Orlando weather in August?

(21 Posts)

Anyone been in August? My weather app keeps telling me it is constant rain confused

MOSagain Sat 03-Aug-13 22:59:16

Will be very hot and humid and you will probably get a bit of rain some days but lots of sunshine. We go in 2 weeks and have been the last 4 years in august. Have a great time

mummymeister Sat 03-Aug-13 23:48:04

accuweather is a pretty good site for weather in the us. suggest you check them out. have always found them to be the best personally.

Thanks !! We go in 3 weeks Mos and can't wait. Have a great holiday.

Will check accuweather out mummymeister.

GingerPCatt Sun 04-Aug-13 07:58:53

Lived there for years... It will be horribly hot humid, thunderstorms and a small chance of hurricanes.
If possible plan beach or waterparks and air conditioned activities.
I hated the weather which is why I live in England wink

MOSagain Sun 04-Aug-13 09:25:51

Nothing like trying to put people off!
I don't think its that awful in August, if it was, I wouldn't go every year!

NaturalBlondeYeahRight Sun 04-Aug-13 09:32:11

We went last year and although weather forecast was rain everyday, it was more a case of one or two heavy downpours a day intermingled with sunshine. The rain was a bit of a relief sometimes!!
Was very steamy but would do it again. Wouldn't want to live and work there like ginger but fine for holiday.

Niknakpaddywhack Sun 04-Aug-13 09:50:00

ParanoidAnnie we were in Orlando last year for 2 weeks from 22nd of August. It was our first trip- 2 adults and 2 boys, and I had been told lots of horror stories about it being 'far too hot and wet to go in August' and was getting quite worried about it!

However, although the heat and humidity took a day to adjust to, and we were there when there was a tropical storm so rain for one whole day at least, we had an amazing time!

My ds2 (aged 13 now) talks about our trip every day still! I would just advise you to be prepared- buy ponchos, plan your days for wet or dry days so you don't waste time thinking about what you can do (we went to DisneyQuest on the wettest day, got there early and they let us in) use lots of suncream and drink lots of water on hot days and try not to worry about it.

I'm very envy of you - would love, love, love to go again and would definitely go at the end of August again- the parks are relatively quiet and if you get there for park opening and go straight to your preferred rides you will not queue for long. The longest we waited for a ride was about 20 minutes- don't forget to use your fastpasses. Even at Universal - we got there for opening and went straight to Harry Potter and queued for 10 - 15 minutes.

Hope you have a fabulous time smile.

Hulababy Sun 04-Aug-13 12:10:23

We have been a few times now, always in the summer.

It will be hot and humid, but in our experience it is entirely bearable - especially with the air con all around. I really find heat an issue and even I cope fine smile The one place I really found hard though was the day at the beach as there was no escape from it. The theme parks, etc are all fine - the queues are air conditioned or have cooler fans.

Some years we have had rain most days - but you can see and feel it coming, it lasts an hour or so at most and then it is over. Everything dried up really quickly and although it is heavy rain it is warm rain. Some days you are very grateful of it - it builds up and then the rain cools things down a little for a while smile Last time we had no rain at all - that was the wrmest time.

One year we had a hurricane - it was out first full day there. the parks closed at about 2pm and we headed home. In the house we were fine. Parks reopened an hour later than normal next day, not a thing out of place, not even leaves, lol! Saw posts and lights blown down on the way there though!

Thanks everyone. Was a bit worried there for a minute. Went from being concerned we may get a bit wet to worrying we may get blown away in a hurricane.

I don't mind the heat. I just thought it was going to raining all day every day. All that saving and looking forward to it for the holiday to be ruined by rain.

Reassuring to hear from you all that have been in August.

We can't wait. Just been to get our dollars and the excitement is building gringringrin

3monkeys Sun 04-Aug-13 13:42:05

We go tomorrow! Am a bit nervous about the flights and the queues, kids all excited

Oh 3monkeys. How exciting!! Where are you flying from? We went before a few years ago (March) and the flights were ok. Long but plenty of things to keep you busy.

Have a great time. grin

Hulababy, we were planning a day at the beach but may give it a miss. What beach did you go to?

Niknak thanks for all the great advice. We are all very excited now!

MOSagain Sun 04-Aug-13 14:14:12

We had a fabulous day on the beach in Clearwater last august and have just booked 5 nights at a Clearwater hotel for end of august after we've been to Orlando

Ooh off to google Clearwater Beach smilesmile

lifesgreatquestions Sun 04-Aug-13 16:35:00

When I saw the title of your thread I literally thought "f*****ck". SO you're off tomorrow, you will have a lovely time! Just take lots of very light clothing and flip flops. It's like the Florida equivalent of monsoon season, heavy rains so thick they arrive in a wall you can actually watch approach you, followed intense humidity as the water rises back up. The rains are short lived usually though, and if you're out then they are pleasant, like a warm shower. When I was young I loved cycling in them and the temporary street flooding they produced!

Thanks lifesgreat - going in 3 weeks. Can't wait will try and stop worrying about the weather and pack my flip flops and cagoul !

lifesgreatquestions Sun 04-Aug-13 19:40:58

You'll find no one wears a cagoul, it's too hot, would you rather be covered in sweat as the result of weather a plastic coating in intense heat or wet from clean rain water. An umbrella perhaps, but the rain can be so heavy that you'll be wet up to your knees anyway due to the rain bouncing back up after hitting the ground. Lots of changes of very light clothing - you'll dry quickly and if not you can change. The problem I have when I go back is going in anywhere as it is usually heavily air conditioned and if you're wet then it's very unpleasant!

3monkeys Sun 04-Aug-13 19:51:34

Thanks Annie. The kids are really excited! We've been to Aus before so should be fine. Just can't wait to be there now

Secretswitch Sun 04-Aug-13 19:57:44

Heat and humidity so intense it feels like you are wearing a heavy, wet wool jumper. Air con us everywhere and such a shock to go from heavy heat to extreme cold. Thunderstorms are usually short and intense.
Hope you have an excellent stay..my dd was born in Florida..

Hulababy Mon 05-Aug-13 09:11:15

We never bother with raincoats or ponchos. You can see the rain coming usually. So we head in for late lunches - it is normally early/mod afternoon - or a coffee and sit it out. It is often still fine to sit outside, under cover, unelss winds get up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now