Holiday in Australia over Xmas - where to go?

(7 Posts)
taurusmum85 Sun 10-Nov-13 19:12:56

Hi I know I'm late to this post but just wanted to say I'm going to sydney too from the 26th of dec for two weeks with my son to see family. We went last Christmas too and had a fab time, there are loads of things to see around sydney we went to taronga zoo and visited the harbour a few times. The New Year's Eve fireworks are a must see too.

Have a wonderful time!!

mrspink27 Fri 18-Oct-13 19:47:22
specialsubject Fri 18-Oct-13 17:16:16

too hot (as in 'places it is insane to go at this time of year because if your car breaks down you might die'), too humid, heavy rain, closed roads, lots of stuff shut, bad tempered locals and no sea swimming (as you know)

BTW don't assume you can swim in the rivers either. Full of crocodiles.

LadyPenelope Fri 18-Oct-13 17:11:30

Thanks mrspink27 and specialsubject.

Ocean Road something I'd like to do one day - looks stunning but don't want a big road trip this time.

Off to google the other options. Also had a recommendation of Jervis Bay which has the great advantage of only being a few hours from Sydney.

SS - what do you mean by wrong time of year - too hot?

specialsubject Thu 17-Oct-13 22:00:31

it is really the wrong time of year for the northern half of Australia.

how about the area round Adelaide (which has a wonderful wildlife park, Cleland), and the beaches about an hour south. Or Tasmania - stay at Cradle Mountain, go outside at night and watch the place come alive with everything marsupial.

or the Halls Gap/Grampians area before it all goes mad for Xmas.

mrspink27 Thu 17-Oct-13 21:26:14

Ocean Road... via Canberra and Melbourne?

LadyPenelope Thu 17-Oct-13 13:41:37

Would be great to get some ideas from anyone who knows Australia.

We will be staying in Sydney with friends from 27th December to 4 Jan and we'll be doing day trips and excursions around Sydney.

We have a week before that for a family holiday which includes Xmas. Looking for relaxing and Australia experience - something for me, DH, DD (12) and DS (8) to enjoy and something that will be memorable and exciting.

Don't mind an internal flight and had thought we might go up to Cairns.

We've been to Port Douglas before and that's one option - like the raintree/barrier reef combo opportunity but I know that stingers will be a problem so beach swimming will be out.

Palm Cove an alternative, but I know nothing about it. (same issue with Stingers.)

Have just decided on this so need to get moving for accommodation. TIA

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now