Travel insurance when pregnant

(7 Posts)
MummyDuckAndDuckling Tue 15-Jan-13 22:44:44

I travelled at 15 weeks pregnant with virgin insurance. I'm 99% sure they covered pre term labour

preggersbycheggers Sun 13-Jan-13 16:44:05

Direct Line will also cover you.

I am also yet to check Churchill and Virgin.

KnockedUpMell Fri 11-Jan-13 14:59:24

Virgin! Not Virginia!!!

KnockedUpMell Fri 11-Jan-13 14:59:06

I searched on money supermarket and I think it was either Virginia or debenhams I used. I'm pretty sure it included preterm labour. And the airlines didn't have any trouble once I showed my doctors letter. I was 29 weeks going out and just under 32w coming back. I didn't need a second letter for the way back, they were happy to accept the one from uk. Enjoy your trip. Just be sure to take your notes and make a note of closest hospital with scbu.

Mutley77 Fri 11-Jan-13 14:52:11

I would be very careful with this - I am not sure that there are any companies that will cover you for pregnancy related issues if you are already pregnant at the time of arranging the insurance. Certainly they generally wouldn't cover any expenses for the baby and if you have a baby at 29 weeks your baby will need SCBU and won't be able to fly home for a number of weeks.

Bear in mind you will also need a medical certificate to travel beyond 28 weeks with most airlines. They often want this written 5-7 days in advance of travel so if you are away for longer than 5 or 7 days (depending on their policy) you will also need to see a doctor in Dubai to get a note to cover the return journey. If you had any bleeding or similar during the trip they certainly wouldn't be happy for you to get on a plane to fly home until after you'd had the baby.

I don't want to worry you but I would look at this really carefully before going - chances are you will be fine but if there is a problem it could be very stressful and costly. May be worth delaying until the baby is here - Dubai is very child friendly AFAIK and if you went when the baby was 8 weeks or so it is a good time to fly and baby would be free.

Good luck.

OliviaPeacein2013Mumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 07-Jan-13 22:29:53

Hi there
We have moved this to our travel topic (and added the words "when pregnant" to help folk see what your query is about)
Good luck with the trip, the insurance and the impending arrival
MNHQ

AbirdN8 Mon 07-Jan-13 16:00:46

Hi
I am travelling to Dubai next week for a mini break, I will be 29 weeks pregnant.

My current travel insurance cover applies:
if during the course of your trip you suffer an unexpected and unforseen illness or bodily injury that has a direct impact on the pregnancy. Cover will not apply in any other circumstance, including the normal costs associated with pregnancy and childbirth.

Does anyone know of an insurance company that will cover me if I go into early natural labour? The above wording seems to suggest that I'm only covered if I get ill as a result of my pregnancy.

I have checked other policies and they all seem to say the same thing.

Many thanks
Antonia

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now