August - Mauritius or Barbados?

(7 Posts)
Gorran Mon 28-Jan-13 19:20:07

We decided to go for Barbados in the end as couldn't get the Mauritius flights home before my children go back to school.

As mentioned above, we've been to Barbados in August before and we did have days where it rained, but it didn't stop play! If my girls were in the pool anyway then they might as well stay in it, the rain doesn't matter!

upinthehills Sun 27-Jan-13 07:57:03

There is the risk in Barbados of bad weather - we were going to go one october but house sale fell through so we couldnt. It turned out the weather would have been terrible as it did get a tropical storm/ hurricane.

solittletime Sun 27-Jan-13 07:47:52

Barbados is safe from hurricanes but you will still get rainy days and grey skies.

Azure Sat 19-Jan-13 22:25:51

We had a great holiday in Mauritius in late July (children then 9 and 5), staying on the west side. Weather was really nice - warm but not too hot so we didn't have to worry about covering up or sun cream every 5 minutes. We had a hire car the whole time so could take trips to the safari park, sugar museum etc.

Gorran Sat 19-Jan-13 21:01:31

We went in August before so that doesn't bother me, as far as hurricane season in the Caribbean goes, Barbados is a 'safer' island.

Isn't August hurricane season in the Caribbean?

TBH I always think of both of those as places to go when it's winter here.

Gorran Sat 19-Jan-13 20:23:16

Trying to decide between the two, nice dilemma I know.

We went to Barbados 2 years ago and loved it, stayed at the Turtle Beach and would go back there. Went to Mauritius on honeymoon 10 years ago (it's our 10yr anniversary in September so it seems quite fitting to be returning there this year) and had a fab time, though as couldn't afford to stay where we did then. We've now got two children, they'll be 5 and 8 when we go.

So, which would you choose and why? I know August is winter in Mauritius but we'd be staying on the west coast which is gather is less windy and the weather is actually quite nice that time of year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now