New York New York

(15 Posts)
TwinkleTwinkleNeverwhere Sat 01-Mar-14 19:39:21

DP and I are planning a trip to New York in December. I have flights sorted so far but am overwhelmed with hotel choice - we have a budget of up to �200 a night - any suggestions/recommendations?

Also, what must see/do things are there? Anything that isn't worth doing or doesn't live up to the hype?

We're planning to see a show as well so any recommendations welcome!

thank you!

Electryone Sun 02-Mar-14 21:15:00

We are also going in December for 3 nights, we are staying here.

Weve been before but only for a day and a half, I can recommend Top of the Rock, you get a fab view of Empire State Building and NY itself! I don't have much experience but I gather all hotel rooms are fairly expensive in NY!

lessonsintightropes Tue 11-Mar-14 00:27:07

We booked with AirBnB as I really like staying in an apartment rather than a hotel, but not been yet (we are going October 2014). A one bed studio in East Village is costing us approx £100 per night, the more you spend, the nicer quality you get (ours does sleep up to five although it's just the two of us).

Best NYC thing I think is just walking about, and the Staten Island ferry for free. This time we'll do a day trip out of the city, probably to Connecticut as I've always wanted to see it. Brooklyn is meant to have the best bar scene around Williamsburg and Park Slope. Empire State Building is fun but expect lines, and only go on the day when the weather is good. Enjoy!

LittleBearPad Tue 11-Mar-14 00:28:47

Top of the Rock is better than the Empire State.

Central Park is lovely.

The Frick collection is wonderful, as is the Met.

No, not jealous at all grin

LittleBearPad Tue 11-Mar-14 00:30:14

Take a very warm hat, it's bitterly cold if it's windy.

Budgiegirlbob Tue 11-Mar-14 08:37:21

Lessons, I'm sorry to worry you, but please be very careful if you are renting an apartment in NY, it is illegal to rent out an apartment under NY law for less than 30 days in the majority of buildings. There is lots of info on Tripadvisor and other website on illegal apartment scams in NY.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but you should research it very carefully before booking. It's not the same as renting in a European city. Sorry, but people should know the risks.

LyndaCartersBigPants Tue 11-Mar-14 09:29:24

We did Empire State early in the morning to avoid the queues and went straight in. On your first morning you might find you're up early due to the time difference so it's a good time to go.

Be very careful lessonsintightropes. If you have not already paid then cancel. Apartment rentals in NYC are far different rules wise than in European cities and it is hard to accept being told no you cannot do this in this city.

Short term lets in NYC are actually illegal and agencies do not check the legality of listings or if they are what they say they are. There are so many scams and a lot of people have been conned or at the very least left with no accommodation at all. £100 a night for a one bed studio that sleeps up to five?. What research did you do beforehand?. Have you done a google search of the address to see if it actually exists?. I think you could well find that the "tenant" has no right whatsoever to be subletting at all.

lessonsintightropes Wed 12-Mar-14 23:18:51

Thanks Attilla and Budgie for the heads up, I hadn't seen this would be a problem at all until your posts.

I've now done some extensive research on the issue. Our host seems legit and the money has been sent and secured by AirBnB so if he turns out not to exist, we won't have lost the cash (but will be short of a place for a week) as they hold onto it for 24 hours after check in.

The rest of it looks complicated. I understand why NYC are minimising the potential for short term rentals and know about the current legal wrangles about handing over data to the authorities over there... terrible as it might sound, it looks, currently, that if our host isn't scamming us (i.e. does have an apartment to rent and is willing to do so for the price we have paid, and is worried enough about his AirBnB ratings, which he has a lot of, not to crap out on us) then out chances of being out on the street are slim. It also looks like (afaict) from internet searches that it's a building with only 4 units in it, one of which he lives in, so might not fall within the legal difficulties mentioned in the articles anyway.

The risk then is nice cheap apartment (it's really only fit for a couple, but you could shoehorn in other people, so the price looks right) with low risk of being evicted by the building supervisor vs expensive hotel with no risks of that kind, but with rubbish facilities.

Knowing the risks, I think we are willing to take it on the chin, especially having read a lot of testimonals of others who have been fine, and none from people who have fallen foul of it. More problematic is the moral element of people using AirBnB when they should be renting out the space to New Yorkers (the reasoning behind the bill) but harsh as it may sound, living in another global city (i.e. London) where all house prices have been driven out of affordability by a range of overseas unregulated buyers, feel that I've already taken the karmic sting on this one, and that our week in East Village is just not that big a deal in the long term.

Roseandmabelshouse Wed 12-Mar-14 23:27:24

We have successfully airbnb'd in NYC. It was fab. It was pretty much like living in carrie bradshaws apartment for half the cost of a standard hotel. I loved living like a local away from the tourist hot spots. As long as your hosts have good feedback don't worry about using airbnb.

Shimmyshimmy Mon 24-Mar-14 09:14:54

We are renting via airbnb - we are paying via credit card so if it's a scam we'll get a refund. The owner only gets paid after you have confirmed you are happy and it's a risk worth taking for us because we have the funds to make an emergency hotel booking it if needed, our dcs aren't small or inflexible and would see it all as part of the adventure of travelling. Just know what you might face, if you can live with the risks then go for it.

MrsJamin Tue 01-Apr-14 22:02:33

We did airbnb in nyc too, would do it again. So much cheaper and more private.

Lighthousekeeping Tue 01-Apr-14 22:06:37

I wouldn't stay anywhere else. It's about £220 a night but includes a fantastic breakfast and coffee and cake all day! Fab location too.

www.chelseapinesinn.com

Grannylipstick Fri 11-Apr-14 12:53:47

Google Hotwire. It's like secret hotels, so you pick the rating you want and they pick the hotel. I've just done it and for my hotel about £100 cheaper a night. Worth a look!

MacCallum Tue 29-Apr-14 10:39:34

Recommend using www.globalgreeters.com where you can be allocated a Big Apple Greeter ie a New Yorker who volunteers to give you 2-4 hours to show you around. We did it last Sunday and had a wonderful 6 hours with Ettagale Blauer who was marvellous and so informative so go for it - we saw and did loads more as a result!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now