Tell me all you know about New England

(10 Posts)
feeltheforce Wed 15-May-13 14:15:21

Vermont is gorgeous and this place is beautiful:
http://www.thesugarhousevt.com Roger who owns is it the sweetest guy.

The Science Museum in Boston is also worth a look - lots and lots to do and see there, for all ages. You don't have to spring for the Imax theater or planetarium shows to get a good day out.

There are also Duck Tours in cities like Boston and Hyannis which I hear are fun. My in-laws went on one and had a good time.

Check the weather channel for temps and weather - will give you an idea of what conditions are like just now. Sometimes it's warm and sunny, but sometimes it's rainy, like this week.

Going in October it will be cold, but colorful and New England loves Halloween. In addition to city stuff, the suburbs and countryside usually have things going on like hayrides, apple picking and I think corn mazes around that time. Just be warned that some of the hayrides and corn mazes are put on as "haunted" and those can be properly scary - might be a bit too much for your kids to take, depending on how active their imaginations are (my DSD had nightmares for years after watching The Wizard of Oz...).

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 07-May-13 13:44:29

Easter could be not that FAB for weather too. We spent 7 of 10 days in mid to late May wearing rain coats.
Boston has an amazing children's museum that at those ages they would enjoy.

youbethemummylion Sat 04-May-13 08:08:25

Hi Sorry been away for a bit, we are thinking of New England exactly because there is no Disney beaches, trees etc sounds excellent and the kids will love it.

Will look up the places recommended, I have always wanted to visit Salem.

Thanks for the tips everyone

Bunbaker Fri 22-Mar-13 21:23:11

"Not that much for children imo unless they like beaches,coast,trees.Lovely scenery but there is no Disney etc"

Children's holidays don't all have to be about beaches, Disney and theme parks. I don't understand why parents think that holidays have to be all about what the children want and not about what the adults want as well. There are loads of things to see and do in New England that will appeal to children.

We went in October many years ago and visited Plimoth Plantation, Hancock Shaker village, Old Sturbridge Village, Salem - loads of witchy type stuff to see, plus loads of history, Weston in Vermont - absolutely beautiful and Boston of course.

We loved it and would go back.

Burlington is cute and you can take a ferry over to Plattsburgh and then drive to Lake Placid (bunch of outdoor sporty things to do) or you could drive north a couple of hours and have lunch/overnight in Montreal plus you have to have icecream when you are there smile

gourd Sun 10-Mar-13 21:24:37

Not that much for children imo unless they like beaches,coast,trees.Lovely scenery but there is noDisney etc

youbethemummylion Mon 04-Mar-13 07:16:46

thanks for the info, sounds like it might be best to try and go earlier for the better weather. I will check it out, thanks.

mummymeister Sun 03-Mar-13 22:35:10

We went in oct the weather was decidely dodgy though and we had no dcs but had we it might have been a pain in the rain as it were. loved boston, loved dennisport and particularly enjoyed travelling around rather than staying in one place. check out accuweather website to see what the temps are and decide if its ok for you.

youbethemummylion Sun 03-Mar-13 20:31:11

Hi,

We are thinking of going to New England for 10 days with DS's who will then be 4 and 7.

When would be best to go, Easter for the weather or October so we can see all the trees in their autumn foliage and also do Halloween american style?

Where is best to stay? I like the idea of Maine but maybe Vermont would be better?

As people thet found driving in Spain a bit scary do you think we would cope with driving over there?

Will there be enought to do for the kids which is typically American/New England for the kids?

Should we rent a house by a lake/the sea (my ideal accomodation) or stay in a hotel, so we have access to knowledgable people who can give us hints about where to go etc?

Basically if you know anything at all about this region of America then please share. Thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now