So if you were to go on a family holiday to the US, where would you go?

(30 Posts)
NorbertDentressangle Sat 17-Aug-13 15:50:19

We've been talking about planning a family holiday to the US in a year or two. The DC are currently DD 13 and DS 9.

The trouble is I really don't know where to start in which area(s) we would go to as its so vast and varied. In my head I imagine maybe going to 2 very different states/areas as a contrast but beyond that I'm clueless.

Has anyone been somewhere they'd recommend (or advise against!) or anyone always fancied visiting a particular place? Suggestions as to types of places to stay eg. hotel v apartment.

Guidelines maybe include...not all manic city based, would like somewhere warm, some beach/sea/lakes would be nice, affordable not stupid money.

The only definite is that Disney-type theme parks are a big NO!

Groovee Sat 24-Aug-13 07:35:59

Port Washington in Long Island New York is fab. My cousin lives there and it's just perfect for us. Sarasota in Florida or St Augustine is where we would like to go next.

BlingBubbles Sat 24-Aug-13 07:46:50

Been to the states a few times, before we had Kids, Florida is great, we did Fort Lauderdale, Miami and the Florida Keys! The beaches are great and the weather is super hot. As one poster said up thread there is loads to do in the Keys.

When I was 21 I went with my parents to the west coast, we flew into New York spent a few days, then flew to LA, spent a few days there and then drove to Lake Tahoe spent a week there for Christmas, was then onto Vegas for a night and then back to San Fran. Was a wonderful holiday and would really recommend it.

I live in LA, California does tick a lot of boxes but I'm also in love with NYC and Chicago. I really want to go to Austin too, which is supposed to be fab.

But California is pretty much guarantee to be a good family holiday!

newfavouritething Wed 28-Aug-13 18:31:48

Favourite state to date is Texas, bloody loved it. The JFK museum, Stockyards, Rodeo's etc. Fab. On the same holiday we also went to Houston, New Orleans, Memphis, saw Gracelands, etc etc. Covered a few miles, but very casually so didn't really notice the driving.

pennygallops Sat 31-Aug-13 08:01:49

Hi, I've just returned from a 5 week family holiday in the US, DC 10 and 9. Last year we did 4 weeks.

We like The South! The Carolinas are great and my DC loved the beaches there. I preferred Charleston to Savannah. I would recommend Asheville in N Carolina. It's on the edge on the Appalachian Mountains close to the Blue Ridge Parkway and the Cherokee Reservation. We took an overnight train from Washington DC to Charleston (completed with sleeper cabins) - great experience.

This year we also spent two weeks in Texas - fantastic! Not to everyone's taste but we had a great time. Had a mixed of small places (Paris), country places (Marble Falls) - went to some caverns and a place where there are dinosaur footprints, beach (Galveston Bay) and cities - Dallas/Fortworth (great museum in Dallas - 6th Floor), Austin (a fantastic happening city) San Antonio (Riverwalk and The Alamo) and Houston (lots to do but some crazy driving). The people make Texas - they are so friendly!

Last year we loved Memphis (and Tupelo), but I guess you have to be into Elvis (at least a bit) and other music. My DS got into civil rights (aged 9) after visiting the Civil Rights Museum and learning about MLK's assassination. We also loved New Orleans - great place, love the history and music.

Next time we are thinking about doing Boston, Maine and going West a bit. Then finally Seattle and going down the West Coast and Yosemite, though my son desperately wants to experience Death Valley. Going to use the Amtrak more as it's so good. We avoid Florida like the plague - just not us.

Car hire is essential, going off the beaten track is key and going where other British rarely go is a must! We book both our holidays on-line, adding a hotel here and there, changing our routes, researching places to go. It's all part of the excitement. Enjoy - where ever you end up. I recommend Trip Advisor and Virtual Tourist (great for safety tips).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now