eleven hour plane journey with a two year old- help

(26 Posts)
whatareyoueventalkingabout Tue 03-Sep-13 20:31:26

first proper post on mumsnet. looking for advice on travelling long haul with a toddler? Can you help?

Yonihadtoask Tue 03-Sep-13 20:36:27

Umm just go prepared.

Are you travelling alone with the 2 yo or taking DP?

I took my DS to the USA to visit famiy when he was 2.10. I thought/hoped he would sleep for most of the flight. He didn't sleep a wink. Not one, despite being an excellent sleeper at home, including afternoon naps.

I took a bag with various crappy little toys which could be lost/left behind. I took some books too. This was before I pads etc but I think that could be useful for you?

Take snacks too, rather than waiting for the food trolley. And buy some drinks once past security.

Also pack spare clothes (for you and DC) just in case of spillage/vomiting/nappy disasters.

whatareyoueventalkingabout Tue 03-Sep-13 20:39:08

with you oh the crappy little toys, have saved everything from kids party bags we have been to, and am going to pack snacks etc, but I suppose advice on sleep is more what I am looking for, mine is good sleeper but I suspect will be too excited about what's going on. did yours just want to walk up and down the aisle?

thank you for replying!

Yonihadtoask Tue 03-Sep-13 21:09:24

It is a long time ago now - 2000 - so it's all a distant memory really. But no, we took a couple of walks up and down the plane - to the loo of course and to look around. But he was quite happy to sit.

I just wish I could have encouraged sleep. I wanted to sleep - I was really tired but it just didn't happen. Of course when we arrived and he got into the car he was out like a light!

Jollyb Tue 03-Sep-13 21:26:20

iPad iPad iPad

mummymeister Wed 04-Sep-13 08:54:44

if you can pay for him to have his own seat not share with you. if you have saved the little toys also get some bigger things out of charity shops. wrap in Christmas paper and let him have one every hour. we made a big thing of putting hands in the bag to choose trying to guess what it was opening it etc etc. saved paper to do the same thing on the way back.

jollyjester Wed 04-Sep-13 14:36:32

Watching this thread with interest as I am about to do the same expect its 12.5hr & 8hr flight with a 2yo and DH and PIL!

PIL are not easy people, very critical of my parenting to DD so I was consisdering Rescue Remedy for Kids as 2yo DD is a big buddle of unstoppable energy!!

Anyone tried Resume Remedy for children? Ipad is a must for us and I have some of her favorite movies already downloaded.

Its going to be hell isn't it?! sad

whatareyoueventalkingabout Wed 04-Sep-13 17:16:58

I would give rescue remedy to your PIL....
Great idea about wrapping things and making a big deal of him picking one but I can just see him throwing a fit when not allowed to have another.... Will definitely try that though x

mummymeister Thu 05-Sep-13 10:50:15

OP you will be surprised at how much they enjoy this. we set the alarm on the phone to beep when the next one was due as well. if you are worried about how it will go you could trial it at home first. get some of his familiar toys in a bag and get him to pick one unwrapped or guess what it is in the bag first. sure he will be fine hope you have a great time.

whatareyoueventalkingabout Thu 05-Sep-13 19:26:20

I am very new to mumsnet. Is OP me? Alarm is a brilliant idea x

MortifiedAdams Thu 05-Sep-13 19:29:39

If you are travelling with a partner, do.shifts. 2.5hrs on duty then swap.

watchingout Thu 05-Sep-13 19:54:42

I have seen on t'internet an amusing story of an "apology in advance" handed out to passengers by parents of toddler twins. With placating sweets as a gift grin

Yonihadtoask Thu 05-Sep-13 20:00:07

Some good tips for you OP.

OP means 'original poster' (I think)

However, despite my trip being such a long time ago, I don't recall it being that bad.

There was no running around, or naughtiness.

Enjoy the trip, it'll be fine.

whatareyoueventalkingabout Thu 05-Sep-13 22:41:15

ooh there are good tips! Thanks everyone! Have located some easy to rip wrapping paper and am picking up small toys from the floor in every room to wrap up.

nosleeptilever Thu 05-Sep-13 22:59:10

we just got home from a 9 hr flight. I second all the advice before, new toys are key.
We neglected to prepare anything for ourselves because we were so focused on ds. Bring snacks and drinks for yourself too. We were ravenous and incredibly grumpy when we landed because airlines only provide just enough food to keep you alive.
good luck.

ladygoingGaga Thu 05-Sep-13 23:11:08

I did a flight to and from Florida on my own with my 2 year old DS. I was dreading it, but actually it was not that bad, on the way out, during the day he didn't sleep at all, I took some new toys, little cars with trailers, that he could play on the pull down trays with.
I second little snacks, those little bags of fruit jelly things.

On the way back I hoped for peace as it was a night flight and when he nodded off just after take off I thought hallelujah. Alas the trolley woke him up 30 mins into the flight, and he then stayed up all night. However he was utterly zoned out watching kids movies on the TV in the back of the seat.
The little sod then fell sound asleep just as we landed at 6am, leaving me to carry him all through passport control, customs etc.

My one tip would be to see if ou can book assistance on landing, as if your DC is asleep it will really help, plus up you get to whizz through on a golf buggy that goes beep beep beep to the front of all the queues grin

whatareyoueventalkingabout Thu 05-Sep-13 23:19:59

nosleeptil who did you fly with? thank you so much for pointing that out, I haven't thought for a second about what I will do to entertain myself. Lady gaga did he have his own seat and sit without trying to get out?

Taz1212 Sat 07-Sep-13 09:19:40

Baby wipes and snacks! We flew to Orlando with DD the week before she turned two. On the way back she was wide awake all night and only fell asleep when we started to come down to land. confused She spent the whole flight taking a baby wipe and cleaning everything she could reach. Then she'd have a little snack and start the whole cleaning process again. Hours and hours of entertainment! confused

kohl Sat 07-Sep-13 09:29:53

Did 10 hours with a 21m, was terrified beforehand, was totally fine (if a little tedious at times...) Stickers stickers and more stickers, and definitely yes to the little presents. A few cheap playmobil/little people from eBay provided lots of entertainment, and plenty of individually wrapped snacks.
You'll be fine!

mummymeister Sat 07-Sep-13 17:03:29

lego do little lego people in packets that you make up for £1.99 a couple of those thrown in would be good too.

whatareyoueventalkingabout Mon 09-Sep-13 17:28:30

such good ideas! thanks so much everyone

nosleeptilever Mon 09-Sep-13 18:48:35

what we went with air transat. They were ok but like I said food only for subsistence!

Get some kiddie sized headphones so he can watch TV comfortably. I got some on Amazon and they were a life saver!

whatareyoueventalkingabout Wed 11-Sep-13 22:04:12

Chaos! I am waiting for mine to be delivered! Great minds xxx

nancy75 Wed 11-Sep-13 22:16:03

food, food and more food. Plane food is dire when you are an adult, the kids stuff is usually even worse! If he won't eat what they give you then you end up with a very hungry grumpy little person! Long flights are doable with small children, just take twice as much as you think you need and a good nights sleep before you go. We have done quite a few trips to oz with dd I don't remember her ever sleeping on the plane, despite the flight being 26 hours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now