Long haul in September with toddler and baby- where would you go?

(41 Posts)
mysaladdays Mon 03-Mar-14 07:41:49

We did a lot of long haul travelling pre-children and I really miss it, so am idly wondering if we could put something together that wouldn't be traumatic or completely break the bank.

By the time we would go, we would have a toddler who would need a seat and an under six month old. Not really fussed about beaches to lie on and preference would be east rather than west- have liked Borneo, Singapore, hong kong amongst other places in the past. Toying with the idea of Ho Chi Min, but not sure with children?

Any ideas gratefully received smile

juneau Mon 03-Mar-14 07:58:42

Well I don't have any recommendations for you in SE Asia, as I've never been, but I would take look at what vaccines you and your DC would need to have before you lock in any destination. Personally, I would play it safe with regard to endemic native bugs when travelling with two such young DC.

Weather 2 Travel [http://www.weather2travel.com/ here] is really helpful for figuring out what the weather should be like in any given destination in any given month (i.e. will it be monsoon season or very hot and humid?)

mysaladdays Mon 03-Mar-14 08:37:24

Good point about the vaccinations, that would be a consideration, there's been variation in the places we've been from quite a few needed to none. Obviously, if we couldn't find somewhere suitable from that point of view, we would look elsewhere, maybe consider west rather than east.

Booboostoo Mon 03-Mar-14 08:40:12

Sounds like a nightmare to be honest, why would you do that to yourselves?

Why not go somewhere exotic but short haul? We went to Morocco when DD was 2yo and had a wonderful time (we travel a lot too but only short haul since DD arrived, but there are still plenty of opportunities). A 4 hour flight will get you to Greece where there is plenty to see and do, as well lovely chilled out beaches.

mrsnec Mon 03-Mar-14 08:53:42

If it has to be long haul and that time of year with lots to do I would consider west coast USA.

juneau Mon 03-Mar-14 10:18:38

I agree that the US is a great destination with DC. Americans are generally really helpful, customer service is good, and the little things like luggage trolleys where you need them and people to give you a hand are never an issue. However, it's not exotic (unless you go to Hawaii), so if that is what you're craving how about a Caribbean island or Mexico? I have two friends who've been to Mexico (the Caribbean coast side), in the past year and they both said how great it was with kids and only about a seven or eight hour flight.

mrsnec Mon 03-Mar-14 10:44:28

I agree that west coast isn't exotic I was just thinking florida, Mexico and carribean and a lot of that area has dodgy weather that time of year. It was the weather, lack of jabs, facilities and customer service that made me think of the states and west coast has better weather in September. I think a flydrive in the states anyway would work out loads cheaper than se Asia.if it was this time of year I'd be saying carribean definitely.

Creamycoolerwithcream Mon 03-Mar-14 12:26:05

I'd stick to Europe or maybe Dubai or Oman. I love long haul travelling but put in on hold until my DS3 was 5 and then really made up for lost time. I just worried to much the DC would get I'll or it wouldn't be as enjoyable as I hoped for such a lot of money.

PestoSpringissimos Mon 03-Mar-14 14:39:10

I wouldn't bother with a toddler & young baby, either. Too much hastle and stress with very little return. Your DC's won't appreciate/remember it either. I would personally wait and do something once they are slightly older & then you won't be tied to feeds, nappies, bedtimes etc

mummymeister Mon 03-Mar-14 18:02:58

not sure it would be much of a holiday for you. when they are little all they need is a sandpit really and your time so anything else is a bit wasted on them as they will never remember it when older. think about the jabs, the different food, the physical getting around with luggage (unless you have a car) keep it simple wait a bit and save for something fab when they are 7+.

Artandco Mon 03-Mar-14 18:06:45

We had a lovely trip to Vietnam when ours were small. Spent 6 weeks there when ds1 was 20 months and ds2 was 4 months. Both in slings and x2 rucksacks. Very chilled and relaxing to be free from all the baby paraphernalia people think they need and lovely days sightseeing/ on beach etc
Stayed in a new hotel every few days and worked our way up the country

evertonmint Mon 03-Mar-14 18:13:55

If the DCs don't care where they are, mummymeister, then the OP might as well choose somewhere that she fancies! I never understood this "the kids don't care do don't go anywhere different" mentality. It's the parents holiday too!

We did South Africa with a 9 month old. It has the advantage of zero jet lag. It will be going into spring then, a really nice time to be there. Definitely worth considering the Cape Town area.

Also done Mexico with a 3 year old and 15 month old. Time on the beach and then Mayan ruins. DS loved running around at Chichen Itza.

No jabs or anti-malarials needed for either.

justaweeone Mon 03-Mar-14 18:52:25

We went to goa when our Dd was 18 mths ( she is now 16)
Had a fab laid back holiday
Funnily enough it was my Dm that though we were mad even though she took 3 children 1,6 and 8 years to Tawian in the late 70's!

Artandco Mon 03-Mar-14 22:43:04

Mummy - for 6 weeks and the 4 of us we just had x2 rucksacks. No lugging any luggage around. We went everywhere.

I'm always amazed by how many people take the kitchen sink and more on holiday! I mean have you seen the luggage arrivals at some airports?? Even our ski holidays only have x2 suitcases, and 1 board bag between 4 including helmets/ own skis/ boots etc.

Bunbaker Mon 03-Mar-14 22:46:23

What's wrong with Europe? Isn't it exotic enough? There are loads of fantastic, interesting, off the beaten track places to visit without the hassle of vaccinations, anti-malarial drugs, long flights etc.

guccigirly Mon 03-Mar-14 22:48:25

The well to do in my area with young children go to the Abama Hotel in Tenerife. Expensive, but they go back year after year for the luxury and how happy and relaxed they all come back. Have a look online.

Artandco Mon 03-Mar-14 22:51:32

Bunbaker- Europe is lovely but to us isn't really a holiday destination. We both grew up in various European cities, travel to many now for work, or they are what we classify as weekend trips ie weekend to Berlin/ Florence/ Paris to visit friends/ see sights. Europe is also kinda cold even in August ( the sea def is IMO)

Op - please don't be put off. I would find maybe 3 places you would like to go, then look into them more and see what works best

Not all children are ' terrible at travelling'. If they have grown up having to for family/ work etc, then by say 2 they are often well seasoned travellers.

LulaPalooza Mon 03-Mar-14 23:07:11

YY to South Africa. Weather lovely, no jet lag, stunningly beautiful, child friendly everywhere you go...

am biased, as DH is a Saffa and we haven't been anywhere else on holiday except Devon and Scotland in the last 5 years, but it really, truly is great. I would start in Cape Town, then go to Hermanus for whale watching (should be a few in September) then either Garden Route or wine route, then Atlantic coast.

Bunbaker Tue 04-Mar-14 18:32:23

"Bunbaker- Europe is lovely but to us isn't really a holiday destination"

Sorry, but you come across as a little bit snooty about holidaying in Europe.

OH travels long haul all the time and copes very badly with jet lag so a long haul holiday isn't much of a holiday for him. He is also very attractive to and very allergic to biting insects. That is why we stick to Europe.

Living in Yorkshire any of the Mediterranean countries has a lot of appeal for us, and even holidaying in the UK.

We do tend to stay away from all inclusive resorts, places with kid's clubs and very popular destinations like Benidorm. So that makes me snooty as well grin

Creamycoolerwithcream Tue 04-Mar-14 18:46:10

I don't agree about Europe being cold in August, Greece and Turkey are bloody boiling. Even St Petersburg last August wasn't cold.

Bunbaker Tue 04-Mar-14 18:46:53

I agree Creamy. We have spent the last three summers in Italy and never been cold.

Booboostoo Wed 05-Mar-14 07:17:20

Try southern Greece like Crete. Temperatures will be a boiling 40 plus in August and very hot 30 plus in June, July, September. I would suggest you book somewhere with airconditioning though, as young children can suffer quite a bit in the heat.

Personally I am Greek and I avoid Greece in August as it's too hot. The 40 plus heatwaves are awful, you can't sleep at night and vulnerable people, like the elderly, are even known to die of the heat.

Artandco Wed 05-Mar-14 07:17:53

Bunbaker - If you read the rest of my message you would see I wasn't be snooty at all.
My dh grew up in Greece, and Cyprus, and spends a lot of time in Italy and Spain working. I grew up between uk, Italy, and Switzerland. And I work across France, Italy and Germany a lot.
Family still live in places mentioned. Between us there isn't many areas in europe we haven't already been to. We are hardly going to go on holiday to a place which is just ' visiting family'.
We do go to Europe still, but that would be say a weekend somewhere sightseeing/ seeing friends.

It is usually cold IMO. Greece is usually 30 max. Meaning some days even in August it might only be 25, and drops at night. And the sea is cold as most avoid, jump in quick, get out quicker. My idea of warm is 30 at night still with matching sea temps.

This is a thread about long haul, and that doesn't mean Europe to me. Op was asking were to go etc, and everyone has just jumped in saying 'life stops with children'. Don't go anywhere nice as they won't know/ it will be hell. How do you know that if you haven't done it?

Bunbaker Wed 05-Mar-14 07:33:48

"It is usually cold IMO. Greece is usually 30 max."

No comment

We took DD to America in September when she was just 2. Those flights will remain in my nightmares for a long time, and I imagine in the nightmares of our fellow passengers. We were fully prepared, had games, snacks and cbeebies coming out of our ears but it was still fucking awful. Oh, and she got an ear infection on the flight out and was on ($500) antibiotics the whole time we were out there.

Seriously. Go to France!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now