Yosemite

(20 Posts)
Fancyashandy Fri 31-Jan-14 21:18:08

Would like to spend a few days there (have a romantic idea but don't really know much about it) when we go to California in August. Anyone been and where did you stay and what did you do there.

Is it really worth going to given it's a four hour or so drive from SF or Carmel.

RudyMentary Fri 31-Jan-14 21:19:26

Definitely worth going - don't miss it!

I wasn't going but someone have me that advice and they were absolutely right!

fedupandfifty Fri 31-Jan-14 21:25:51

I've been, but as part of a general trip around California. It was stunning, as I recall, but we didn't spend much time there. There's so much to see in California. I recall the drive from the park to the coast as being stunning in itself, so worth the trip just for that.

envy

TarkaTheOtter Fri 31-Jan-14 21:32:31

Yes! I'm going at Easter hopefully for a second time. You'll need to be on the ball booking accomodation in August though as it will book up very quickly.

Also, although normally not my cup of tea we really enjoyed a ranger guided walk. So I would recommend that.

BeckAndCall Sat 01-Feb-14 16:24:37

Yes we were there a few years ago in August.

Don't underestimate the size of the park itself and the distances between the different gates.

We styled in a rented cabin ( redwoods I think it was called) near the gate that's nearest Wawona and it was about 2 hours drive from the main valley. Absolutely fabulous and we walked down to the river from there and swam in it - but if you have lots of activities planned in the valley, you may want to be closer in. But if you want to get away from it all and relax then where we stayed was perfect.

Uptheanty Sat 01-Feb-14 16:27:59

It's really difficult to secure accommodation - if you're going book now!

It is fantastic!

Fancyashandy Sat 01-Feb-14 16:39:19

Driving myself crazy looking for accommodation. All the in park hotels seem to be booked and are probably quite pricey too. Some ski resort lodge hotels at Mammoth which look good and decent price. Looking at the little towns just outside like Mariposa now.

clam Sat 01-Feb-14 16:46:36

We stayed at Evergreen Lodge. Lovely.
We also went to Mammoth, but it's a hell of a drive along the Tioga Pass to get to/from and, depending on the time of year you're going, the pass is closed for around 6 months anyway, meaning a detour of hundred of miles!
I think Yosemite is about the size of Derbyshire!

RudyMentary Sat 01-Feb-14 16:53:59

We stayed at the Best Western Yosemite Gateway Inn at Oakhhurst.
It's about 15 miles from the entrance and was sooo much cheaper than staying in the park.

You can book and cancel up until the day of arrival so if you change your mind or find last minute accommodation inside the park you can change it.

BadlyInNeedOfSomeHelp Sat 01-Feb-14 16:59:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sergeantmajor Thu 06-Feb-14 11:44:08

Best holiday I ever had - albeit over 30 years ago! I remember every minute!

mrswobblebottom Sun 09-Feb-14 22:09:59

We stayed for 2 nights in this house in Midpines Mariposa. Felt like it was a very quick stop there, with only one full day in the park but a nice base.
We were on our family trip to California, starting in San Francisco, Yosemite, Monterey and down to LA. Glad we stopped and saw Yosemite, amazing sights. Booked on to the valley floor tour which was well worth doing to understand what we were looking at.

http://www.vrbo.com/388804#comments

charitygirl Sun 09-Feb-14 22:13:14

It's unmissably brilliant - I've been in good weather and bad. Stayed in the wood cabins in Curry Village - basic but cosy. With kids I might book one of the hotels .

Only1scoop Sun 09-Feb-14 22:15:46

Yosemite is amazing
<a few moments of covering eyes on those roads though> and I'm not a scardy cat....

Only1scoop Sun 09-Feb-14 22:18:27

Stayed in Best Western at Oakhurst....all we could get as everywhere was booked out.
Having just drove from Furnace Creek the temperature was very welcomed....

homebythesea Tue 11-Feb-14 13:10:50

Yosemite View Lodge is only 20 mins from the gates and has a pool - not terribly pretty but as close as you will get to the Park proper

Bunbaker Tue 11-Feb-14 20:02:13

We couldn't get anywhere in Yosemite either and ended up in the Best Western in Mariposa. It is beautiful and worth going to. We were on a drive around California holiday though and had planned our route.

RedNats5 Fri 14-Feb-14 06:31:22

Without doubt the most beautiful place I have ever been to. We went in august for 3 nights and looked it. We managed to get the lodge at the falls and whilst quite basic the location was just amazing

Its0kToBeMe Fri 14-Feb-14 07:12:47

I have lots of family there. Try, if you have time to visit the Redwoods. Stunning place.

brooncoo Tue 18-Feb-14 00:21:32

We are staying at an inn in Oakhurst. Would loved to have stayed in the park but everything seems to be booked out. One accommodation can be canx farly last minute - wonder if a lot of cancelling and rebooking goes on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now