India (mumbai and goa) when Pregnant - Anyone advice?

(9 Posts)
Keavs Tue 29-Jan-13 11:26:05

Thanks CaseyShraeger!

Do you have any advice about Sri Lanka when pregnant? I would be staying near the coast so not in an tropical areas. thank you

CaseyShraeger Mon 28-Jan-13 15:19:55

Mumbai isn't malarial (have been in January before, not pregnant but with a baby) but Goa is. When we went to Mumbai we were staying in a 5 star hotel in Bandra and that was absolutely fine, no one got ill at all. I did feel limited on what we could do outside, though, because I was concerned about DD1 who was at the crawling-and-putting-everything-in-her-mouth stage.

I did turn down a business trip to India when I was pregnant, though, as I wasn't comfortable about the risk (and didn't know the hotels, etc.).

In your position I wouldn't go to Goa because of the malaria; I might well (given you've been before and know the hotel) go to Mumbai.

Keavs Mon 28-Jan-13 15:11:15

Thanks guys.... I agree. So is Sri Lanka ok when pregnant?

upinthehills Thu 17-Jan-13 12:19:45

If you are just going to stay in the hotel and the odd walk in Goa, tbh, I really wouldn't bother - the risk of being sick is just not worth it. If it was a big family do or a wedding you were missing if it was me, I may consider it, but just for a break - no.

I was really bothered by smells when I was pregnant and felt sick a lot though. Sorry no tips, only got a far a Maderia when pregnant and even then the funny smell in holiday house made me feel sick all the time!

Keavs Thu 17-Jan-13 12:14:38

Thanks for the info.... I was actually just thinking I would meet my husband in Thailand now as it might just be the safer option... I've been there a few times and know it's fine. Thinking of staying in Koh Samui as it's v simple travel wise. However, there is apparently a "low to no risk of malaria" there too. I've never taken anti-malaria there so I am sure it will be fine. I know the food is much better there too. What do you think?

If you have any tips for Thailand when pregnant please let me know? thanks again

Wobblypig Sun 13-Jan-13 19:06:23

Yes, I went when I was pregnant, much better not sick

Keavs Sun 13-Jan-13 11:16:26

Thanks Wobblypig... I know what you mean, I've been to other places in SE Asia too but India just seems a bit risky... especially with the sickness.

How about Sri Lanka? Have you been there? Is that any better?

Thanks

Wobblypig Fri 11-Jan-13 19:44:28

My experience of being ill in India is that I definitely would not go whilst pregnant. We were very careful but still got extremely sick staying in 5 star hotels. I have travelled a lot throughout Asia and Southeast Asia and India is the only place I felt I couldn't take very young children due to the fear of illness.

Keavs Fri 11-Jan-13 19:19:50

I'm currently 19 weeks pregnant. My husband will be working in India (Mumbai) for 4 weeks in February. So the idea is that we go to Goa for a week the end of January (after my 20 week scan - will be about 22 weeks then) then I spend another week with him in Mumbai.

I have been to the hotel in Mumbai before - it is 5 star and I know it is very good and very clean. I will basically stay put in the hotel for the week and won't leave. I have never been to Goa but plan to go to South Goa and again stay in a good 5 star hotel and would only leave to have walks on the beach.

All my injections are up-to-date from a previous trip pre-pregnancy. My main concern is malaria, as you cannot take malaria tablets when pregnant. Not sure how risky this would be in those 2 areas?

Has anyone visited India (ideally Mumbai and Goa) when pregnant that could offer some advice from their own experience?

Would really appreciate it!

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now