Australia with kids - emirates or Singapore airlines?

(38 Posts)
permaquandry Fri 04-Jan-13 21:59:55

Any experience go above airline to oz with kids and which is better? Thx

SavoyCabbage Mon 07-Jan-13 10:53:29

I don't know what to tell you. It definitely happened.

Also, I wasn't allowed to take my dd's allergy medicine (anti-histamine syrup) through Dubai despite having a prescription and letter from her GP.

mateysmum Mon 07-Jan-13 10:54:32

There are still some bus transfers at DXB but it's much better than before. Again, go for an A380 flight and they should all board from the gate.

mateysmum Mon 07-Jan-13 10:55:36

Sounds like you were really unlucky Savoy.

MOSagain Mon 07-Jan-13 11:00:15

I'm not saying it didn't happen, just very suprised as I've never had that sort of problem. <mos wonders whether they were nicer to her as wearing an abaya?> I'd have really argued the refusal to take medication. If you have a doctors letter they have to let you take it.

permaquandry Mon 07-Jan-13 11:01:15

Thx for all the replies. Kids are 7 and 4 so don't need a pushchair r)

I think I'm going to go for Singapore, I've heard nothing but good things.

Now I need to decide the timing, one poster suggested eve flight with pjs for first leg. Is it worth an overnight stop, or is it best to get to oz as quickly as poss?

drcrab Mon 07-Jan-13 11:33:34

eve flights are great - get the kids in pjs on the land side, get on board with snuggly toys etc. They can watch a film, have some food and they'll 'knock off' by midnight UK time (which is fine - really). They'll sleep all the way till the pilot turns on the lights again upon nearing Singapore.

Get off, stretch...hang out at the airport (honestly, it's NOTHING like heathrow...). The kids will probably think they're already on holiday. But if they can, connect on to OZ... why not....! it depends on how much time you have, and perhaps the cost of things...

kelly14 Mon 07-Jan-13 12:15:06

i only ever fly emirates and they have gone down!! just flew back from dubai yesterday and they overbooked my flight which saw me and dd (7) having to go in hotel and wait 12 hours! we did get a free return flight each to dubai but still not happy!.

I also lived in sydney so flew alot to dubai as parents lived there 8 years.
I have to fly with clexane injections and have before flown with prozac and prescribed medications and have never been stopped in dubai and always found the airport very friendly.

I have never flown singapore but we are considering it for trip to sydney in march as emirates have been so bad!
I cant use my airmiles to upgrade, tried last 10 flights and also the last business class flight i did take on the airbus, my seat would not lie flat (would not even recline) and my tv did not work and when i complained via letter they just said sorry but we not interested basically!!

goosd luck

Definitely go for the overnight flight out of London. Most flights will have a couple of hours to re-fuel, tidy and re-stock in Singapore so if you can keep going then do it. It is hard but then it is done.

PollyPeck Mon 07-Jan-13 13:42:28

Etihad are also very good and they have a sale on but you do have a stop in Abu Dhabi. The flight connection times are good though and the airport is good too. It's a really long long-haul in economy if you do it without a break.
We flew with three young children and had a stopover for a couple of days in Singapore which was great and broke the journey nicely. Singapore has a very 'safe' feel with children. If you do this I'd go with Singapore airlines.
Try to get a window seat on the right (not over the wing!) and you get a really good view of Sydney harbour coming in to land, great if it's a night flight with an early morning arrival but it's the sunny side and hot with children if it's a daytime leg.
Have a fab trip. Oz is spectacular!

charlearose Thu 10-Jan-13 00:02:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CrackerSnacker Sat 12-Jan-13 19:26:39

This is all good news - I'm stopping at Changi on the way to Melbourne in July with 3yr old DD.

Daft question - what currency do I need for the airport?

I have just come back from Australia, flew Singapore Airlines they were brilliant with my ds1 and dd4, I would stop on the way back if I was you, going home on a long flight is always harder than starting your holiday. We stopped in Singapore for 4 nights and had a great time, Singapore Zoo is amazing have breakfast with the Orang u Tangs, watch the elephants at work. There are lots of other things to do in Singapore, although hotels can be expensive.

I have just come back from Australia, flew Singapore Airlines they were brilliant with my ds1 and dd4, I would stop on the way back if I was you, going home on a long flight is always harder than starting your holiday. We stopped in Singapore for 4 nights and had a great time, Singapore Zoo is amazing have breakfast with the Orang u Tangs, watch the elephants at work. There are lots of other things to do in Singapore, although hotels can be expensive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now