California Holiday - advice needed!

(12 Posts)
leo1978 Thu 20-Feb-14 10:15:16

Hi there

Flying to LA in August - aim is to spend a few days somewhere and then drive down to see family in San Diego. Will have 2yo and 7yo with us. I would like to do the Big Sur loop in 3 days with 2 nights on the coast there - is this possible? And then drive down to San Diego? Too ambitious?

Has anyone done similar?

How long will you be spending in CA?. Its a truly vast state and you really do not want to be spending more time than you need to behind a steering wheel.

What would you like to see on the Big Sur loop?.

Driving from say Monterey to San Diego is about 440 miles (that's further than driving from London to Edinburgh). Personally I would just head south down towards San Diego after spending a few days in say the Anaheim area of LA as that area is family friendly.

leo1978 Thu 20-Feb-14 15:23:00

Thanks for the reply! Yes, it is a long way. I'm getting irritated with LA hotels - Santa Monica seems ridiculously expensive! Is Anaheim ok for getting into LA and seeing the sights?

clam Thu 20-Feb-14 16:16:41

We stayed in a charming little place called Apple Farm in San Luis Obispo, north of Malibu. Great for a pit-stop.

leo1978 Thu 20-Feb-14 20:26:59

Thanks! Checking it out now!

Pitmountainpony Mon 24-Feb-14 04:57:14

Honestly even though the big sur is beautiful you will be so pressed for time. Instead I would just take your time down to San Diego....stay in Anaheim and drive into La as you will get better value hotels....I assume you will do Disney. Got g down to sd you could stop in San Clemente or crystal cove.....have quality time rather than behind wheel. Big sur great but not if you just drive up and back down. Inland and road back south is dull. Laguna beach also a lovely stop. Do the coastal route to San Diego.
Vrbo is good for rentals as is groupon for deals...but you have to do nearer the time. August is peak season of course. Great weather though.
La jolla is also sweet with seals on beaches and nice vibe.

LettertoHermioneGranger Mon 24-Feb-14 05:28:56

I'm a local! As posters have said, Big Sur is a trip on its own, don't try to combine it with LA/San Diego. Anaheim is good, especially if you're doing Disney, but it's about an hour drive to Los Angeles, if you're into the sights/shopping there. What kinds of things are you hoping to see? I won't recommend LA Zoo/Griffith Park if you're doing the San Diego Zoo, which is great, but they're fun if you were only in LA. The California Science Center is a ton of fun for kids, in LA, it's hands-on, 7yo is the perfect age to do all the things there but toddlers have a blast too. And it's actually free. Santa Monica Beach/Pier is probably the best beach for families, it is very crowded though. You don't have to stay in the city of Santa Monica - Hermosa, Manhattan, Venice, are all nearby and you can probably find a better hotel deal.

It will be hot, especially for the little one, pack the floppy hats, sunglasses, and sunblock.

I'm a local too - I'd get an AirBnB instead and stay in one of the beach communities or Venice or anywhere west of the 405

Then head down to SD

frenchfancy Tue 25-Feb-14 15:10:20

Thanks for the science center idea, I've just added it to my list of things to do.

leo1978 Tue 25-Feb-14 21:54:49

Thanks so much everyone. I reckon a few nights in Santa Monica chilling at great expense then. Feel nervous about air bandb and also don;t want to do the washing up! Deffo into spending a couple of days in LA seeeing the sights and the drama! Have been before and love it but stayed at The Standard on sunset and had no kids - life v different! I think we'll head on down to SD and then back up via Crystal Cove and then final couple of nights in Disney - thanks so much for the suggestions. I love La Jolla. I once got pooed on by a pelican there.

Pitmountainpony Mon 03-Mar-14 05:22:16

Oh I you like hotels groupon or living social all the way or priceline where you name your price.

Homebird11 Tue 04-Mar-14 20:30:15

Try homeaway, we booked a villa near Santa Monica through the site and it great as we had more space than a hotel room and a short walk to the beach.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now