Would you let your 2 year old go to florida with grandparents?

(25 Posts)
Hiddenbiscuits Sun 31-Mar-13 15:43:07

Just realised that it probably sounded a bit off when i said i hate that kind of thing- what i meant is i can only afford 1 holiday a year and wouldn't ideally choose Florida as dont enjoy flying, more of a spain kinda gal! Like the suggestions of going with them though and going off do do our own thing whilst DD is living it up with minnie mouse... Miami is quite near isnt it? Anything else that could be done in a few days near to orlando?

Groovee Sat 30-Mar-13 18:36:22

It wouldn't have been for me. But the cleaners at my old work, used to take their grandchildren every year on boxing day for a fortnight and leave the parents at home. 2 of their daughters worked with us and they were fine with mum and dad taking their sons away.

MakingAnotherList Sat 30-Mar-13 14:38:39

I think that you should go with them, despite hating "that kind of thing" as a 2 year old child can most definitely enjoy it. It's also much cheaper to take a 2 year old than an older child. Park entry is free smile

forevergreek Thu 28-Mar-13 13:59:59

Hiddenbiscuits- yes, they stay with just grandparents but will see cousins/ aunts/ uncles etc during that week ( or the week we are there too). They have a bedroom there/ toys etc and love it.

Eldest has been 9 times now. However we do fly v regular as a family so that probably helps as they ate both used to flying/ airports etc ( at least once a month).

You mention you could go but Disney isn't your thing. Could you all fly out together, then you could take a local flight somewhere nice for a few days in between but stay with temp them the other days? So maybe fly in together, stay in time share 4 days, then off somewhere alone 4 days to give them some time, then back to timeshare? You could always leave all the Disney to them and the relaxing by pool to you? That way you are semi around, not full 2 weeks, but also a break for you and alone grandparent time for them.

Especially as its anyone share, I would actually try to go with it. Maybe if unsure like I mentioned you could join them annually for a couple of years, and then by 4/5 years she will be accustomed and maybe go alone.? Just an idea

I would also say no to this request and wait till she's a bit older. Its a long time for you both to be separated from each other and your DD may find it all just a bit too much.

Your DD would also need an ESTA to be completed online (this costs $9 US per application and is valid for 2 years).

Apart from anything else they may also need a notarised letter from you giving permission for them to travel with your child into the USA. That's something as well they may well have not considered.

Hulababy Thu 28-Mar-13 10:26:02

The Florida bit isn't what bothers me. My DD was 2y when we first took her and she had an amazing time. The heat didn't bother her. The flights were fine too, no issue at all tbh.

But the being away from home for two weeks, without me, and at such a distance is what would bother me. I would say no and wait til she is older personally.

My 10y DD is away with grandparents this week for 5 days. Home today and I am really looking forward to it. 5 days has seemed long enough for her to be away right now; a week too. But even now, I'd find a fortnight too long!

mummymeister Thu 28-Mar-13 10:22:42

at 2 she wont even remember she has been. thank them for the offer and say that perhaps when she is older it would be better so that she can get more out of it. i can see your mums point of view going as an adult isnt half as great as the oohing and ahhing with little ones but really yours is just too small to get that much out of it.

SquidgyMummy Thu 28-Mar-13 09:45:05

It's lovely that they want to entertain your DD, but perhaps they could build up how long she stays with them to a weekend or 3 nights and do a test flight somewhere closer, and build up to florida when she is 4 or 5.

FWIW I wouldn't be sending DS (2.5) off for so long, I would miss him too much

Skullnbones Thu 28-Mar-13 09:40:50

Nope I wouldn't. And at 2 I don't think the full impact of Disney will do much. Mine are 6 and 3 and we won't be taking them for a couple of years.

Cakethrow Thu 28-Mar-13 09:39:55

I think 2 is too young. It's great that they have such a close relationship but I think it's too far, too long and would be wasted on a two year old.
I would miss mine and they would miss me.
I think even DD (4) would struggle.
Could they go somewhere nearer/for less time to test the water?

No I definitely wouldn't. I would miss them too much, ans I think 2 weeks would be too long for them to be away from home. Plus, there isn't as much there for 2-year olds at the actual theme parks, and I would suggest it would be a waste of money. We (Myself, DP, DS then aged 5 and DD then aged almost 3) went to Disneyland Paris for a week and had a great time - don't regret it etc. But if it were just DD I think we would have regretted going becase there was so much that she was too young for and the queues were stressful.

lljkk Thu 28-Mar-13 09:32:24

Only if they offered to take me, too. grin (Could use some warm sun).

DiscoDonkey Thu 28-Mar-13 09:25:02

I can't wait to take my kids but the youngest five and I still think that is too young to be able to really get the most out of it.

ChocsAwayInMyGob Thu 28-Mar-13 09:23:13

No way.

1) too long to be away from me. I would be utterly miserable. My child would miss me so much too.
2) As another poster said, Disneyland is kind of wasted on a 2yo as they won't remember it. Much better to wait until they're older and can get really excited about it.

PetiteRaleuse Thu 28-Mar-13 09:19:02

I wouldn't but mainly because I can't believe a 2 year old would really enjoy it and the thought of sending her somewhere she may hate so far away would stress me out. How about when she is 5, old enough to remember it later on, to express her feelings so she doesn't go into meltdown at the heat / noise / stress and also able to help decide for herself?

noisytoys Thu 28-Mar-13 09:14:40

We took our own 2 year old to Florida last year and it was hell. The days were too long and too hot, she was too stimulated so cried all day and the time difference meant her routine was thrown. I wouldn't do it again with my own 2 year old never mind letting someone else do it

Hiddenbiscuits Thu 28-Mar-13 09:10:40

Thanks for your replies, i could go too but hate that kind of thing! They are off to florida because they have a timeshare there (my mum remarried and i have much younger half siblings- they always used to go but are grown up now too so think my mum wants to do it all again with the next generation!)

Forevergreek thats really interesting, do they have young cousins etc put there or is it just them and grandparents?

AnnoyingOrange Thu 28-Mar-13 09:05:04

I wouldn't want to take my own toddler to Florida for two weeks

N0tinmylife Thu 28-Mar-13 09:04:57

If it feels wrong to you then it is wrong, whatever anyone else thinks or does. Can't you go as well, and let GP's take her out some days while you are there?

DiscoDonkey Thu 28-Mar-13 09:03:47

No i wouldn't. I think two is too young to really appreciate Disney Florida anyway. How about a compromise and say euro Disney for a few days?

forevergreek Thu 28-Mar-13 09:01:53

I would say its fine. Ours our now nearly 2, and 3.4 years. They have been travelling to Greece and Cyprus a couple of times a year since about 6/7 months old. For a week at a time. They love it!

Grandparents usually fly into London and stay here a week, then fly back to their house/ or a holiday destination in Europe with them for a week. Then we fly out and join them for a week then fly back with children.

They are off with them end of April and already excited

cocolepew Thu 28-Mar-13 09:01:47

No, too far, too young and too long.

Ra88 Thu 28-Mar-13 09:00:46

My dd is almost 4 and I think it's too far and for too long , so no I wouldn't allow it tbh

Hulababy Thu 28-Mar-13 08:58:56

I personally would find it too long and too far.

Hiddenbiscuits Thu 28-Mar-13 08:52:59

DD is 2 and sees grandparents at least twice a week. She is happy to stay overnight there but DM has asked if they can take her to disneyland florida for 2 weeks later on in the year. Has anybody been in this situation? My main worries are the long flight and whether she would be confused or upset being away from home for so long- or would it be a case that she is having so much fun she wouldn't even notice? Parents are early 50s and i trust them completely its just something is niggling at me so just wanted to hear what others would say/ have said to this situation smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now