Florida aug 2014. Disney + where? Miami?

(26 Posts)

Hi

Next year we are planning a big holiday with DSs 9 and 7. After a week of Disney, we want to have a few days in a nice hotel with fun pools near good restaurants. We are thinking Miami, but is this the best option?

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions re hotels?

Thanks!

ihatethecold Wed 01-Jan-14 14:01:09

i love the gulf coast.
i stayed at the marriot on sand key, Hilton in clear water and sunset vistas on treasure island, just down the coast.

sunset vistas was fantastic because we got a 2 bedroomed condo with a balcony over the beach.
st johns pass is nearby for a bit of entertainment.

would go back in a heartbeat.

Rufustherednosedreindeer Mon 30-Dec-13 22:10:05

Never been to Clearwater but my friends have and they absolutely loved it

triplets Mon 23-Dec-13 23:10:39

We did 10 days in Orlando then an easy 2 hour drive to Anna Maria Island where we rented a cottage on the beach.............absolutely fab! My trio were 7 at the time and they loved it, best part too is there is a wooden trolley which runs round the island day and night, just pick it up at the end of the road, it used to be free. Great for the evening going out to eat, no worries about driving!

SconeRhymesWithGone Mon 18-Nov-13 14:28:16

Ah yes, Kings Bay. smile I grew up in that area of Georgia, which also has some lovely and culturally rich coastal areas (Saint Simons Island), but a bit too far from Orlando for you.

Ah yes...Jacksonville...remember it well. DH was there for a while. There is a big submarine base just inside Georgia.

Thanks for the advice.

SorrelForbes Mon 18-Nov-13 13:44:01

It's always worth asking. There's a place in Disney itself called Shades of Green where military personnel can buy discounted tickets. I'm sure it extends to Veterans.

SconeRhymesWithGone Mon 18-Nov-13 13:37:19

You might also want to consider Northeast Florida, especially St. Augustine-Ponte Vedra-Jacksonville area, lovely beaches, historic city.

Also, the area has a large Naval presence (many retired US Navy people) because of several nearby Naval bases. You should definitely check on discounts (not just in this area, but anywhere in Florida. Ask if they have any veterans' discounts.)

Ponte Vedra Inn

Even for retired service personnel? (We both are ex Navy)

SorrelForbes Fri 15-Nov-13 14:27:09

Worth asking for a military discount (everywhere!).

Wow. I just had a look. It does look amazing. You may have solved the problem!! Thanks very much for the suggestions. x

SorrelForbes Thu 14-Nov-13 21:36:45

The Sandpearl is a beautiful hotel

AngieM2 Thu 14-Nov-13 21:29:34

Hi there, we had this dilemma last year and had booked Miami as our second centre (fountainbleu hotel). However, after much deliberation and friends telling us that Miami was a bit 'adult' we changed to Clearwater. Easy transfer from Orlando and amazing beach ( stayed at the Sandpearl)

Chopstheduck Thu 14-Nov-13 15:08:10

Fort Lauderdale.

Miami really is overated, as is the keys. I was very disappointed and didn't think it was worth the drive.

Bear in mind that internal flights within the US are not as reasonably priced as they once were. Also many airlines do and will charge you if more than one bag is placed in the hold so it can all add up in terms of cost.

Thanks for all these suggestions...

Homework - we are actually going to start off with 4 nights in NY, and then fly down to Florida, and probably back from Miami to UK (this could be changed).

I will look at all the suggestions above (THANKS ALL!) and see what might work best. Shorter drive from Orlando would be good, but most important is staying somewhere nice with enough stuff to keep boys happy, and enough nice restaurants / atmosphere for us!

I think Clearwater and Fort Lauderdale and Busch Gardens are top of the list...but open to more suggestions! Especially for any good hotels with fun swimming pools...

homework Wed 13-Nov-13 08:10:40

Why don't you do a mix with a week in another America City first maybe New York , or Washington , or even Hawaii if you want the beach .lots of companies do two centre holidays , so you can do stop off depending on who you fly with .

Budgiegirlbob Wed 13-Nov-13 00:48:05

I'd second Fort Lauderdale, good beaches and restaurants, can do a day trip to Miami, Everglades etc.

Or try the West Coast, we did a few days in Orlando, one night near Busch Gardens,then drove down to Fort Myers, which was lovely. Lots to see and do with the kids in the area, as well as the beach, pools etc.

We flew home from Miami, so on our last day we drove across the Everglades, stopping for an airboat ride, then onto South Beach for the afternoon and dinner, before heading back to Miami airport. It was our favourite day of the whole holiday!

newfavouritething Tue 12-Nov-13 22:47:53

There is a lot to do in Orlando, but there is so much more to Florida than Orlando.

Plentyto do in and around Orlando. Busch gardens is lovely as lots to do other than rides. We had that included in our sea world passes.
The water parks take at least a day each as well. Lots of activities on international drive to see and do. Welso had a trip to the eveglades and went on one if those fan boats to go gator and wildlife spotting.

We've been for at least two weeks each year for ladt three years and still tonnes to do in Orlando.

newfavouritething Tue 12-Nov-13 21:49:25

Fort Lauderdale is good - not too touristy and some nice beaches. Close to the everglades and can pop down to the Keys for a day or two.

SorrelForbes Tue 12-Nov-13 14:40:25

Another vote for Clearwater

CreamyCooler Tue 12-Nov-13 14:35:54

A cruise to the Bahamas or Caribbean.

Thanks all. Any other suggestions?

milkjetmum Mon 11-Nov-13 07:45:44

Miami is a long drive from Orlando (5hr?). I would try Tampa (makes Busch gardens an option) or Daytona (racing fans?)

I would look at beach resorts on the Gulf Coast that are nearer to Orlando than Miami (which is about 4 hours travel time away by car) like St Petes and or Clearwater.

Miami is a nice city but I would not stay in for instance the South Beach area with children (too noisy for a start).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now