Kenya + safari ?

(10 Posts)
angiebaby0178 Wed 12-Mar-14 13:20:13

Hi , we are looking into a nice - once in a lifetime - holibob for next year was wondering if anyone has been to Kenya ?

Ta muchly

Milliways Wed 12-Mar-14 19:38:50

We did 3 years ago for our 25th Anniversary. Got a great discount through our local independant travel agent on the brochure price and went on the Somak Cheetah Safari

It was absolutely brilliant. You get to see lots of different areas, we saw all the animals you could want, had a boat trip, walking trip, our own driver and van who collected us from the airport and drove us back for our transfer to Mombassa for the beach bit at the end.

We went early July, heat was perfect for us - their winter but very warm. We even saw the start of the migration in the Masai Mara.

Cost us £2020/person for 4 adults, (our teens were 15 & 19) and we had 2 rooms everywhere. Standards were great, I would recommend to anyone.

McFlurry Wed 12-Mar-14 19:41:23

I went in 2009. Stayed in Mombasa at a beach hotel and had a 5 day safari in the middle of the fortnight. I booked the safari with a local company (Kenyan

McFlurry Wed 12-Mar-14 19:45:50

Sorry, posted too soon

Company was called Kenyan Adventures and Beyond and we were able to set the itinerary ourselves. We did Tsavo East & West and Amboseli parks and chose our preferred lodges to stay at. We were also able to opt to have a private safari vehicle so that we didn't have to fight for the good seats and we could choose how long to spend in a particular area watching the wildlife.

nannyafrica Wed 12-Mar-14 22:02:59

I have lived in Africa for many years and safaris all depend on what time of year you go. We got married in a national park in Kenya which was amazing (had 12 lions roll up at the wedding!) We did a package with Severin, they have a hotel on the beach in Mombasa and a 5* lodge in Tsavo West.
this is the safari we did
http://www.severin-travel.com/travel-offers/severin-satao-enthusiast-road-safari/
we had 3 nights on the beach then the safari and 4 nights on the beach after.
I would also look at Zambia for great safaris (south luangwa national park is amazingI like Croc valley camp and also Flat dogs camp you could also do Vic falls or go over to Malawi and syat on the lake and do safaris in some of Malawi's national park as entry fees there are only $10 a day.

angiebaby0178 Thu 13-Mar-14 08:44:36

Aw thanks for the replies smile

We are looking at going in March but need to see if I get time off work lol

Would you say it's better to book safari once there - with a local company rather than use the major tour operators ?

We are going without the children ( shock horror !!!)

We have a family break booked fro sept this year for all of the kids etc so the Kenya trip would be just for us :D

Xx

nannyafrica Thu 13-Mar-14 13:58:22

If you go in March I would suggest the Serengeti and Ngorongoro in Tanzania. If you want to see the Great Migration unfold, head there. It's the best time to witness the migration is February - March when the wildebeest and zebra have their young. Not only can you enjoy seeing baby animals, but the predators are at the highest number too. The herds also concentrate in the south of the Serengeti so easy to get to.

McFlurry Thu 13-Mar-14 15:04:56

I booked the safari from the UK several months in advance but used a local Kenyan company. Lots of people at our hotel just booked the safari when they arrived but I was very specific in my lodge choices so didn't want to leave it to the last minute to arrange the safari.

Forago Thu 13-Mar-14 15:09:28

I would also second Tanzania instead of Kenya - Ngoro Ngoro crater, most of the Serengeti and Mt Kilimanjaro are all in Tanzania - depite the photos from the Kenyan Tourist Board smile

Ngoro Ngoro crater is one of the most amazing places I have ever been.

Tanzania is good as can do a weeks safari then beach flop in Zanzibar.

We booked when arrived, but this was some years ago.

Paddlelikemad Thu 15-May-14 23:09:59

We are off to Tanzania in July with our nearly 10 year old.

Everything was organised for us in the Uk, includes, lake Manyara, the Ngorongoro Crater and three nights in the Serengeti at a tented camp.

With everything to think about, I think I would get a bit stressed if I just arrived and then booked, it has been lovely to plan the route and choose the hotels, knowing it is all done. Some places were booked up, as we had reserved and they were chasing us to release the rooms if we didn't want them, so can get busy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now