Travel to Australia over Easter help

(15 Posts)
Jollyb Fri 15-Mar-13 21:21:23

Final post - remember you can download and store programmes on BBC iplayer. I think they last for 30 days or so.

Jollyb Fri 15-Mar-13 21:18:36

Ps taking snacks into Australia isn't a problem - it's only fresh food, dairy and meat that they have an issue with.

Jollyb Fri 15-Mar-13 21:16:00

Hi we flew with Singapore airlines to Australia a few weeks ago and they were fine. They provide pillows and blankets so no need to take any travel pillows.

Food wise - the children's meals were pretty good. Our 2 year old daughter had a full sized hot meal, plus several snacks on her tray including fruit. I think she had spaghetti bolognese, chicken stuffed pancakes, fish goujons. Cabin crew were happy to supply a beaker of milk for 'bed time'

Entertainment wise we took an iPad. She mainly watched Zben and Holly but also enjoyed the Toca apps. We bought a set of children's headphones for her - these fitted much better than the ones provided by the airline.

Cbeebies has made it to Australia - you can watch it on foxtel.

Have a good trip

millie19 Fri 15-Mar-13 21:13:10

And don't worry about cbeebies once you're in Oz - there's The Wiggles!

millie19 Fri 15-Mar-13 21:06:49

We flew to NZ (same rules) for 4 months last year and took goats milk in two bottles for our lon/lax and lax/auckland flights for ds, snacks for kids and other bits through and we declared it all and it was fine. Be very clear & honest on your customs forms and you should be ok.....

We flew to aus with SA at Xmas with our 3 1/2 year old.
You can take snacks through Singapore no probs.
Ds has a small 'pillowpet' ( but different brand) but there were pillows and blankets supplied. The plane (a380) was VERY hot so wear layers you can easily take off.
No idea about the apps sorry as we have I pads.
I think Australia actually has cbeebies on tv a s they definately have nick jr.
Ds wasn't interested in the many toys, games colouring etc i brought him, he just slept (fell asleep during take off!) and watched the in flight entertainment, he didn't even want his I pad!

Mutley77 Fri 15-Mar-13 14:44:29

I had teabags in my carry on and some sweets etc. I declared it and there was no problem at all.

I always remember thinking it was such a drama but it is actually only certain foods they are worried about (generally meat products and fresh fruit/ other fresh foods from memory because they are trying to avoid you bringing in any kind of disease and they have a particular concern about fruit fly I think it is). I am sure if you google it you can find out what the rules are, and on the plane you will have to fill out the landing card (or whatever it's called) and it specifies on there what you are not allowed to be bringing in.

BTW singapore were fine with snacks - there were crisps, cereal bars, sandwiches, fruit whenever we needed them so I didn't even open the pringles I'd brought (and those were one of the things I brought into the country with me with no problem). They also have travel pillows so we didn't bother with them - our 2 kids kind of curled up between two seats anyway as they couldn't properly sleep reclined.

feeltheforce Fri 15-Mar-13 14:42:35

Agree with others. I made sandwiches and it was great because my kids are fussy and turned their nose up at Singaporian Airlines food. Are you travelling night or day?

There are literally loads of films and games to choose from on SA video monitors but the ipad is always helpful. Download a few new programme.

However, with such a long flight after a while electronics begin to pale. I was given a tip by the way from a mumsnetter and it worked a treat. Take a load of wrapped little presents. Every three or four hours let them choose one from the bag. The unwrapping and subsequent games keeps them occupied for an hour or so - know two might be a bit young for this.

thestringcheesemassacre Mon 11-Mar-13 15:48:51

In your luggage you can, but they have to be sealed and declared. A total pain as all your luggage will be looked through.

Nothing at all in your carry on.

Plenty of snacks in aus!

glitterbird Mon 11-Mar-13 15:48:48

obviously I would declare any sealed food i was to bring in just in case

Bringing in processed food is fine as long as you declare it.

glitterbird Mon 11-Mar-13 15:46:40

Hi

thanks for the tips. Are we able to bring in any sealed food ie my MIL has asked me to bring her some tea bags (she is Aussie but likes this fairtrade one i get here). also what about sealed snacks like goodies bars. I will probably end up bringing more snacks than less and would prefer not to waste the unopened ones if at all possible

thanks again

There is a Cbeebies website for Australia (if you do a google search you will easily find it). Its all Australian based programme content, no UK programme content. Iplayer won't work outside the UK.

Many airlines have a blanket and pillow on each seat when you board the aircraft.

Bring along enough food for the flights but you must, repeat must, leave behind any uneaten food on the aircraft prior to arrival into Australia. Failure to declare any foodstuffs whatsoever can lead to stiff financial penalties.

thestringcheesemassacre Mon 11-Mar-13 14:17:50

I wouldn't bother with travel pillows at all. You will get some small pillows on the plane.

Definitely take some snacks although Singapore Airlines are v good at giving you extra food when you need it. You can transit the snacks with you. Remember ANY snacks you have with you need to be binned before going through passport control in Aus. They have very strict penalties for bringing food in.

Not sure on the other stuff.

glitterbird Mon 11-Mar-13 14:10:38

Hi

I am traveling to Australia at end of March with DH and 2 children 4.5 & almost 2 years) on Singapore airlines, we all have our own seats. Looking for advice on the following:

travel pillows - necessary do airline provide these any more and if not any advice on best ones for kids. i am not 100% sure if my 2 will even be prepared to wear one of the neck ones but any thoughts on this

food - we have ordered the kids meals but probably need snacks can we bring unopened snacks through singapore transit and onto next flight to Oz or do we need to buy more in Singapore

Entertainment - any recommendations for good kids apps from the google play store. I could not find much for ceebies only a Chuggington game can you even get them. I don't buying some but don't want to pay for a loads of ads.

In Australia - can you get cbeebies content in Australia? i thought that Iplayer might be blocked but what about the games

Any help much appreciated

thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now