Want to go to America, budget of £5000 for 5 of us!

(10 Posts)
triplets Wed 27-Mar-13 23:34:59

Hi, we have been pretty much everywhere! San Fran, Sausilito, Sonoma (wine country) Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, Mariposa, Monterey, Carmel, Hearst Castle at San Simeon, Santa Barbara, Big Sur, LA, Palm Springs and Palm Desert, Vegas, Williams in Arizona, Sedona, Scottsdale, Grand Canyon. Lots of small places along the way, some places 3/4 times! I love it smile

Its not the cost of accomodation though it is diff finding rooms for 5, its the cost of the flights. Because of my dh`s illness we cannot pre book, we live from scan to scan.I do love the place, find it exciting, is not a holiday its an adventure!

shesariver Wed 27-Mar-13 21:59:36

triplets we have 4 nights San Francisco during which we will do all the usual touristy things there plus drive up to Bodega Bay where the Birds was filmed, and then a bit of a road trip down the Pacific Coast Highway stopping at Monterey, Santa Barbara and then 4 nights in LA. Ending in 4 nights in Laguna Beach, planning on doing a lot of relaxing plus sightseeing as my DH is a huge film fan and has loads film locations marked out!

Where did you stay?

dabdab Tue 26-Mar-13 23:24:10

Have you tried https://www.airbnb.co.uk/ ? They can give reasonable prices on accommodation. We have also had good luck with homeswaps if you are open to what area you want to stay. www.intervac.co.uk/ is a site we have used before.

triplets Tue 26-Mar-13 23:18:21

I love Calif, been lucky enough to have been there 4 times, I have a penfriend who live 2 hours east of San Francisco. What are you hoping to do in Calif?

shesariver Tue 26-Mar-13 22:19:24

Sounds quite similar to our flights, which is the most expensive part of our holiday. We have 16 nights - 2 in NY and 14 in California plus car hire in California for 2 adults and 2 kids for £6200. The flights were about £2700 as far as I remember out of that.

triplets Tue 26-Mar-13 17:06:24

Thats what I don`t want to do Fluffy, £3500 is a lot of money just for flights. My dh is in remission from cancer and his ins alone is £600!! Want to go to America, if flights to NY are a lot less then that's a good starting place.

Fluffy1234 Tue 26-Mar-13 11:44:04

Have you checked out prices for to Boston or New York? Or are they places you wouldn't fancy. I personally wouldn't spend such a large part of the budget just on flights and then not have much left for everything else.

MOSagain Tue 26-Mar-13 08:19:01

To be honest, that is a pretty good quote. I was hoping to go in August but the best quote for 4 of us (2 children) was more than that, flying to Tampa instead of Orlando which is normally a bit cheaper.

A villa will normally cost you in the region of £500 pw although you might get a late booking from around £425 - 450 for a villa with private pool. Tickets however will probably cost significantly more depending which parks you are going to.

You might be best off trying to get a package

pedrohedges Mon 25-Mar-13 23:20:01

Marking place!

triplets Mon 25-Mar-13 23:19:17

We are all desp to go back to the States, last went in 2007 (pre dh cancer) and shocked now at the airfares! Looking or Aug, looking for adventure, we have been to Calif/Orlando/Vegas but would happily return if we could find cheap flights! Cheapest I have found come out around £3500 for 5 of us and that indirect! Any ideas where the cheapest flight would be to? Thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now