Victoria Falls and safari , tips on what to take

(15 Posts)
outtolunchagain Tue 29-Oct-13 10:34:40

We are staying with relatives in December and doing the above plus also spending time with family.Have had lots of tips from them but they have lived there for a long time so I am sure some of our questions seem a bit bizarreblush

Youngest child is 12 and oldest 18 so not little , does anyone have any tips on essentials to pack which we might have forgotten.Plus what do people wear when game viewing especially footwear, will trainers be Ok or will we need something more sturdy be necessary

Any recommendations on insect repellent etc

nannyafrica Tue 29-Oct-13 11:57:54

For safaris wear natural colours not white and dark blue (tsetse fly love blue) , take a fleece for early mornings and night drives (will you be going to South Luangwa National Parkif you are on the Zam side? my fav)
Trainers are fine in safari vehicles but boots needed if on walking all other times I wear flip flops.
The best insect repellent I find that works is over there in the supermarkets called Peaceful Sleep.
December is the rainy season so waterproof jacket.

FreckledLeopard Tue 29-Oct-13 12:01:55

If you're staying in Zimbabwe (in Vic Falls), make sure you take all essentials as when I was out there (2 years ago) you couldn't get anything useful in the supermarkets for love nor money (appalling range of goods in stock, the Zimbabwean dollar was worthless, no shops would take anything other than SA Rand or USD and when I realised I'd run out of suncream, the only thing I could buy was a strange, hybrid, insect repellant sunscreen that cost 30 USD).

I'd definitely make sure you have lots of insect repellant as sometimes the mosquito nets have holes in them (in the hotels). Maybe take your own mosquite nets too.

nannyafrica Tue 29-Oct-13 13:11:58

If on the Zim side they take USA dollars but take loads of small notes $1+$5's, Pula is also useful and £'s. If on the Zam side everything has to be paid in local currency so change £'s when there (safari accommodation etc) you could pay in $ and £ but they have stopped that now.
If you are going Zim side you could get a double entry visa so that you can nip over the bridge to Livingston (you will also have to get visa for Zam)

outtolunchagain Tue 29-Oct-13 13:20:17

Nanny yes we are going to South Luangwa , very excited , interesting about the blue, didn't know that. Will be staying on the Zam side of Victoria Falls

I was wondering about taking old trainers as well because presumably if we do water based activities in Livingstone we will need footwear .

All so exciting think we are having a bit of a panicky moment!

Iheartcrunchiebars Tue 29-Oct-13 13:20:44

A really good camera. My camera was alright but I wish I'd just invested in a good one so I had amazing photos to remember.

nannyafrica Tue 29-Oct-13 15:29:22

do you know where you are staying in South Luangwa as its the rainy season lots of the lodges are closed. My friends own one that stays open its on the river but they have chalets on stilts. it is just outside the gate but there are elephants and hippos in the camp most days and in the green season it around £95 full board with 2 game drives. PM me if you would like details.
if the weather is good my favorite thing to do at vic falls is the microlight flight over the falls and afternoon tea at the Royal Livingston Hotel.
Are you flying into Liv or Lusaka? the supermarkets in Lusaka have everything you would need. how are you getting to South Luangwa? flights or the long drive!.
For activities in Livingston Saf- Par are the biggest company they are based at the Water Front Hotel.

Still18atheart Tue 29-Oct-13 15:33:02

Went to Zam about 5 years ago. I can't think of any tips off the top of my head but will have a think and get back to you.

C0smos Tue 29-Oct-13 15:37:00

Binoculars for game drives are a must

nannyafrica Tue 29-Oct-13 15:45:46

forgot to say be careful about taking medicines with you, Zambia has banned med's that you cannot take in to the country, a friend of ours was arrested for having Nytol in his bag which he took to help he sleep on the plane.

outtolunchagain Tue 29-Oct-13 17:28:19

Nanny that sounds like it could be the one ,we are staying at Nkwali, my relatives have lived in Zam for about 14 years, so they have taken charge of all bookings ! Especially due to the time of year.

I know they will make sure it all runs smoothly but I thought I would get some perspectives from UK residents on what to take from a UK perspective .I feel like all I do is ask stupid questions!

outtolunchagain Tue 29-Oct-13 18:37:16

I have also heard that Benedryl is not allowed , I need to find a different anti histamine as one member of the family needs to take them daily.One of my children is also ola prescription medicine which is problematical but we have been assured that as long as it is in original packaging with prescription we should be OK

outtolunchagain Sun 03-Nov-13 09:30:51

Hi just resurrecting the thread again as such good advice before, what do people wear if doing activities in Livingstone.Should we take wet footgear ; sandals etc or easy dry trainers?Clueless here , don't want to take too much but equally wanting to have the right stuff if you see what I mean

DreaduCated Sun 03-Nov-13 09:39:18

Not sure on footwear, we did most activities barefoot, I think!

BridgetJonesPants Fri 20-Dec-13 19:26:34

If you're going white water rafting you will need some kind of footware that won't fall off in the water & are comfy enough to walk up and down the gorge to get into / out of the Zambezi.

Enjoy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now