of you who were wanting crispy/crunchy snacks - I have been experimenting in the kitchen and have come up with some cheese flaxseed crisps that work out at 1.45g carbs for the whole lot - around 20!

I adapted a Delia recipe for crackers that would normally be made with wholemeal flour.

50g milled flaxseed (I used Linwoods, which I bought in Sainsbury's)
50g grated Cheshire cheese
50g grated Cheddar cheese
50g butter, at room temperature, cut into dice
1/4 teaspoon salt
pinch cayenne pepper
freshly ground pepper

Mix everything together as if you were going to make pastry (I did this by hand, but with retrospect it would have easier to use my food processor). It should come together quite easily in a dough.

Put a large piece of clingfilm down on your worktop and put the lump of dough in the middle of it, and top with another piece of clingfilm. This means that you can roll the dough out without having to use flour - so keeping the carbs as low as possible.

When the dough was rolled out, I used a small biscuit cutter to make about 20 rounds (each about 2 inches across). I put these on a baking tray, on top of some greaseproof paper. However, when I baked them, and the butter and cheese melted, the flaxseed didn't absorb the fat, like flour would, so the whole lot melted into one big piece. But - when I took it out of the oven, it broke anyway, into individual pieces.

So - you could do what I did, or you could just roll the whole thing out thinly, in a rectangle to fit the shape of the oven tray, and bake it in one piece, and then cut it up when it comes out of the oven.

I baked them on a shallow oven tray, at 170 degrees (fan oven) for an initial 6 minutes, checked them and then gave them another 2 minutes, as the middle was still a bit soggy.

When they are cooked, they look sort of lacey, a bit like brandy snaps.

They are lovely!

Ruprekt Tue 22-Jan-13 21:35:49

OOhhhh BIWIDelia - they sound lovely.

<gets snowboots on to go out and get flaxseed>

BlackAffronted Sun 27-Jan-13 09:20:20

Just had some amazing pancakes, I think better than the cream cheese ones.

3 tablespoons whey protein (I use this one, the natural one is lowest in carbs)
2 tablespoons ground almonds
half teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon melted butter or coconut oil
1 large egg
2 teaspoon water

Mix all the ingredients together.
Add some butter/coconut oil to a frying pan
Heat to a medium heat and then add a tablespoon or 2 of the batter and et it cook for a minute, then flip & cook the other side. Should make 3 or 4 pancakes.
Less than 3g carbs for the whole recipe.

BlackAffronted Sun 27-Jan-13 09:23:14

Halloumi bites

Chop a block of halloumi into bitesize chunks
Wrap with a small peice of streaky bacon

Pop on a baking tray. Into the oven at 200C for about 20/25 minutes, until the cheese has melted & the bacon crisp.

nappyaddict Sun 27-Jan-13 09:31:21

BackAffronted What are those like cold? I was thinking I could do them in advance and keep in the fridge as snacks.

I demolised a whole pack of chorizo yesterday between getting home from work and having dinner blush Well better than crisps I suppose!

BlackAffronted Sun 27-Jan-13 12:56:37

Very nice cold! I made them long before my guests arrived, and everyone still scoffed them.

Kiriwawa Tue 29-Jan-13 10:31:31

Cauliflower/leek au gratin

1 cauli cut into florets of similar size about an inch across
3 leeks into rings
2 shallots sliced
Butter
Thyme (ideally fresh but I used dried) about 1 tsp
2 tsp chilli flakes
Grated cheese
Double cream
Philly

Preheat the over to 180 ish
Parboil the cauli for 2-3 minutes and drain.
Melt a good amount of butter in a deep frying pan, add the leeks and shallots, thyme and chilli flakes and saute until soft. Remove from heat, add 1/2 tub of philly (about 100g), some cream and about a cup of grated cheese (I buy those big bags of ready grated mature cheddar but the original recipe said to use gruyere).

Arrange the cauli in an ovenproof dish so they're relative even in depth, and spoon the leek mixture over the top so it covers. Sprinkle with more cheese and bake in the oven for 25 mins.

For extra crunch, finish under the grill for 5-10 mins until it is deep brown and bubbly on top

hillyhilly Tue 29-Jan-13 11:56:47

Marking my place, not read through yet but one of my top tips for a packed lunch is to make v thin (1egg) omelettes, then use them as a wrap.

Snowkey Tue 29-Jan-13 22:05:53

Made the haloumi bites tonight to use up some bacon and Haloumi which has been in the fridge since summer. I really didn't think you could pair 2 strongly flavoured foods together and come up with something other than an over flavoured mess, well how wrong I was - it was fantastic - definitely one to make again. I served it with some roasted veg and the celeriac rosti left over from Sunday. Swoon!

MyHeadWasInTheSandNowNot Tue 29-Jan-13 22:21:37

Some of these sound lovely smile <thanks for the link BIWI>

I'm a newly diagnosed diabetic who fully intends to go against the high starchy carbs, low fat diet I've been told by the nurse to follow and I'm vegetarian (no eggs either) so I need all the help I can get!

Snowkey Tue 29-Jan-13 22:34:53

There's a lovely low carb Aubergine and Haloumi baked dish from Cranks Fast Food if you have it.

Meant to say thanks Backafronted for the bacon haloumi bites recipe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now