Two questions - best hotel in hong kong and what's cathay pacific like?

(9 Posts)
mungojerrie Tue 06-Nov-12 15:53:39

If your budget won't stretch to the luxuries of the Mandarin, Pen etc, have a look at the YMCA on Salisbury Road - it has excellent views and location and is a really good cheaper alternative.

Enjoy!

shinybaubles Mon 29-Oct-12 18:35:29

Wow thankyou for all the responses, I have internet problems so had to wait a while to reply.
Feeling reasured about Cathay Pacific.
Great idea tilbatilba - would love to do that. Thankyou everyone have made a list of hotels mentioned and am going to spend the evening googling - internet permitting.

OrangeKat Mon 29-Oct-12 18:26:16

I love Cathay pacific- they and singapore are my favourite airlines.
We have stayed at Langham place which is down in Mongkok, very funky. Also look at the Peninsula or the Mandarin if money is no object.

I love HK, it's my second favourite city in the world <jealous face>.

tilbatilba Mon 29-Oct-12 18:22:03

We stayed at the Island Shangri - La and loved it. Loved the location, the great shopping just minutes away, the hotel restaurants are lovely too. We were there about 10 days with our two young children and it was perfect.
The Pen sometimes has a lunch time deal where you fly from the island and land on their roof top heli pad ....it is the most exhilarating experience, especially looking down between the high rises ...the lunch is pretty amazing too....then you are flown back....you really will feel like a Bond girl then!!!

Honestyisbest Mon 29-Oct-12 17:44:37

Cathay is fab. We stayed at the Mandarin Oriental was fantastic! Not so keen on the Shangri La on Kowloon, stayed there too. We went with our two children who were around ten and seven at the time. have fun!

Another Cathay fan here. Would definitely choose over BA or Virgin.

Hotels can be very pricey. There are a number of chain hotels up Nathan Road which will be cheaper than those in Central/Admiralty on HK island and the waterfront hotels on the Kowloon side.

HK is my favourite city, have a wonderful time!

shinybaubles Mon 29-Oct-12 17:42:12

Thanks for the quick response, good to know that Cathay Pacific is good as we have saved up for club class tickets as it's such a long time and we're going without the children.
I was looking at the Island Shangri - La, and the Four Seasons, but I'm going to google those you mention. The Peninsula is a bond dream, not sure if I would feel a bit out of place.

tilbatilba Mon 29-Oct-12 17:33:12

Cathay Pacific is fabulous - you'll never fly BA again ! They are brilliant with children, service is wonderful,super clean interior, food great and have an excellent safety record. We fly with them several times a year, 9+ hours. CX and Emirates are my favourites.
Re hotels, depends on your budget really - hotels in HKG are expensive and rooms on the small side. The Langham is great, I love The Peninsula. Sometimes stay at The Shangri-La ....have never stayed at The Mandarin but would like to! All these hotels are in great spots.

shinybaubles Mon 29-Oct-12 14:10:23

Going to Hong Kong early next year, have booked flights with Cathay Pacific, but am begining to doubt my choice and wonder whether I should have stuck to BA?
Also can anyone recommend a hotel in Hong Kong from personal experience as it seems as if there are many very good ones.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now