Flying to the US

(12 Posts)
sweetestcup Sun 04-Aug-13 18:53:04

We are off to America in 3 weeks and 6 days grin, first a few nights in New York and then an internal flight to San Francisco. Booked last November and now its nearly here, so excited and looking forward to it! Never been to the US before and we generally don't fly on holidays as we drive to France so looking for last minute tips about flying to America in case I've forgotten anything. We have our ESTAs, but anything else anyone can think of? Its me , DH and our 2 boys aged 5 and 11.

AngusAndElspethsThistleWhistle Sun 04-Aug-13 21:40:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

landing cards are no longer issued, the ESTA has replaced these.

Check bag and weight requirements re the internal fight as costs for extra bags can be very e pensive if extra cases need to go into the hold.

You will on the flight over to the US be given a white customs form, only one per family is required to be completed. This gets handed in at Customs after immigration.

AngusAndElspethsThistleWhistle Mon 05-Aug-13 14:40:29

sweetestcup Mon 05-Aug-13 19:55:45

Thanks! Can hardly contain my excitement but for some reason am quite nervous about the flight, never been on flights so long before, keep thinking I will have forgotten something!

sweetestcup Mon 05-Aug-13 19:58:34

And this is probably a daft question but can you take yoghurts on board, either bought before or after security?

AngusAndElspethsThistleWhistle Mon 05-Aug-13 21:47:37

BreakfastCricket Mon 05-Aug-13 22:52:52

We got yoghurt as part of our second inflight meal an hour or so before we landed... We flew AA Heathrow to Chicago.

sweetestcup Tue 06-Aug-13 21:56:17

Thanks smile

hermioneweasley Tue 06-Aug-13 22:02:45

You definitely can't take any fresh produce in. I thought I was going to Guantanamo because I'd forgotten about An apple in my bag. Proper scary.

When you get there, go to a drugstore and buy melatonin. Take it at the bedtime you are adjusting to and it will help with jet lag. Do the same on the flight back. Stay up as late as you can when you get there - don't nap.

Tipping is expected for everything in the states. Restaurants will expect 15-20% minimum. Have small bills for people who help with your bags, who hail taxis, everything!

sweetestcup Wed 14-Aug-13 22:18:50

Thanks hermione smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now