Anyone been to Goa?

(8 Posts)
Grannylipstick Wed 23-Oct-13 21:22:18

Visited a few years ago with 2 girlfriends. We were all inclusive but to be honest we ate out most evenings as it was so cheap. We stayed at Bogmallo beach and really enjoyed it. Hotel was clean and comfortable and if you go with few expectations you won't be disappointed. We did all excursions ourselves. We all bought diamond jewellery when we were there from a back street jewellers. At least 3 times cheaper than England and all genuine.

happybubblebrain Wed 23-Oct-13 11:52:35

I love Goa and have been twice as part of tours of India. I went for Christmas and New Year 1999 and the second time I was there around March/April time and it was extremely hot.

There is no point booking hotels before you go as there are lots available when you get there and very cheap too. You will pay more if you book from this country. Plus it would probably be nice to move around and stay in a few different places, as you suggested.

Both times I mainly stayed in Little Vagator which has a great beach and is close to other places. I stayed mainly in small family guest houses.

Everyone is friendly, it is beautiful and very interesting, food and markets are great. I wish I was going again.

dontyouknow Wed 23-Oct-13 11:38:31

I love Goa! Having backpacked round much of India previously I was a bit worried Goa would be very "resorty" but was really pleased that it is still very much India.

For a cheap and cheerful hotel we have stayed at the Palmarinha near Calangute three times. Slightly inland but taxis always outside. Quite basic but clean and friendly, with 2 nice swimming pools.

I would not go all inclusive - we would get a taxi for a pound or two each night and go out somewhere different. It's so cheap to eat too.

I have only been with a much younger DD but think it would be great with teenagers too.

We went over Easter last year, in April. Things were starting to wind down for the season as we left. Be careful though - direct charter flights are easiest but some of them finish at the end of March. We were looking at going next year in the school Easter holiday but I think Thomas Cook flights end too early. I think Monarch were OK but it was a while ago I checked so could be wrong!

One thing with hotels - many of the small hotels seemed to have a pool at the front, on the road so everyone going past would see you in the pool and on the sunlounger. Might not bother you but I wouldn't have been too keen.

Heymacarena Mon 21-Oct-13 21:56:29

Isn't April monsoon season in Goa?

I have been, but it was in erm.... 1992! blimey.

We lived in a shed and washedin a bucket - so have no knowledge of any fancy hotels grin

loved it though- beautiful place, gorgeous beaches.

Dh has been to Goa a lot. He never books anything, just rocks up and get him self a cottage with a hammock for a couple of dollars per night.

He is very intrepid when riding his old Royal Enfield around India. grin

womblesmissus Mon 21-Oct-13 21:52:17

Should have said we have stayed at the holiday inn in Cavellosim and most recently rented a bungalow in a development called'luisa by the Sea' both brilliant.
I would say that even if you spend most of you time around a hotel , it really isn't like anywhere else in the world!

womblesmissus Mon 21-Oct-13 21:48:28

Goa is one of my favourite places in the world. Would never go all incl beach shacks and restaurants are fabulous and cheap . Only problem is that April might well be just out of season- beach shacks might be down by then.

Great food , great people and wonderful chilling out on fabulous beaches. We always stay in Cavellosim in the south - quieter than the north , but still accessible. Easy to hire a car with driver to go to historic sites -old Goa, Portuguese forts, markets etc .

Love Goa

whostolethesocks Thu 17-Oct-13 06:26:20

Looking at going next April maybe with children 15 and 12. Is it worth going all inc or is it cheap enough to look at other options? I'd like to see a bit and don't want to stay in a hotel and just be anywhere in the world. Any advice or hotels/where to stay etc?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now