BA - swapping seats between travel companions - difficult?

(7 Posts)
maggiethecat Tue 17-Sep-13 23:57:31

Possible that travelling with mum soon - I may have business and she premium economy. Would it be difficult for us to swap seats since she would probably benefit more from having bed?
Do it discretely and hope no one notices or should I be up front and ask to swap?

alarkaspree Wed 18-Sep-13 00:05:36

I believe that officially you aren't allowed to swap from your assigned seat (because of identifying people in case of a crash, possibly?). But in practice nobody ever compares your id and boarding pass as you get on the plane so you could swap boarding passes after you go through the gate.

Equally, I can't imagine they would have a problem with swapping you over at check in so I would ask then. They might even upgrade your mum !

No, you are not allowed to swap seats like this. Crew can take a dim view of this practice.

Editededition Wed 18-Sep-13 08:48:36

Speak with the cabin crew as soon as possible after boarding.
Preferably not when a gazillion people are boarding behind you, so you hold up the queue.

Explain the situation, as politely as possible, and ask if they would be happy for you to let your Mum have the BC seat.
Usually, if they can accommodate the request, then they will. and the nicer, more polite, less entitled you are, the more likely they will be to try to go beyond the strict level of duty to assist They mostly all have mums too grin

Longdistance Wed 18-Sep-13 08:52:30

I used to let passengers swap seats. But, I was nice crew grin

Try speaking to the Cabin Services Director on your flight.

EastwickWitch Wed 18-Sep-13 12:44:57

I've done it several times. We travelled on air miles for DH & I but paid for DC & upgraded them. On the plane we gave them our seat numbers grin Cabin crew were fine about.
Oh & they're teens, not littlies.

preggersbycheggers Tue 24-Sep-13 22:38:21

It's not a problem to swap seats but has to be from take off to landing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now