(748 Posts)
BIWI Wed 11-Apr-12 11:31:11

Asparagus Frittata (serves 2)

250g/9oz asparagus, trimmed and cut into 5cm/2in pieces
4 eggs
4 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan or Pecorino cheese
225g/8oz spring onions, finely chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil

- Cook asparagus in boiling water until tender (7-10 minutes)
- Whisk the eggs and add the cheese and the spring onions
- Pre-heat the grill
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan that can go under the grill
- Put in the asparagus; stir-fry for a minute, then pour in the eaten eggs, moving the asparagus around gently to make sure the egg mixture gets right through, and that the grated cheese is well distributed
- Let the frittata cook over a moderate heat for a few minutes until the underside is cooked and lightly browned, then put the pan under a hot grill for a minute or two until the top is set and golden brown

5.5g carbs per serving

Recipe from Rose Elliot's "The Vegetarian Low-Carb Diet Book"

halfthesize Wed 16-Jan-13 21:20:46

Garlic chicken wrapped in parma ham.

Take 4 chicken breast and slice into the middle creating a pocket.
Mix Butter with garlic (and chilli flakes if wanted)
scoop the mixture evenly into the pockets of the 4 chicken breasts, then wrap each breast in parma ham(I normally need 2 packs).
I use a skewer to keep them in place.
Cook on 180 for aprox 40 mins
I then serve with green salad dressed with a dressing of olive oil and chilli flakes.

nappyaddict Thu 17-Jan-13 00:05:45

I do the above in the slow cooker - just brown the chicken first.

Just found this blog which looks like it could be useful.

nappyaddict Thu 17-Jan-13 00:34:35

Anyone got a really tasty pork belly strips recipe for the slow cooker?

QuickLookBusy Fri 18-Jan-13 21:30:45

I made these crackers this afternoon, they were delicious!

100gs of ground almonds
An egg white.
Salt

Mix the egg white with the almonds. Make into about 12 little balls.
Put baking parchment on a baking tray and place the almond balls onto it.
Squash the balls into thinish cracker shapes.
Sprinkle with salt.

Bake for 8-10 mins on 170°C

I ate them with cheese and salad., but you could eat with lots of things- a bit of peanut butter/pâté/humous/cream cheese etc etc.

QuickLookBusy Fri 18-Jan-13 21:32:47
prettybird Fri 18-Jan-13 21:40:53

Think you posted that on the wrong thread: this is the Bootcamp Recipe thread! confused

QuickLookBusy Fri 18-Jan-13 21:52:30

Oh gosh, I'm such a pratgrin

Not exactly a recipe as such - more food preparation - but one of my favorite snacks last week was raw tuna strips rolled in nori with sticks of cucumber.

Got sent a really enormous tuna steak in my shopping order (treat to myself for sticking with the woe - don't get normally as it's really much too expensive) so hacked a bit off and made the snack. Was really really good.

But for a more everyday thing reckon it would be pretty good with tinned tuna, or sardines.

This www.food.com/recipe/molly-coddled-eggs-181775 is what I'm planning to have at some point soon, perhaps supper tomorrow - coddled eggs.

Basically eggs with butter cream and if you want, grated cheddar/Parmesan, baked in ramekins in oven in Bain Marie. Vg with spinach/asparagus.

BigStickBIWI Sat 19-Jan-13 16:22:25

That sounds yummy, Choos.

prettybird Sun 20-Jan-13 15:08:54

Any ideas of what I could do with the venison leg steaks I've got for tomorrow? I know they are very lean.

I usually just pan fry them (could maybe use extra butter?) and then serve a sauce/gravy that I made for my roast pheasant at Christmas (which has been in the freezer) which is various chopped roasted veg plus the scrapping for the pheasant roasting tin, chicken stock and some sherry added, reduced, sieved to remove the veg and then some (homemade) redcurrent jelly and cranberries added.

I can serve it with some nice creamy veg.

BigStickBIWI Sun 20-Jan-13 16:42:42

That would be quite carby, though, with the redcurrant jelly and the cranberries.

I'll see if I can find any exciting recipes!

BigStickBIWI Sun 20-Jan-13 16:52:23
BigStickBIWI Sun 20-Jan-13 16:56:13
BigStickBIWI Sun 20-Jan-13 16:57:55

I think because venison is so lean, you definitely need to fry them in butter, and preferably serve them in some kind of creamy sauce. A creamy mushroom sauce would be my choice I think.

prettybird Sun 20-Jan-13 17:03:02

It was just a teaspoon of redcurrant and a tablespoon of cranberries when I made it for Christmas and there was about half left over which is what I froze - so the end result for me would be 1/3 of a 1/2 of one teaspoon redcurrant jelly and a 1/3 of a half of a tablespoon of cranberries grinconfused.

I could always stir some extra cream into the sauce, just to add to the fattiness! wink

That recipe is pretty much how I pan fry venison anyway - only difference this time will be that this time I will do it in frothing butter rather than a smear of olive oil.

prettybird Sun 20-Jan-13 17:05:39

Mushrooms and peppers are off the menu for me unless you want to see me boak

BIWI Sun 20-Jan-13 17:12:32

No I don't! grin

I have some shredded chicken I need to use today, normally I would add it to pasta sauce so Im not sure what to do! Really don't fancy a salad! Cheers smile

BIWI Sun 20-Jan-13 17:14:47

Have you got any lettuce leaves that you could use as wraps? Mix the chicken with some mayo and chilli (and any other suitable veg that you might have) and eat with the lettuce wraps.

That's a bit too salad-y! I fancy something hot, been sledging and snowball fighting this avo!

Aha ! Dp is going to make our usual creamy chicken and mushroom pasta sauce and do courgette 'pasta' with it. Yum! Im going to have your idea for lunch one day next week though smile

BIWI Sun 20-Jan-13 17:21:24

Got any cabbage? Do a similar thing:

Saute some shallots and mushrooms and whatever other bits of veg you have/like in lots of butter. Add the chicken. Season and mix together.

Blanch cabbage leaves for a couple of minutes, then drain and dry. (You may need to cut out the central, tough stalk of the leaf)

Lay out the cabbage leaves on a chopping board and fill with some of the chicken mixture, then roll it up, folding in the sides as you go, so you end up with little parcels.

Put the parcels into a shallow oven dish, pour over some cream, then top with generous handfuls of grated mature cheddar.

Bake in the oven until piping hot and the cheese is nicely browned.

vnmum Sun 20-Jan-13 17:43:12

Mild Mince Beef Curry in the Slowcooker.

Serves 4

2 tbsp oil
2 onions, chopped (or replace with some shallots)
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tsp grated fresh root ginger
450g minced beef
2 tbsp mild curry powder
200ml water
2 tbsp tom puree
Salt
4 tbsp double cream

Heat oil in saucepan
Add onions, garlic,ginger and beef and cook, stirring, until meat is no longer pink and the grains are seperate.
Stir in curry powder and cook for 2 mins
Stir in water and tom puree. Season with salt.
Bring to the boil and then transfer to slow cooker.
Cover and cook on high for 2 - 3 hours.
Stir in the cream and serve.

skandi1 Sun 20-Jan-13 17:43:35

BlackAffronted. Yes. I did thank uou. smileI have managed to catch up today and I will be making it on Tuesday. It's roast chicken tonight with celeriac chips.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now