We are off to California!!

(222 Posts)
shesariver Mon 05-Nov-12 09:26:01

After many hours research and lots of help from fellow Mumsnetters on my previous thread now cant quite believe that we are all booked up (through Trailfinders) so thanks again!

Final Itinerary worked out - we fly out from Glasgow next August 31st and spend 2 nights in New York, and then fly onto California.

4 nights San Francisco, then pick up a car - 1 night Monterey - 1 night in Santa Barbara (at a lovely hotel right across from the beach) - 4 nights Los Angeles - and last but not least 4 nights in an ocean front room in a hotel on Laguna Beach!

Now we can start planning all we want to do!

zanz1bar Fri 28-Jun-13 22:53:56

Ummm it's looking a bit hot in California.
Getting a bit worried about the car breaking down in death valley and the whole family roasting.
Never experienced heat like that before, any tips?

I haven't looked. We are off on Thursday and will be in Death Valley this time next week - yikes!

Is it bad?

zanz1bar Sat 29-Jun-13 09:59:23

Dam hot, record breaking hot, hotter than its ever been in recorded history.
I don't think I have even broken into a sweat running for a bus this year.
May have to rethink the trip, work out what I can cancel last minute and head to the coast.

Just looked. Ouch. We have lived in hot countries so are not unused to the heat but that does seem hot!

Not sure what if anything we can cancel tbh. It's all booked.

Last time I was in Vegas it was so cold the fountains were frozen. Talk about from the sublime to the ridiculous!

We fly on Thursday and get to Las Vegas in the evening and are supposed to be driving to Death Valley on Friday.

zanz1bar Sat 29-Jun-13 13:22:49

We fly on Friday. Hope it cools down a bit, never thought I would hope for cooler weather

Well I have checked and we could cancel Death Valley but DH won't hear of it. Apparently there is no way he is missing going to the hottest place on earth at the hottest time. DS agrees. I suspect we will be spending a lot of time in the hotel! I warned him I will overheat and get grumpy and he said no change there. Cheeky sod!

I think we wil be buying one of those cool boxes you can plug into the car. We also have one of those bottles that has a fan and sprays you with water. Will drink loads and be careful. Not planning on hiking anywhere anyway.

I think the weather is supposed to cool a bit during the week. Not sure we will notice though!

Stylelostinlabour Sat 29-Jun-13 20:30:53

Oh here you all are - we go on 19th July and our trip is

SF - 4 days
Yosemite - 3 days at evergreen lodge not sure what to expect and have banked on this part costing lots due to nothing around

Monterey 2 days

LA - 5 days

So excited, was planning on getting SF city pass as worked out we wouls ave quite a bit as wanted to do a few of the things.

Anyone got any top tips for LA only bit we havent planned at near Dana Point was going to kick back and relax a bit.

clam Sun 30-Jun-13 12:05:41

Am going to have to hide this thread as it's making me too jealous. We did this trip last August and I would give anything to go back again. envy

clam Sun 30-Jun-13 18:41:45

We stayed at evergreen lodge. Loved it! They have a pool there now. Great for relaxing by. It's not far outside the official gate of the park and probably about Half an hour to the main central village-although there are plenty of places to stop for views on the way.

mrswobblebottom Fri 12-Jul-13 18:04:08

Anyone back from their Californian trips? Any recommendations for us yet to go?

BreakfastCricket Fri 12-Jul-13 20:08:14

If you have teenage daughters check out Brandy Melville . We visited it at Spectrum Shopping Mall, Irvine. PacSun also good.

We did a night at San Diego - found downtown San Diego really disappointing. Redeeming feature was a Segway tour at Mission Beach mid morning. About $50 per person per hour along Mission Beach boardwalk. Outstanding!

Took mine to Venice Beach and in the space of a zany 15 minutes they witnessed a non-violent homophobic mugging and saw two different couples having sex on the beach. Lived up to my advance description as being a colourful place to go... In the whole of our 16 days this was the only dodgy thing we saw. Felt really safe and absolutely secure wherever we went apart from that brief spell...

We did the Warner Brothers studio tour and got into the Big Bang Theory studio. I was really sceptical about going but my 16 year old & 13 year old loved it and even though we saw no stars - just buildings and parking spaces they were really excited. (we went on July 4 so it was quiet!!) Got genuine TBBT t shirts for $25.

Check out the price of sushi. Compared to the UK it is insanely cheap. We ate sushi every other day.

BreakfastCricket Fri 12-Jul-13 20:39:00

Should have said the weather got to 110* at a Six Flags Hurricane Harbour water park at Santa Clarita north of LA. Re named by us the boiling water park. The ground got really hot as did metal railings etc.
When temperatures as high then jelly shoes or surf shoes better than flip flops for the rides as they stay on your feet and you don't go barefooted. You can buy them for a few dollars in Old Navy.

There were stories of a few people queuing in the 'rides' park next door for 90 minutes in the sun who were really struggling apparently and fainting and throwing up...

Remember to check out online discount codes before you buy any tickets. We got a 40% discount on Six Flags entry. Elsewise just cover your shoulders, pack sun cream in every bag and drink loads. On the downside be prepared to go looking for toilets every hour.

mrswobblebottom Sat 13-Jul-13 15:34:33

I was looking at a possible water park day while in LA area. There is six flags, raging waters or knotts soak city anyone been to them. Trip advisor gives missed reviews of them all?! How do they compare to the Disney/Aquatica Florida ones which we loved?

Also would like to do a studio tour, looking at warners or paramount, are they worth the $50 each entry? While near Hollywood cant miss out!

rubyrubyruby Mon 15-Jul-13 09:47:03

style we are in SF at the same time as you and then off to Yosemite grin

mrswobblebottom

Children under 8 are not permitted to go on the Warner Brothers studio tour. All adults must show legally issued photo id at check in.

This site gives more information:-
vipstudiotour.warnerbros.com

Children under the age of 12 are not permitted to go on the Paramount Studios tour
www.paramountstudiotour.com/index.html

What part of LA are you staying in; the whole Los Angeles county area is truly vast and will have some bearing.

Knotts Soak City is situated in the city of Buena Park which is located near Anaheim. The theme park Knotts Berry Farm is located opposite the water park.

Six Flags park is located at Valencia which is about 60-90 minutes drive north of Hollywood.

mrswobblebottom Mon 15-Jul-13 15:21:05

Attila we are near Pan Pacific park, near The Grove shopping centre which is West Hollywood I think and have a car so could probably get anywhere, it depends on how much time it takes to see the main touristy must see places first, as probably wouldn't use a day at a waterpark unless time leftover.

Youngest child is 11, looks older so perhaps ok for any studio tour if she's not ID'd? Would still like to go on a studio tour, so will investigate further.

What's Griffith park like anyone know?

Calypso2 Mon 15-Jul-13 16:40:09

So pleased to find this thread. We're planning a 3 week trip for next summer (I know - I do like to book early!) with our 3 teens.

We'd love to have 1 week just chilling somewhere where the kids may meet other teens - hotel/apartment block or campground (with log cabins) either in Santa Cruz area, Santa Monica or somewhere south of LA in the orange country (Laguna beach?) Would welcome any recommendations. Can't wait to hear from all those who are making their trips this summer.

rubyrubyruby Mon 15-Jul-13 18:18:24

Calypso - I have 3 teens so I will report back.

sweetestcup Mon 15-Jul-13 21:11:18

Im the OP of this thread - cant believe I booked this way back on 5 November last year, and now its only 6 weeks and 5 days till we go! Getting really excited now. DH has booked the Warner brothers studios tour and I will have a lovely morning in the hotel pool with the boys whilst hes there, our youngest is only 5 so too young, but as DH is a huge film fan didn't want him to miss out!

Tigerstripes Tue 16-Jul-13 22:15:22

I'm really excited too: we have been talking about a west coast trip for over two years, booked it about 8 months ago, have worked our arses off to pay for it and have been planning since! Now only one week to go!

We have booked most things now. Just big sur accommodation to go as we keep changing our mind about where we want to stay!

rubyrubyruby Wed 17-Jul-13 07:43:00

Byeeeeee!!!!

aftermay Mon 22-Jul-13 13:02:38

Calypso - have you booked your flights already? We are also planning for next summer but haven't got started yet.

Have a lovely time those going this summer. Let us know what was great.

rubyrubyruby Mon 22-Jul-13 15:20:54

We've arrived in SF after east coast.

I can recommend a fab hotel in New York for families if anyone needs one.

aftermay Mon 22-Jul-13 15:38:33

Ruby - have a lovely time. Where did you stay in NY? Is everything packed?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now