Best airline to go to Thailand?

(16 Posts)
eighout Sun 02-Mar-14 15:59:25

We're about to book flights for a two week holiday to Thailand later in the year. DS is only 2.5. What's the best - most child friendly - airline to go with? And which ones to avoid?

3littlefrogs Sun 02-Mar-14 16:06:48

Consider Emirates with a stop over in Dubai. The Airbus 380 is quiet, comfortable and has a good choice of films/games etc.

IME 2 X 6 hour flights reduces the jet lag and makes the holiday much more enjoyable. (Unless you can afford business class and actually sleep).

The first time I flew to Bangkok with DD she was about 2.5. I "walked" all the way - 11 hours with a child who was terrified of the sound of the toilets flushing. I was exhausted by the time we arrived..

Gini99 Sun 02-Mar-14 16:42:25

or Singapore and have a break in Changi on the way. We did this when going to Thailand with a 2 and 4 yr old. 12 hour layover meant that we could get the hotel in the terminal, go for a swim, play in the playgrounds etc. We did have a long journey once off the plane in Thailand though so this made sense for us.

fivepies Sun 02-Mar-14 16:48:44

We recently flew to Thailand with a two year old and a baby. We flew Qatar Airways. The aircrew were great, but check in annoying (about sitting together, bassinet seat etc). We thought breaking up the journey halfway at Doha would be good, but on reflection it was more difficult as our toddler was fast asleep both times. When we go to Asia again we'll consider a shorter and longer leg i.e. fly via Amsterdam.
Enjoy your trip, we found the flights to be fine with our kids, not the nightmare everyone told us to expect!

Creamycoolerwithcream Mon 03-Mar-14 15:44:54

I've booked Thomson Dreamliner direct to Phuket as keen to make the journey as short as possible. My DC are teens now so we just veg out, watch films, sleep, play on electronic gadgets etc.

StrawberryMojito Mon 03-Mar-14 15:51:27

Emirates was great for us. Reasonable price, comfortable plane, good service/food/drink etc.

bigTillyMint Sun 09-Mar-14 20:37:43

We flew with Eva air. DC are teens and so need space (seats were pretty comfortable) and good films. Food was fine and the trip was 12 hours, no stopovers. All goodsmile

BB01 Sun 13-Apr-14 16:46:18

Etihad and Emirates both pretty good

crutchlow35 Sun 13-Apr-14 19:46:12

Thai airways are good. Never had an issue with them before and it will be direct. No point in stopping off if you don't have to.

dontyouknow Fri 25-Apr-14 14:54:38

Emirates are really good with children. We also like them as we can go from Gatwick which is much more convenient for us than Heathrow.

I generally look mainly at prices. We got a great deal with Jet airways a few years ago to Thailand, via Mumbai. Other than the very spicy children's meal they were pretty good.

singaporefling Fri 25-Apr-14 15:36:07

Agree EMIRATES all the way!

I would consider flying there without actually doing any stopovers. Doing that just adds more hours to an already long journey and its still some considerable distance between the Middle East and the Far East.

Regardless of the carrier you use, do not rely on the airline to fully provide re your child's needs. Take enough of the foodstuffs that he likes for the duration of the flight. If you can bring along some inflight entertainment for him then do this as well.

truelymadlysleepy Fri 25-Apr-14 17:13:38

I've just booked flights from LHR to BK. Thai were loads cheaper than BA this summer.
We always try & avoid a stop over, whenever we've done it we've ended up hanging around for 3 hours in the middle of the night. We just want to arrive at our destination.

Longdistance Fri 25-Apr-14 17:16:20

We flew with Thai. I can highly recommend them. Very good with families with small children.

mummytoo Fri 25-Apr-14 18:19:25

Thanks for all your help...

We are back and for anyone else considering this my advice would be that extra seat does give you more space for playing..but mine wouldn't sit in it! We were really lucky as on 1 leg going and coming back plane was pretty empty. We also shoved my 91st percentile height ds in the bassinet. We had to argue a bit to get it though..luckily language barrier helped. On the crowded flights the lack of seat was more of an issue. Have to say though that I am not planning on flying again for a LONG while!!

mummytoo Fri 25-Apr-14 18:20:30

Oops jet lag posted in wrong section!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now