Mauritius: La Residence or Belle Mare Plage?

(26 Posts)
HolidaysQueen Wed 25-Mar-09 09:27:42

DH and I are thinking of going to Mauritius in Sept/Oct with our DS who will be 18mo. Trying to decide between La Residence (preference) or Belle Mare Plage (£500 cheaper!) and have a few qns about them:

1) What is there for us to do with DS? Just the beach and pool or are there other things as well? We don't want to leave him in a kids club (even if they would take him), but wondered if there are facilities like that which we could use with him.

2) What is there to do with a toddler if it rains?

3) What is the room like? Anywhere to put DS's cot where we won't disturb him if we're watching tv / having room service? There was a huge walk in closet in our hotel on hol in Nov which was bigger than his nursery so he slept there! Wondered if there is anything similar at these hotels, or if you would recommend an upgrade to suite or something bigger.

4) What is the food like half board? Do you get a good choice of restaurants or is it better to just do B&B and then have our pick of restaurants?

Thank you!!!

givemeaclue Fri 19-Oct-12 20:34:04

We have just booked for maritim, well balanced do you have any tips for when we are there?

Honestyisbest Wed 17-Oct-12 12:44:25

How was Anahita? Been recommended by Scott Dunn ...

notserp Tue 05-Apr-11 13:42:56

Here's a review of The Residence Mauritius and also reviews for Beau Rivage in Mauritius... there are always special offers on too ;)

amandaandguy Thu 24-Mar-11 19:31:07

Hi folks, we went to Mauritius last year and it is fab because, despite the long flight, the time difference is only 3 -4 hours, so no week to recover fom the jet lag, no malaria, no jabs, safe, wonderful service as opposed to European indifference and (relatively speaking) a lot for your bucks especially when a two week decent camping holiday in France or a good self catering holiday can work out at close to £2000 (before food etc...). Having researched extensively last year (and I really did call everyone), Airworld Tours were consistently around £1000 cheaper at least than anyone else (ask for Hansa - lovely lady - pronounced Hansha) and Ultimate Family Holidays were very close to them on price too with really fab peronal service (David). I really recommend that you check with both operators first. If you're worried about the cost of drinks etc.. a mean sounding but really good tip is to each buy wine at the airport in Mauritius. They stock an astoundingly good selection of French and other wines and most hotels are more than happy to provide a corkscrew and glasses. With young children or babies, after supper it is just lovely to sit on your balcony with a very decent wine for less than £10 as opposed to the equivalent starting at around £30.I think you can have 3 or 4 bottles each - sorry that sounds alcoholic! Friend just returned from the Residence last week - with 12 month old - loved it, had no fault to find. Sister at Belle Mare with her three during Easter - will let you know how it goes. Do check your prices with these operators first though - think you will be pleasantly surprised. And haggle!.x

twinterror Wed 01-Sep-10 12:29:49

We have been looking at mauritius for next year and are thinking of hte maritim too, it gets very good reviewson trip advisor whereas some of th eothers are a big mixed.

wellbalanced Mon 23-Aug-10 12:58:49

We've been to Maritim hotel in Mauritius twice and are returning with our (will be) 18mth DS in Dec. Its AI and althou a lot of money we can only travel at this time so alot of far away places were exp.
We loved it spent very little when there and did all the things we wanted.
La Residence and Belle Mare Plage were on our list as well but with a good travel agent who had been to all we choose Maritim.

Emmaroos Sun 22-Aug-10 21:39:59

We had a great holiday at the Club Med Pointe Aux Cannonaires. Slightly different to what we usually do (we've never done all-inclusive before), but got an incredibly good deal at the last minute and it was one of the few places that provided childcare for a 6 month old.
We upgraded to a suite so the cot could be in the living-room and it opened onto a quiet section of the beach so it felt more like being in a beach villa than a hotel room. The creche was superb. The only thing (but it applies to most 'resort' holidays) is that we needed to get a cab and go out for dinner a few times because otherwise I would have got cabin fever. However, even counting the extra dinners on top of having paid for the all inclusive package we spent WAY less than we usually would, and still had a lovely quiet holiday.

dangirl Fri 22-Jan-10 21:48:16

Just swa this.
We went to Anahita last easter. Have 2 kids - then 2 and 7. We had a great time and loved the place! Have previously stayed at Belle Mare and Prince Maurice pre kids.
Anahita's set up perfect with kids. So much space in flats with the feel of a hotel. Great kitchens - bring basic foods from home. Kids club great and lots of things to do with kids if not wanting the club.
Please ask if you have any specific questions.
Enjoy!
Dangirl

3HotCrossBuns Thu 14-Jan-10 22:23:49

In the end, after much faffing, we have decided on Anahita with Scott Dunn. Fingers crossed it will be a fabulous holiday!

ILoveGregoryHouse Wed 13-Jan-10 19:34:46

Hiya, went to The Residence for honeymoon with xh. It was not great tbh. I would spend the money on the maldives.

Freedomweekend Wed 13-Jan-10 19:31:06

OOh - me too 3HotCrossBuns. Although its going to be just DH and me (bliss!).

I'm after any recommendations for Mauritius at all, please.

3HotCrossBuns Wed 06-Jan-10 10:15:53

Hello, sorry to resurrect an old thread but I'm thinking of booking a trip to Mauritius and wondered whether anyone had any feedback on La Residence, Anahita or Belle Mare Plage following the previous discussions?
I've had a quote from Scott Dunn for both and Elegant Resorts for La Residence. It is a lot of money though... (me, DH and 3 kids aged nearly 5, just turning 3 and 9 months when we travel).

Thanks x

dietqueen Mon 06-Apr-09 08:11:13

We went a couple of years ago to be honest had a lovely time but again wouldnt go again as it was so, so, so expensive...couldnt even get tipsey as G & T was £10 and a decent bottle of wine with evening meal was £45 and that was then!!!

All we really did was sun and sea and one trip and for what we paid I dont think it was truly worth it.

I was disappointed when I came home - leave it with you

AbleSister Sun 05-Apr-09 22:39:45

go to Bognor

buggybored Sun 05-Apr-09 22:39:11

Emirates does have some fab offers but the connection times via Dubai are lousy. As Virgin have stopped flying to Mauritius the only other option is BA but then you can't do overnight flights both ways (which to me is the only way I can think about doing the 12 hour flight with kids without re-booking us for a week in Bognor...). Carrier have also got some good offers on tho' not sure with which airline.

poshtottie Wed 01-Apr-09 21:18:50

emirates tours uk were advertising some good deals to Mauritius, some with free upgrades to business class.

Do they have a rainy season? Was thinking of taking DH for his 40th.

buggybored Wed 01-Apr-09 20:54:37

We agonised over the same choice and ended up opting for the BMP because (i) we were able to get two interconnecting rooms (probably less of an issue for you if you only need to squeeze one little one in rather than two!) and (ii) warned by a travel agent that the costs at the residence were generally higher (e.g. babysitting 13 euro hour rather than 8 at BMP - again, depends how important it is for you to have the occasional dinner for two!).

HolidaysQueen Thu 26-Mar-09 19:37:00

Wow! Looks amazing! I'm off to see what deal they can do for us

waitingforgodot Thu 26-Mar-09 19:27:20

no money to book it myself however my sister is getting married and looking for a honeymoon hotel-this looks perfect! Thanks x

squeaver Thu 26-Mar-09 17:29:20

Sorry I've been out all day.

We've booked with Elegant resorts. I believe Scott Dunn are also offering good deals there.

HTH.

waitingforgodot Thu 26-Mar-09 10:58:01

Are you going on a package deal? Who did you book with? Looks amazing

squeaver Thu 26-Mar-09 09:58:05

We're going here for Easter. Just opened and they have some excellent deals at the moment.

waitingforgodot Thu 26-Mar-09 09:53:45

Hey if you can afford Mauritius then go for it envy
Just take plenty of cash!!

HolidaysQueen Wed 25-Mar-09 19:29:04

thanks godot - trip advisor is good for both so we're not quite sure, hence posting on here. we've heard it's expensive, and then because everything is priced in euros it is probably doubly so at the moment. TBH we might just end up going to the south of France!

waitingforgodot Wed 25-Mar-09 17:46:34

my in laws stayed at the Belle Mare plage half board and said it cost a fortune for lunch and drinks in the evening. They felt they were ripped off so wouldn't go back. Not sure about kids facilities though sorry. Have you tried Tripadvisor?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now