Travel to Africa - to travel or not to travel?

(3 Posts)
GlobeDU Wed 09-Jan-13 09:07:58

Living in Africa myself (and having grown up in a high-risk-malaria area) I understand your concerns.

Travelling without being able to take anti-malarials is a risk but you can minimise this risk by ensuring that you always use insect repellant. A good idea is to get yourself a lotion based one and use it as body cream in the morning. Then remember to continuously apply in the late afternoon (dusk and night are the highest risk times). Sleeping under a mosquito net is also a big plus.

DrSeuss Tue 16-Oct-12 07:21:51

I nearly went to Kenya when PG but didn't as you can't take anti malarials and can't have any new jabs if yours have run out.

DaniJ Mon 15-Oct-12 12:09:42

Hi all. My first mumsnet post! Please help! I travel to Africa with work around 4x per year (Malawi, Zambia mostly) and was planning another trip in November. Just spoken to a nurse at the travel clinic who recommended I don't travel due to risks to myself and the baby (mostly malaria). I will be 18 weeks by the time I travel. Has anyone else travelled to Africa when pregnant and how did you weigh up the risks? Thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now