Month off in Feb with DCs 3 and 6mo. Where should we go?

(10 Posts)
DollyDaisy Tue 24-Sep-13 10:54:46

Due to a combination of maternity leave and redundancy, DH and I will both be off work for the whole of Feb 2014 and so have decided to escape the British winter and go somewhere warm with the children (DS 3 years and DD 6 months)

At the moment we are thinking Florida and splitting the trip into Orlando to do the parks (really for DH and I as the children are still so young grin) and then maybe the gulf coast - clearwater or Sarasota

Where else would people recommend? We obviously need a destination that's child friendly, good medical care just in case and ideally great beaches. I was also keen on Australia but can't face the flight

Thanks in advance

MortifiedAdams Tue 24-Sep-13 10:57:00

Yy to Florida!!

No need to consider anywhere else grin

mummymeister Wed 25-Sep-13 00:10:23

Florida keys/Islamorada was just fab when we visited. lots to see and do as well.

Shnickshnack Wed 25-Sep-13 08:57:26

Watching with interest. How about SA? I've heard that Bushbaby organise child friendly trips there.

Shnickshnack Wed 25-Sep-13 09:20:54

How about Goa? Friends who have been loved it.

TheArticFunky Wed 25-Sep-13 09:22:51

I would go to Thailand or Bali. I don't think Orlando would be very relaxing.

dontyouknow Wed 25-Sep-13 22:54:52

I don't think I'd do Florida parks with a 6 month old.

I have been to Goa a few times with a young child and would highly recommend it. Lots to do - seeing temples/elephants/crocodiles/dolphins/spice plantations and loads of beaches. Also really cheap compared to Florida. Never needed medical care but I would imagine the main city Panji has reasonable hospitals.

I have also been to Thailand, Sri Lanka and Malaysia with a young child and would recommend them all. Malaysia and Thailand should be fine medical wise if you are near a big city, probably not so much if you are on a small island.

How about going to Australia but breaking the flights so you have say a week in Thailand (bangkok and beach), then on to Australia and a few days in Singapore on the way back?

Australia is now very expensive for British visitors due to the poor exchange rate.

Florida would be fine if you did a two centre holiday; Orlando first couple of weeks then the Gulf Coast (St Petes is also nice) the second half.

Ensure that wherever you go you have decent (in terms of cover) medical health insurance. Have a good look at what is and is not included before you buy a policy. Do not just look at price alone.

kelly14 Thu 26-Sep-13 20:36:10

I am biased as lived in oz and went for a month in march/april this year and that cost us nearly 20 grand (GBP) for just under a month!!(3 adults and dd 8)
I would do America in a RV!!

glorious Sun 06-Oct-13 07:44:20

We're just back from Japan with our 8mo. It was surprisingly child friendly, people were so kind and thoughtful, e.g. providing toys and extra food in hotels and restaurants without being asked, lots of attention too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now