Is it hot in cancun in February?

(12 Posts)
sidsgranny Thu 21-Nov-13 22:25:10

Just about to book but reading mixed reviews weather wise. Anyone been in feb and if so what was the weather like?

nancy75 Thu 21-Nov-13 22:27:18

yes, many years ago.it was boiling and we had about 2 days of rain in a month. I wasn't in Cancun but close enough to have the same weather.

sidsgranny Thu 21-Nov-13 22:28:40

Oh thanks, feel a bit relieved now. We're looking at playacar/puerto del Carmen.

EagleRay Thu 21-Nov-13 22:31:14

this is a really informative guide to the weather in Cancun. It's warm all year round but you just want to make sure you don't visit in the rainy season!

Am envious - we flew there 18 months ago then travelled around the Belizean cayes - it was heaven!

Spongebobbigpants Fri 22-Nov-13 12:25:03

Playacar is gorgeous sidsgranny, I'm just back from there

sidsgranny Fri 22-Nov-13 13:36:25

OOh, thanks SpongeBob! Where did you stay?

Spongebobbigpants Fri 22-Nov-13 16:33:22

We stayed at the Iberostar Tucan/Quetzal, our 4th visit- we love it!

sidsgranny Fri 22-Nov-13 16:49:59

We're trying to decide between there and the Riu Yucatan!! Think the Iberostar will win - seems to be a bit more to do, especially with a 7 year old! Can I ask, did you go with children? Thank you so much - I think you've made my mind up!! smile

Spongebobbigpants Fri 22-Nov-13 17:01:05

We went with 7 yr old ds and 1 year old ds- it is absolutely fantastic for families, the staff are wonderful and so friendly. I think the yucatan has just been renovated and is meant to be very sleek and modern whereas the tucan has a more mexican feel to it. It is set amidst a jungle and there are loads of animals roaming about. There are loads of activities all through the day and the entertainment at night is pretty good considering it's the hotel staff who put on the majority of the shows. The hotel is set right on the beach so it's easy to go between the pool and the beach depending what your preference is. Everyone has different likes and all I can go on is my experience of it but I would definitely recommend it. There are loads of videos on youtube which show you all round the resort which you might find useful but any more questions I'd be delighted to answer for you smile

sidsgranny Fri 22-Nov-13 17:13:38

Thanks SpongeBob! Our DS is 7 so sounds like it'd be perfect, seems like there's quite a bit to do. Silly question, but did you have 2 double beds? Don't really want him on a sofa bed for 2 weeks! Did you fly with Thomson on the Dreamliner? Sorry for more questions.

The Yucatan does look very sleek - the reception area is bright pink and black! I'd quite like that if I was in a UK City but I think I do like the idea of the Mexican feel!

My only reservation is weather - read a few things last night that said average Feb temp is only 68. Really want 80! But I guess you can't really predict the weather anywhere.

CreamyCooler Fri 22-Nov-13 19:54:57

I stayed on the Pacific side of Mexico a couple of Feb half terms ago and the weather was lovely. Definetely sun bathing weather but not too sweltering for sightseeing. Id say it was 80. I'm not sure how much variation between the two sides.

Spongebobbigpants Fri 22-Nov-13 20:15:12

There's 2 double beds and a sofa bed. No, we didn't go on the dreamliner and I'll tell you why- the Iberostar Tucan/Quetzal is advertised as 2 separate hotels by different tour operators, the tucan side is offered by Thompsons but the quetzal side is advertised by Thomas Cook. Effectively it is the same hotel though. There is a separate reception/check in for each side but everything else is shared; the restaurants, the theatre, the pool. I think the reason for this was at the time the hotel was built they were only allowed to build 350 rooms so what they did was build 2 lots of 350 rooms and name it 2 separate hotel names (hope that makes sense) as I say everything is shared but for some reason going to the Quetzal side with Thomas cook was £1000 cheaper than booking the Tucan side with Thompsons. We did speak to people who travelled on the dreamliner and said it was fantastic but TC flight was fine and definately worth saving the £1000 smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now