Ideas for between Las Vegas and San Fran

(9 Posts)
HorsePetal Sun 29-Sep-13 14:07:48

We're off mid October, flying to San Fran then making our way down to LA then Grand Canyon and Las Vegas.

After Las Vegas we have 3 days left to get back to San Fran for flight home so looking for ideas a 3 day itinerary.

Thinking Death Valley, Tioga Pass or Yosemite.

Any ideas? Would Tioga pass be doable end October? There are 7 of us in a large car thingy that won't be 4 x 4?

specialsubject Sun 29-Sep-13 17:16:49

the Tioga pass seems to be either open or shut, no car type specified. You can't really plan ahead on this but see what happens when you get there.

a day in Yosemite would be a rush but you could certainly see the valley which is just as jaw dropping as they say.

I'd go for Death Valley as it is a bearable time to be there and again lots to see. I recall staying in a town called Beatty in Nevada which was about an hour from Furnace Creek.

I would certainly suggest you check out current conditions for Yosemite before you set off there. The website you would need is [www.nps.gov/yose/index.htm]].

HorsePetal Sun 29-Sep-13 20:05:08

Thank you smile

We've been keeping an eye on situation at Yosemite and I guess we won't know whether snow on Tioga Pass until we get there.

Just trying to come up with some ideas for back up plans. Maybe we should wait until we're in Vegas as better idea of weather and roads.

Love the sound of Death Valley, even if just for a brief stopover grin

dottygamekeeper Mon 30-Sep-13 22:15:02

We went to Death Valley last April but only had time to stop for one night, staying at Furnace Creek Ranch. It was fantastic, the landscape is fascinating, great pool at Furnace Creek and we just didn't have long enough to do all the things we wanted to, so would highly recommend it but allow at least 2 nights.

We drove down there from Mammoth, having driven up from LA, but if you were heading back to SF and the passes were open I'm sure it would be a great trip.

newfavouritething Mon 30-Sep-13 22:29:31

Erm look at the desert? It's not the most inspiring drive in the world, but try to get to Yosemite if you can. We missed Death Valley because it was too hot (July), but a day at Yosemite is a day well spent.

We flew into LA, drove to San Fransisco, then to Las Vegas (got married) and back to LA. Took about 4 weeks - it was fab. Wish we'd spent longer in San Fran, and had gone to Sacremento. Went to Alcatraz, the bridge, ate clam chowder etc etc. Vegas was good for a few nights, wasn't a fan of Palm Springs/LA. Loved Yosemite - was crazy being so hot, then into snow, and back into hot again. Grand Canyon was fab too.

We had much better holidays pre-kids!

SeashellHoarder Tue 01-Oct-13 13:32:40

I will second death valley over Yosemite. I found Yosemite to be very crowded and it really spoilt the experience.

Death valley is incredible and soo far removed from my normal (uk). I think if you can afford it furnace creek Ranch is the best place to stay as Beatty is an hours drive in to the main attractions. Food is pretty unhealthy there.

However there are now loads of reasonable places to stay in Beatty.

On the way in to the park from LV I suggest you go to scotty's castle.

There are some lovely hikes, and amazing views.

Have a great trip!

Yosemite National Park is currently closed due to the US shutdown which began at midnight.

HorsePetal Tue 01-Oct-13 18:52:26

Thanks Attilla, and the Grand Canyon I think - keeping everything crossed that all back to normal in next few weeks.

On a good note, the exchange rate is very much in our favour at the moment, good time to go and get some Dollars grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now