Holidays with a 14 month old. We are knackered and need a break. Does such a thing exist with a 14 month old?!

(6 Posts)
elizabethtailored Mon 29-Jul-13 10:37:18

Holidays with a 14 month old. We are knackered and need a break. Does such a thing exist with a 14 month old?! Looking for a week in August as only time we can both get time off work. A manageable flight. A pool. By a beach would be lovely.

Self catering probably best. Our child does not sleep so we are really nervous of booking a holiday. We tried a week in Devon in April and had to come back as baby screamed all night, we ate our supper in shifts and basically never saw each other so came home early. Was really grim.

Not worried about kids clubs etc as we would like to spend time the three of us as we both work.

Any recommendations for a lovely villa with a pool? Would really like a villa that is actually nice inside so we can happily spend time in there as well as outside. Have not been a great fan of Lanzarote/Spain in the past.

Thank you.

BaskingTurtle Tue 06-Aug-13 04:24:19

You posted under long haul, how far do you want to go? We have a 14 month old and live in the Caribbean, but I wouldn't recommend anything around here in August - it's much to hot for mortals.

I guess it would be hard to go somewhere far now for August anyway, but what is your range?

MillionPramMiles Tue 06-Aug-13 15:18:49

We had a similar experience to your Devon trip when our dd was 5 months old (she's now 14 months). Have a think about:
- when your baby does sleep, is it in bed with you or in a cot? If the latter, could you start using a travel cot at home to get baby used to it then take that with you?
- think about how hot it will be wherever you end up going/whether there's aircon, many babies don't sleep well in the heat.
- you probably don't need jetlag on top of everything else so assume that rules out many long haul destinations?
- is it worth looking at hotels that have a nanny service so you and dh/dp can at least have a meal or two in the evening in peace?

Confess we've resigned ourselves to going to the GPs in Cornwall until dd is older. At least she sleeps well there and we get a break. Anywhere else we'd just be doing the same thing we do at home (but with less sleep).

LindaMcCartneySausage Tue 06-Aug-13 16:50:03

Yes, but you might want somewhere with a kids club. Many will take a 14 month old, if you are prepared to leave her? DS1 loved the one we went to. We also went for the most luxury we could afford. Was worth it.

I'd suggest somewhere without jetlag. Portugal? This place is good

http://www.pinecliffsresidencesuites.com/

Check out the Scott Dunn website too.

Portugal or Turkey ? Yo can get and apartment in Turkey for peanuts. Our is booked unfortunately but could get a two bed for around £250 per week.

apologies I should have read that before posting, terrible spelling and grammar !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now