New Zealand

(4 Posts)
angelinterceptor Wed 11-Sep-13 18:50:32

We went nearly 3 years ago with 2 DC (aged 10 and 6 at the time. Best family holiday ever.
Air NZ here too - and we stopped in Hong Kong on the way, but only for a few hours break as we didn't have spare time to 'waste' and eat into our NZ holiday.

JellyTopicecreamisthebest Wed 11-Sep-13 02:46:15

We did a 12hr stop in Singapore. Did the bus tour. We did very tired but didn't really have yet lag. We did have friends that picked us up from the airport, fed us and dropped us at accommodation. I have since realized I can't remember the rd near the airport.
Lots to do at the airport as well as a bus tour of Singapore.
Try and buy snacks at Singapore that your dc will eat and make sure you eat before you get back on the flight. we found the food from Singapore not as child friendly.

juniperinNZ Wed 11-Sep-13 02:09:33

Hi, we flew long haul for the first time when we emigrated here, had a 1 year old, 3 year old and me 27 weeks pregnant (yes I was mad! grin ), so I think with the age of your DC you should be fine smile.
We flew Air NZ, which we found really good, friendly and great with our kids. We went with the sky couches as we had such little ones, which turned into a sort of bed/playarea which worked well for us, but with the age of your DC probably isn't necessary, plus if the people in front recline their seats you get squashed! I've also heard from friends and relatives that have done the flight that Singapore Airlines are brilliant.

We went all the way in one go, with just a 2 hour stop off in LA as we just wanted to get it over and done with grin but if they'd been older I would have wanted to stop somewhere on the way. My eldest DC is 5 now and I think she would enjoy stopping and seeing somewhere. Singapore is a popular stop off, the airport there is supposed to be fantastic, with a swimming pool, play areas etc, and my mum did a tour of the city whilst she was there. I know Hong Kong is another popular stop off, and there is a Disneyland there apparently...

As for the flight itself, the TV's on each seat show loads of movies, kids programmes, have games etc on them, which should keep them entertained for a good while. We took a portable DVD player on too with some of the kids' favourite shows in case they didn't watch the airplane TVs (which they didn't...) and lots of books, stickers, colouring etc. My DD liked walking up and down to get the free snacks!

Whereabouts in New Zealand are you headed? It should still be pretty nice weather here in April smile

MarmMummy Tue 10-Sep-13 21:28:26

Hoping to fly out in April to see friends. Two adults and DC will be 7 and 5. Any tips? Best airline to fly with? Long haul is very much out of our comfort zone so all advice would be helpful! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now